743 Chain Case oil change

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

newy1234

After about 5 hours in total of pumping by hand and by 12v pump I got all the old water and oil mix! I am sure the previous owner had left the machine out in the open for a long time without use and rain water had got into case.
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/newy1234/Bobcat/25082012.jpg
25082012.jpg

Cleaned the case out with kerosene and it came up ok. Refilled with about 28 litres of oil and all good.
Getting the inspection cover off the top of the case was a bit of a nightmare with the rear bolts being too close to the body work under the seat! Poor design.
Some pics of the brake discs etc.
The front sprockets do not look to bad.

Tazza

Staff member
http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh187/newy1234/Bobcat/26082012.jpg
They don't look to obad at all. Good call on cleaning with kero, even diesel will work. I used a spray bottle and lifted the rear of the machine so it would all flow to the front. Give everything i possibly could a spray then mopped it up.
Get those inspection covers sealed up well, don't forget about the bolts too, they are easily forgotten and allow water down the threads.

7LBSSMALLIE

They don't look to obad at all. Good call on cleaning with kero, even diesel will work. I used a spray bottle and lifted the rear of the machine so it would all flow to the front. Give everything i possibly could a spray then mopped it up.
Get those inspection covers sealed up well, don't forget about the bolts too, they are easily forgotten and allow water down the threads.
5 hrs ,come on man drill and tap a plug into into it,

OP
OP
N

newy1234

5 hrs ,come on man drill and tap a plug into into it,
Oh yes, hindsight is a great thing. If I was working on these machines all the time thats what I would do. This will more that likely be the only time I will ever change that oil.

mahans7

Oh yes, hindsight is a great thing. If I was working on these machines all the time thats what I would do. This will more that likely be the only time I will ever change that oil.
I'm sure I'll be doing this on my new to me 743 soon. Where would one drill a drain hole and how big would you make it? I love how you guys just drill holes, make tools, build parts etc.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm sure I'll be doing this on my new to me 743 soon. Where would one drill a drain hole and how big would you make it? I love how you guys just drill holes, make tools, build parts etc.
It doesn't need to be huge, i'd drill it at the front just because it's easier to access and to clean out the shavings. Just do it on one corner.
When it comes time to drain it, jack the back up a little to assist in drainingas much as possible.
You are meant to remove the front inspection cover and mop the bottom out with rags. I even use diesel in a spray bottle to clean all i can.

Latest posts