853 With Fuel Problems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

New to forum. I have had a '93 I think 853 for at least 10 years. Boss with 3000 hours on the Isusu. Thanks for having me. It would act like it was not getting enough fuel, but would run great in a bucket of fuel, so I changed the bulb, but that did not help.....changed the pickup tube and fuel line to the filter and it ran great for an hour or so, and then acted just it did before, starving for fuel, but would run... barely. It will not fill the bulb up again. I have not repeated the hose in the bucket of fuel, yet. The old pickup tube looked ok, but I did not inspect, thinking it was the problem. Any other ideas.......or do I have something in the tank stopping up the tube? I loosened the fuel cap and no changes. The cap is new within the last 100 hours. There is a check valve in the tube, so no reverse blowing correct? This has been a great site. I learned about the fan oil level on here, (it was low) and other insightful checks.

Tazza

Staff member
Is the primer blub being sucked flat? or can you feel that there is air in the line when you squeeze it?
If it goes flat, you have a restriction, if it feels like there is air, you have a leak somewhere.

OP
OP

Is the primer blub being sucked flat? or can you feel that there is air in the line when you squeeze it?
If it goes flat, you have a restriction, if it feels like there is air, you have a leak somewhere.
I did not check the bulb when it was running, but after it was not flat....but when I tried to squeeze it, it would go flat and not fill back up? Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
I did not check the bulb when it was running, but after it was not flat....but when I tried to squeeze it, it would go flat and not fill back up? Thanks.
That sounds like the pickup screen in the tank could be clogged, even trash can get stuck in the elbow from the tank.

7LBSSMALLIE

That sounds like the pickup screen in the tank could be clogged, even trash can get stuck in the elbow from the tank.
fuel delivery pump on izuzi 37 psi. a lot more than we are used too. run that pump dry its toast it depends on fuel delivery for lubrication..

OP
OP

I am not near my service manual. Is there a screen and a pickup tube, or are you referencing the same? If there is a separate screen, where is it and how do I get to it? Also, what would be the best way to clean the tank out? Thanks again.

OP
OP

Rereading your post, it sounds like you mean the pickup tube. I was wondering why they had a 90 degree elbow leaving the tank. I am not looking forward to pulling that again. Trying to figure out how I got trash in the tank, as I am a stickler for wiping off caps.

OP
OP

Rereading your post, it sounds like you mean the pickup tube. I was wondering why they had a 90 degree elbow leaving the tank. I am not looking forward to pulling that again. Trying to figure out how I got trash in the tank, as I am a stickler for wiping off caps.
Thank 7lbs. I did no know that. It did run great, hopefully....

7LBSSMALLIE

Some times you can get algae growing in the fuel, or even rubbish got in there from the previous owner.
I curenntly have one down now eng seems to run fine compression within spec. (try to drive into a pile and lift she falls on face. pulled inj pump and inj:s sent to injection shop. ill post results

kilohertz

I curenntly have one down now eng seems to run fine compression within spec. (try to drive into a pile and lift she falls on face. pulled inj pump and inj:s sent to injection shop. ill post results
Any progress 7240?
I just got down to the bare bones with my 853 machine, trying to get it running and I can tell you there is no lift pump in these, it's a straight line from the tank to the bulb, to the filter, to the IP. Bobcat dealer confirmed this. The IP is a two stage with a mechanical prepump built into. Mine has a problem that is a runaway condition...not fun.
Let us know how you made out
cheers

OP
OP

Any progress 7240?
I just got down to the bare bones with my 853 machine, trying to get it running and I can tell you there is no lift pump in these, it's a straight line from the tank to the bulb, to the filter, to the IP. Bobcat dealer confirmed this. The IP is a two stage with a mechanical prepump built into. Mine has a problem that is a runaway condition...not fun.
Let us know how you made out
cheers
Not at home, and when I get there I have too many other projects.....will most likely be this summer. I have loaned the machine out, so hope the tank did not get contaminated, but must be something in there. Maybe algae. I will try and report any findings. Thanks for asking and hope you get yours going ok.

OP
OP

Not at home, and when I get there I have too many other projects.....will most likely be this summer. I have loaned the machine out, so hope the tank did not get contaminated, but must be something in there. Maybe algae. I will try and report any findings. Thanks for asking and hope you get yours going ok.
The good news is that the 853 has a fuel drain in the bottom of the pan...the bad news is that the tank was full. It seemed to have dirt or gravel in the fuel. I not only disposed of all 25 gallon, but rinsed it 3 times with about 2 gallons each. It looked like I had almost no dirt in the last rinse, so I pulled the pickup tube, (still have scares almost a month later) and it had the same type material on it. Cleaned it off, and it would pass air easily. It ran great for about an hour and a half, and then sucked the squeeze bulb in again! It ran fine like as always in a bucket of full.... Has anyone ever had the inside of the tank come loose? Although.... it seems to be the dirt. Not sure how it got in there, as I am meticulous about cleanliness and fluids. What if the pickup screen was done away with and just the spring left, and put in a second inline fuel filter?

Tazza

Staff member
The good news is that the 853 has a fuel drain in the bottom of the pan...the bad news is that the tank was full. It seemed to have dirt or gravel in the fuel. I not only disposed of all 25 gallon, but rinsed it 3 times with about 2 gallons each. It looked like I had almost no dirt in the last rinse, so I pulled the pickup tube, (still have scares almost a month later) and it had the same type material on it. Cleaned it off, and it would pass air easily. It ran great for about an hour and a half, and then sucked the squeeze bulb in again! It ran fine like as always in a bucket of full.... Has anyone ever had the inside of the tank come loose? Although.... it seems to be the dirt. Not sure how it got in there, as I am meticulous about cleanliness and fluids. What if the pickup screen was done away with and just the spring left, and put in a second inline fuel filter?
Never seen the internals fall apart on a tank. Could it be trash stuck in a corner that you didn't move with adding fuel? The ideal way is to have it out and give it a good clean, but not so easy as the motor needs to come out.
I just let the fuel settle out and re-use the stuff on top and dump the rubbish at the bottom.
One thing i have had issues before was algae, i removed the filter screen and just replaced the fuel filter more often, seemed to do the trick. But it's not the ideal way to do it though.

OP
OP

Never seen the internals fall apart on a tank. Could it be trash stuck in a corner that you didn't move with adding fuel? The ideal way is to have it out and give it a good clean, but not so easy as the motor needs to come out.
I just let the fuel settle out and re-use the stuff on top and dump the rubbish at the bottom.
One thing i have had issues before was algae, i removed the filter screen and just replaced the fuel filter more often, seemed to do the trick. But it's not the ideal way to do it though.
Thanks Tazza. I pulled the pick up tube back out again, and it looked like it was coated with the same grit. It could be algae, but do not think so. The tank must be deformed on the bottom and is not letting all the dirt drain, even with rinsing. I took the screen off around the check valve and put in an inline filter just ahead of the squeeze bulb. It started and ran fine for a few minutes, so will see. Wondering also if the check valve is that important, as the lines were empty when I put the filter in and it started immediately.....

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks Tazza. I pulled the pick up tube back out again, and it looked like it was coated with the same grit. It could be algae, but do not think so. The tank must be deformed on the bottom and is not letting all the dirt drain, even with rinsing. I took the screen off around the check valve and put in an inline filter just ahead of the squeeze bulb. It started and ran fine for a few minutes, so will see. Wondering also if the check valve is that important, as the lines were empty when I put the filter in and it started immediately.....
Hopefully you won't have any issues without a check valve, keep changing the filters and over time, it should get all the crud out of the tank.
The only way to get all the crud out is to remove it, you could have stuff stuck in the corners that will simply not wash out when draining the tank :(

OP
OP

Hopefully you won't have any issues without a check valve, keep changing the filters and over time, it should get all the crud out of the tank.
The only way to get all the crud out is to remove it, you could have stuff stuck in the corners that will simply not wash out when draining the tank :(
I left the check valve, just removed the screen around it. The hole into the valve is also small, but bigger than what the screen would allow. It still may plug, but I do not need the machine for now, so not going to be able to put it to a good test. I may... end up pulling the tank. Thanks.

7LBSSMALLIE

I left the check valve, just removed the screen around it. The hole into the valve is also small, but bigger than what the screen would allow. It still may plug, but I do not need the machine for now, so not going to be able to put it to a good test. I may... end up pulling the tank. Thanks.
off the top o my head 853 is izuzu is this correct? see recent posts about fuel lift pump pressure and injection pump timining.

mmsllc

off the top o my head 853 is izuzu is this correct? see recent posts about fuel lift pump pressure and injection pump timining.
If you have algae, you need to get a hold of actual CYANIDE to KILL it off. That is what a few mobile equipment repair guys HAVE to use to keep their customers happy after customer's fuel tanks become contaminated with algae. I've been told that it takes around (1) drop to treat around (5) gallons of fuel. Hopefully it is just simple.

Latest posts