773 Head Replacement

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tjmortenson

I will be replacing a cracked head, along with the thermostat and water pump on a 2000 773 turbo. Never done one one a 773, can it be done in the machine or should I plan on pulling the engine? If I have to pull the engine what's the best way to do so? Thanks!

flyerdan

It would probably depend on how comfortable you are at complex mechanical stuff and what tools and equipment you have. There is nothing in the 773 engine section that specifies that the engine needs to be out for head removal. Grab a copy from the manual thread and read through it, then decide which is the best way for you to proceed. There is a parts manual there as well, which you'll probably find useful.

OP
OP
T

tjmortenson

It would probably depend on how comfortable you are at complex mechanical stuff and what tools and equipment you have. There is nothing in the 773 engine section that specifies that the engine needs to be out for head removal. Grab a copy from the manual thread and read through it, then decide which is the best way for you to proceed. There is a parts manual there as well, which you'll probably find useful.
Ok thanks, I'm a diesel mechanic by trade but I work on trucks, don't have much experience working on skid steers.

Tazza

Staff member
Ok thanks, I'm a diesel mechanic by trade but I work on trucks, don't have much experience working on skid steers.
I believe there is enough room to do the head swap in the machine. I have never done it though.