773 Counterweight

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Bobcat743773

I've got a 773G (S185) that we purchased new with the optional counterweight. When we recieved it a couple years ago I noticed theres extra weights on the tailgate of the machine and then they have wheel weights going around the front axle. We questioned the dealer about the weights being on the front axle and not the back and they said thats where they go. Does anybody know if this is correct or just some crap from the dealer. I've never felt that the machine lifts what it should and wondering if this is why.

OP
OP
B

Bobcat743773

I just double checked the installation instructions for that kit and it is correct.
Well thanks, it just seems that they would have it on the rear axle, unless because it's a vertical path machine, or just to balance out the machine.

Tazza

Staff member
Well thanks, it just seems that they would have it on the rear axle, unless because it's a vertical path machine, or just to balance out the machine.
I think the idea is to add weight lower to the ground to give you more stability as the weight is lower to the ground. You add weight at the rear to increase the ROC.

skidsteer.ca

I think the idea is to add weight lower to the ground to give you more stability as the weight is lower to the ground. You add weight at the rear to increase the ROC.
I can't think of any reason why you could not move them to the rear though
Depends where you want the weight. Some whant extra on the front to balance the machine and prevent wheelies on grades (especially if you need to climb hills with your attachment off)and others need it on the rear to lift heavy loads.
Ken

Shawn

I can't think of any reason why you could not move them to the rear though
Depends where you want the weight. Some whant extra on the front to balance the machine and prevent wheelies on grades (especially if you need to climb hills with your attachment off)and others need it on the rear to lift heavy loads.
Ken
The reason for the weights up front is to keep the machine balanced ... with a bucket on and no load 70 percent of the weight is on the rear tires ....when you load the bucket ( or have a heavy attachment on ) 70 percent of the weight is on the front and 30 rear this helps reduce tire wear

A.G.

Another good weight is foam filled or tires like McLaren. My foamed tires weighed in at about 280 a piece, and the MC are 245 a piece. You can lift more with either than just regular tires.
They also help when drilling. I have extra weights on the front axle to give a bit more down pressure for hard ground.
.02 A.G.

Latest posts