753 Traction lock override

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dirtpig538

1994 753. Sometimes the loader operation just quits working. At first, I could push the traction override button and it would work for a while again. Now I can't get the loader lift or bucket tilt to work at all. The valve light on the Bics is not lit. The seat bar light blinks 3 times. What do you guys think the problem is?

flyerdan

A quick Google dredge brings up this manual , it's for a T190 but I would imagine the codes should be the same.
Or one for a 753 might be lurking nearby.
The code indicates 'Seat bar sensor shorted to ground' which likely explains the intermittent problems before it failed for good.

walio123

A quick Google dredge brings up this manual , it's for a T190 but I would imagine the codes should be the same.
Or one for a 753 might be lurking nearby.
The code indicates 'Seat bar sensor shorted to ground' which likely explains the intermittent problems before it failed for good.
It is very likely you have a problem with the seat bar sensor, on most of these mashines also has a seat sensor. Check them.Look at the seat bar sensor if it rotates its inner part with the bar, there is a bolt, there is something like a bushing with a key that has to rotate with the bar.Sometimes the key is worn and can not position the sensor accurately. Check for the same sensor under the seat if you have one

OP
OP
D

dirtpig538

It is very likely you have a problem with the seat bar sensor, on most of these mashines also has a seat sensor. Check them.Look at the seat bar sensor if it rotates its inner part with the bar, there is a bolt, there is something like a bushing with a key that has to rotate with the bar.Sometimes the key is worn and can not position the sensor accurately. Check for the same sensor under the seat if you have one
No seat switch on this one. Is there a way to test the seat bar sensor switch to see if it's bad?

bobbie-g

So, I unplugged the seat bar switch. It now works intermittently again......
On a machine of that vintage, I believe there will be both a carnival bar (lap or seat bar) switch and a seat switch. The carnival bar switch is (from memory) at the left pivot point of the bar. It's a magnetically activated switch. Three wires, and I don't know of anyone who has ever figured out how to unplug the switch and cheat the electronics into thinking the bar is either up or down. What you can do is just play with the bar while watching the BICS panel (I'm assuming you have one behind your right elbow when seated), second light down labeled "seat bar". The light should be on when the bar is down. Now, on to the seat switch. I'm also assuming your BICS panel has a top light labeled "seat". That switch is under the seat, accessible with the protective cab opened up. Holler if you need help with how to do this. The seat is held down with four bolts. The front two are fixed as I recall. The rear two are captive and allow the seat to move up and down slightly. One of those two rear bolts has a switch attached, which gives some of us fits. It has to be adjusted properly so the BICS panel "seat" light illuminates when someone sits on the seat. I shim the bolt with washers so the movable plunger is in the proper position. You can just remove the switch assembly and move the plunger (magnet) up and down and watch the BICS "seat" light go on and off if all is working properly (some folks just put the plunger in the correct position and epoxy it in place, the hang the whole assembly out of the way). Both the seat and seat bar lights have to be lit before the BICS electronics will issue the command to unlock the valves and the traction solenoids (then you should see those lights illuminate). That's the way the system is supposed to work. Hope that helps. --- I've learned most of what I know about Bobcats from this forum and the great folks that hang out here. Please let us know how this turns out for you. :) ---Bobbie-G

OP
OP
D

dirtpig538

On a machine of that vintage, I believe there will be both a carnival bar (lap or seat bar) switch and a seat switch. The carnival bar switch is (from memory) at the left pivot point of the bar. It's a magnetically activated switch. Three wires, and I don't know of anyone who has ever figured out how to unplug the switch and cheat the electronics into thinking the bar is either up or down. What you can do is just play with the bar while watching the BICS panel (I'm assuming you have one behind your right elbow when seated), second light down labeled "seat bar". The light should be on when the bar is down. Now, on to the seat switch. I'm also assuming your BICS panel has a top light labeled "seat". That switch is under the seat, accessible with the protective cab opened up. Holler if you need help with how to do this. The seat is held down with four bolts. The front two are fixed as I recall. The rear two are captive and allow the seat to move up and down slightly. One of those two rear bolts has a switch attached, which gives some of us fits. It has to be adjusted properly so the BICS panel "seat" light illuminates when someone sits on the seat. I shim the bolt with washers so the movable plunger is in the proper position. You can just remove the switch assembly and move the plunger (magnet) up and down and watch the BICS "seat" light go on and off if all is working properly (some folks just put the plunger in the correct position and epoxy it in place, the hang the whole assembly out of the way). Both the seat and seat bar lights have to be lit before the BICS electronics will issue the command to unlock the valves and the traction solenoids (then you should see those lights illuminate). That's the way the system is supposed to work. Hope that helps. --- I've learned most of what I know about Bobcats from this forum and the great folks that hang out here. Please let us know how this turns out for you. :) ---Bobbie-G
There is no seat switch on my machine, so no seat light. When it quits working, the system activated light goes off, valve light off, power light on, traction light on, and seat bar light flashes 3 times. Sometimes I can unplug the seat bar connection, and it will work for a while, then quit again.

walio123

There is no seat switch on my machine, so no seat light. When it quits working, the system activated light goes off, valve light off, power light on, traction light on, and seat bar light flashes 3 times. Sometimes I can unplug the seat bar connection, and it will work for a while, then quit again.
When removing the connector of seat bar sensor, the machine should not be able to move the bucket and the boom, the movement should also stop if you did not press the traction override button, the corresponding lights on the controller should not light up.If you can move the boom and the bucket when you remove the seat bar sensor connector, someone / ever tried to bypass BICS. There may be loose / corroded connections he has made.

OP
OP
D

dirtpig538

When removing the connector of seat bar sensor, the machine should not be able to move the bucket and the boom, the movement should also stop if you did not press the traction override button, the corresponding lights on the controller should not light up.If you can move the boom and the bucket when you remove the seat bar sensor connector, someone / ever tried to bypass BICS. There may be loose / corroded connections he has made.
When it quits working, I can plug the seat bar connector in and unplug it. Then push the override button, and it will work every time, but only for a while. I can't see where anyone has tried to bypass anything. It baffles me why it works at all with the seat bar connector unplugged.

walio123

When it quits working, I can plug the seat bar connector in and unplug it. Then push the override button, and it will work every time, but only for a while. I can't see where anyone has tried to bypass anything. It baffles me why it works at all with the seat bar connector unplugged.
I've seen a pretty cramped system. They had added a resistor that puts the corresponding voltage on the controller and it works until the resistor is burnt because of its weak power. If they had put a powerful enough resistor, the system would work. The resistor was added to the controller's socket and it was hard to find out why there is malfuncion. It is possible to have some corroded shorts and to act as a resistor while it is warming up and then changing the resistance in seat bar sensor circuit. There may be a malfunction in the controller itself, but I doubt it. Try the simple things -check wiring harnes to sensor and controler, check pivot points on seat bar sensor, clean it wit alcohol and try.

OP
OP
D

dirtpig538

I've seen a pretty cramped system. They had added a resistor that puts the corresponding voltage on the controller and it works until the resistor is burnt because of its weak power. If they had put a powerful enough resistor, the system would work. The resistor was added to the controller's socket and it was hard to find out why there is malfuncion. It is possible to have some corroded shorts and to act as a resistor while it is warming up and then changing the resistance in seat bar sensor circuit. There may be a malfunction in the controller itself, but I doubt it. Try the simple things -check wiring harnes to sensor and controler, check pivot points on seat bar sensor, clean it wit alcohol and try.
Well, today the hydraulics quit completely. Who knows how I can bypass the hydraulic locks?

foton

Well, today the hydraulics quit completely. Who knows how I can bypass the hydraulic locks?
Sorry to butt in but a friend of mine is buying a 753 B skid steer aside of the obvious things to look for is there any oddities that should be looked at and I was on the bobcat site and the B model was not listed, what changes were made that made it a B? It does have the attachment mounting balls and remotes up front . Thanks Dave