763 C Series???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

redrocket

My friend and I just picked up a Bobcat 763 C Series, from a rental company. This machine is beat. How do I find what year it is? They also said that the machine smokes like crazy when it starts up. Does anybody know why it does this? What would I have to replace. Are there any good websites that I can get parts from, because I can't seem to find any good ones online. This comming weekend, we will begin taking the machine apart, and starting to clean everything. Thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
The model plate doesn't tell you what year it is, if you have the serial number, your local Bobcat dealer should be able to tell you what year.
As for smoke, this can be many things, blocked air filter (check this first), weak injector pump, bad injectors, bad fuel, worn piston rings, worn valve stem seals, bad valve seats, weak glow plugs.
As for engine parts, you should be able to source them locally quite easily. Grab the phone book and call around.
Now, it only smokes at startup? what colour?
Does it start easily? but just blows smoke?
Does it start easily when warm, and runs clean when warm?

OP
OP
R

redrocket

The model plate doesn't tell you what year it is, if you have the serial number, your local Bobcat dealer should be able to tell you what year.
As for smoke, this can be many things, blocked air filter (check this first), weak injector pump, bad injectors, bad fuel, worn piston rings, worn valve stem seals, bad valve seats, weak glow plugs.
As for engine parts, you should be able to source them locally quite easily. Grab the phone book and call around.
Now, it only smokes at startup? what colour?
Does it start easily? but just blows smoke?
Does it start easily when warm, and runs clean when warm?
The machine doesn't start now, that is why my friend and I are trying to fix it up. But i talked to one of the mechanics who worked on it when it was in service. He said that when this thing started up it would be like a smoke machine. He pretty much said that the machine would just smoke and smoke and so he gave up trying to fix it, and it sat in the "to be sold as is" pile.

Tazza

Staff member
The machine doesn't start now, that is why my friend and I are trying to fix it up. But i talked to one of the mechanics who worked on it when it was in service. He said that when this thing started up it would be like a smoke machine. He pretty much said that the machine would just smoke and smoke and so he gave up trying to fix it, and it sat in the "to be sold as is" pile.
I'm sure it has been checked, but have a look at the air filter, if its clogged up it will pour out black smoke.
I would start with a compression test, check all cylinders and see how you go. They should be very close to each other. You could also check your valve clearance too, if there isn't enough clearance you will get lower compression.
You could probably get it started with a snort of ether, just don't glow it if you try ether.
Its your choice if you want to re-condition the engine your self or you could buy a re-built one that you can simply throw in.
I got a price for a new V2203 about 12 months ago for $5,500 AUD, i fully re-built my V1702 for $1,500 AUD but the head wasn't cracked (another 1,400 if it was) and i got all the machining done for free.
Check your compression and work from there. It should be around 400 PSI, i was told 350 PSI as the lower end of the scale, but still for personal use is still reasonable.
Have a look at: it may help a bit.
http://www.tractorsmart.com/Kubota Service Tips/Kubota Engine Service Tips.htm

OP
OP
R

redrocket

I'm sure it has been checked, but have a look at the air filter, if its clogged up it will pour out black smoke.
I would start with a compression test, check all cylinders and see how you go. They should be very close to each other. You could also check your valve clearance too, if there isn't enough clearance you will get lower compression.
You could probably get it started with a snort of ether, just don't glow it if you try ether.
Its your choice if you want to re-condition the engine your self or you could buy a re-built one that you can simply throw in.
I got a price for a new V2203 about 12 months ago for $5,500 AUD, i fully re-built my V1702 for $1,500 AUD but the head wasn't cracked (another 1,400 if it was) and i got all the machining done for free.
Check your compression and work from there. It should be around 400 PSI, i was told 350 PSI as the lower end of the scale, but still for personal use is still reasonable.
Have a look at: it may help a bit.
http://www.tractorsmart.com/Kubota%20Service%20Tips/Kubota%20Engine%20Service%20Tips.htm
Are there any kind of kinds out there, like a rebuild kit for the engine or anything? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
Are there any kind of kinds out there, like a rebuild kit for the engine or anything? Thanks
Not really a kit as such, but you can buy a full gasket set, pistons/rings, bearings and dry liners (the liners need to be machined to final size).
It is a Kubota engine isn't it? if so, you can get after market parts for it, they are just as good as genuine and 1/2 the price.
If you go this far, do your self a favour and get the head done too and also get the injection system checked and cleaned.