743 Rear Window

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bremery

I decided to make a rear window for my Bobcat 743. Eventually I will finish enclosing the cab. I took a piece of 1/4" plywood and traced the outline of the window. I then shrunk the template by a 1/4" per the instruction of the gasket manufacturer.
I got the gasket from Mcmaster.com (P/N: 3275T22) You have to buy at least 10 feet. You will only need about 7 feet.
I then traced the template onto a piece of 1/4" Lexan and cut it with my table saw and band saw. MR-10 would have been better but much more expensive.
IMG_1795.JPG

Once I cut the lexan, I put the gasket along the perimeter of the window opening. Make sure you push the gasket into the corners tightly. Once you make your way around to where you started cut the gasket. I had the seam at the centerpoint of the window along the bottom edge. Cut the gasket a little long and trim it as necessary.
Next, place the lexan into the top groove and side it into a corner. This is where you need to get a helper. One inside and one on the outside. Using levers, and some careful pushing you should be able to get it into the groove all the way around. You may need to slide the window around once its in the groove so it will not pop out when you install the locking ring. You then have to tuck the locking ring into its groove. I used two prybars and a cotter pin puller. Start in one spot and work your way around.
IMG_1797.JPG

IMG_1796.JPG

Overall this window cost me $45 to install and not the rain and snow will not collect on the back of my neck. All I have to do is put some black silicon in the gap between the gasket.

thetool

Excellent Work, and an excellent post!
They really need a "how to" category where posts like this can be easily stored and searched. FAQ's category is not very intuitive, sitting where it is.
This sets the standard.

Fishfiles

Excellent Work, and an excellent post!
They really need a "how to" category where posts like this can be easily stored and searched. FAQ's category is not very intuitive, sitting where it is.
This sets the standard.
Next time try using nylon rope , you put the rope all the way around into the pocket where the glass seats , push the glass against the rubber with one hand and pull the rope with the other hand as you push the glass in , it rolls the rubber over the edge

OP
OP
B

bremery

What is a locking ring?
A locking ring keeps the window pane in place. It would pop out if not installed, because the gasket will not support the full weight of the window. In the picture above you can see the gasket has a built in locking ring. It is on the bottom of the gasket, and will always be on the inside of the window. You can also partially see the groove it gets tucked into. You can also get the gasket with the locking ring as a seperate item. On machines that come with a glass package you will see a tag on hanging from the window. This tag is attached to the locking ring, and is to be pulled out in an emergency so you can push / kick the window out.