853 izuzu engine rebuild update. now no fuel gauge

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobben

izuzu engine rebuild update. Crank shaft was beyond repair so ended up buying engine rebuild kit from china everything went together very well. The kit included pistons, rods, crank, liners etc for $820 usd. The rings,brgs, were all from japan gaskit set was genuine izuzu started rite up runs like a charm. Now the fuel gauge doesn't work any ideas to repair I don't want to pull the engine out again.

mike_s_82

Which Isuzu engine is it? I have a 843 with the Isuzu 4JB1. It is the same as the Isuzu trooper minus the turbo. I had to rebuild mine, and a crankshaft was welded, reground and hardened by local shop. I don't know who put your sleeves in, but if they were the same as mine, they are really thin and you need a special tool to press them in without crushing or cracking them. I don't know where your fuel tank is, but my 843 is right behind the seat under the operator station. All the wiring is easy to get to. You have the new east west engine set up, but it might be different. I would check the wiring, and maybe you missed putting a ground wire back on somewhere that is for the fuel tank. If you have the service manual, look at the schematics and see where the wire run. My wires were pretty beat up when I got my machine. I think they can get caught when you close the operator station if they are not routed right.

OP
OP
B

bobben

Which Isuzu engine is it? I have a 843 with the Isuzu 4JB1. It is the same as the Isuzu trooper minus the turbo. I had to rebuild mine, and a crankshaft was welded, reground and hardened by local shop. I don't know who put your sleeves in, but if they were the same as mine, they are really thin and you need a special tool to press them in without crushing or cracking them. I don't know where your fuel tank is, but my 843 is right behind the seat under the operator station. All the wiring is easy to get to. You have the new east west engine set up, but it might be different. I would check the wiring, and maybe you missed putting a ground wire back on somewhere that is for the fuel tank. If you have the service manual, look at the schematics and see where the wire run. My wires were pretty beat up when I got my machine. I think they can get caught when you close the operator station if they are not routed right.
Its the 4JB1 engine with the east west configuration. I tried the weld, regrind on the crank but it was going to cost as much as a new crank. From izuzu $2600 Canadian so went for the $300 one. The original liners were in very nice condition so they were the only parts I didn't change, the new ones were B grade they called them.I bought this machine as a basket case a bobcat dealer disassembled it only to tell original owner the rebuild would be $18000 far more than the value of the machine. So I got it all in 6 boxes it was quite the jig saw puzzle to put it together. Only to find out no fuel gauge, the tank is under the engine.i think the engine has to come out to get to the sending unit I am going to check the gauge and wiring out today

flyerdan

Its the 4JB1 engine with the east west configuration. I tried the weld, regrind on the crank but it was going to cost as much as a new crank. From izuzu $2600 Canadian so went for the $300 one. The original liners were in very nice condition so they were the only parts I didn't change, the new ones were B grade they called them.I bought this machine as a basket case a bobcat dealer disassembled it only to tell original owner the rebuild would be $18000 far more than the value of the machine. So I got it all in 6 boxes it was quite the jig saw puzzle to put it together. Only to find out no fuel gauge, the tank is under the engine.i think the engine has to come out to get to the sending unit I am going to check the gauge and wiring out today
Without having a book to reference, but based on how fuel gauges usually work, check the wire from the sender to ground with a DMM, there should be some resistance there. If it is open, the gauge will read empty. Check that there is battery voltage to the plus side of the gauge. If there is no power to it when there should be (the switch is on) put a temporary jumper wire to supply it with power and see if that works.
If the jumper wire makes things work, you have a problem in the wiring going to the gauge from the switch, battery etc.
If you have power to the gauge, put in a resistance circuit (ideally a decade box set to 1k) from the sender to ground. Using resistance instead of just grounding the wire is to provide a buffer so the gauge won't slam, which isn't good for them. If you don't have a resistor handy, a quick touch and remove to see if the gauge responds would tell if you have a sender, (or wire to it) problem.

OP
OP
B

bobben

Without having a book to reference, but based on how fuel gauges usually work, check the wire from the sender to ground with a DMM, there should be some resistance there. If it is open, the gauge will read empty. Check that there is battery voltage to the plus side of the gauge. If there is no power to it when there should be (the switch is on) put a temporary jumper wire to supply it with power and see if that works.
If the jumper wire makes things work, you have a problem in the wiring going to the gauge from the switch, battery etc.
If you have power to the gauge, put in a resistance circuit (ideally a decade box set to 1k) from the sender to ground. Using resistance instead of just grounding the wire is to provide a buffer so the gauge won't slam, which isn't good for them. If you don't have a resistor handy, a quick touch and remove to see if the gauge responds would tell if you have a sender, (or wire to it) problem.
I got lucky took off the purple wire off the gauge shorted the gauge quickly to ground it went to full checked resistance through sending unit 125 ohms, thought that should read 1/2 tank on the gauge I hooked the purple back to the gauge it read 1/2 tank. not sure what happened the machine has been sitting for a year or so maybe the gauge was stuck.

Tazza

Staff member
I got lucky took off the purple wire off the gauge shorted the gauge quickly to ground it went to full checked resistance through sending unit 125 ohms, thought that should read 1/2 tank on the gauge I hooked the purple back to the gauge it read 1/2 tank. not sure what happened the machine has been sitting for a year or so maybe the gauge was stuck.
Glad you got the gauge working, the sender is in the tank under the engine, you can remove it with the engine in place, or so i have heard....
Nice job getting it all back together, you did well finding a cheap kit to rebuild it.