642B Price

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dfb4408

What should our asking price be for a 642B 4500 hrs with 500 hrs on motor overhaul? Appearance and other condition about a 7 on 1-10 scale. Kansas location. Thanks for any help

Bobcatdan

$2500 is real world price. A diesel version, the 743 is worth about $3500 tops. Theses machines are often grossly overpriced because they are worth what a stupid person will pay. I laugh, a local dealer has a 743 listed for $6500. Sad thing is they will probably get that. I laugh at the person who is dumb enough to pay that. While not bad little units, extremely dated in performance.

OP
OP
D

dfb4408

$2500 is real world price. A diesel version, the 743 is worth about $3500 tops. Theses machines are often grossly overpriced because they are worth what a stupid person will pay. I laugh, a local dealer has a 743 listed for $6500. Sad thing is they will probably get that. I laugh at the person who is dumb enough to pay that. While not bad little units, extremely dated in performance.
610 sold at auction Saturday for 3500.00

SkidRoe

What things are worth and what people will pay are two completely different things.
In this area, any machine that is in serviceable condition, regardless of age, sells for a lot more than was mentioned in previous posts. I have seen 743's listed for $10,000. Whether they sell for that is another story, but I can't see a machine like that going for less than $7000 around here.
What you have to ask yourself is what do you have invested, and would you be happy with?
Most of the luck that I have had selling stuff has come with not posting a price and letting someone make me an offer. I find that posting prices scare people off, and they tend not to contact you. Where as a note of "contact seller" or "no reasonable offer will be refused" will get people curious and they will at least try to make contact. Once you have interest, then you are in the driver's seat (or closer to it, if nothing else).
If you do decide to post a price, you only have one opportunity to start high, just like the buyer only has one opportunity to go in low. As a seller, you can always come down.
HTH - SR

gearbox

What things are worth and what people will pay are two completely different things.
In this area, any machine that is in serviceable condition, regardless of age, sells for a lot more than was mentioned in previous posts. I have seen 743's listed for $10,000. Whether they sell for that is another story, but I can't see a machine like that going for less than $7000 around here.
What you have to ask yourself is what do you have invested, and would you be happy with?
Most of the luck that I have had selling stuff has come with not posting a price and letting someone make me an offer. I find that posting prices scare people off, and they tend not to contact you. Where as a note of "contact seller" or "no reasonable offer will be refused" will get people curious and they will at least try to make contact. Once you have interest, then you are in the driver's seat (or closer to it, if nothing else).
If you do decide to post a price, you only have one opportunity to start high, just like the buyer only has one opportunity to go in low. As a seller, you can always come down.
HTH - SR
Bobcatdan I will say this again you find those machines for what you say they are worth and I will bring the semi and a check book . I don't know where you are coming from some of us have no desire to own a $ 30000 machine to move wood around and to the boiler .

Bobcatdan

Bobcatdan I will say this again you find those machines for what you say they are worth and I will bring the semi and a check book . I don't know where you are coming from some of us have no desire to own a $ 30000 machine to move wood around and to the boiler .
Wholesalers buy them that cheap all the time because most dealers won't give shit for them on trade in. Dealers have little interest in making the machine sellable and off it to wholesalers. A dealer is realistically maybe give $2000 for a 40's, if they give more, its a number game. It gets hauled back to the lot. Call the wholesaler and he pays $500 over what the dealer did. With the right timing, I could have a running moving 753 for under $5000.

mmsllc

Wholesalers buy them that cheap all the time because most dealers won't give shit for them on trade in. Dealers have little interest in making the machine sellable and off it to wholesalers. A dealer is realistically maybe give $2000 for a 40's, if they give more, its a number game. It gets hauled back to the lot. Call the wholesaler and he pays $500 over what the dealer did. With the right timing, I could have a running moving 753 for under $5000.
There does not seem to be any kind of a "blue book" on these type of machines. I sold a # 863 (fair conditioned, ugly & smoking engine) to a guy this past December for a whopping $15,000 CASH. Now, you tell me, what is a 863 actually worth? It is worth what that desperate man was willing to pay for it. I HAVE ANOTHER 863 high flow available to me for $9800. Now I know that should easily fetch around $16,500.

Bobcatdan

There does not seem to be any kind of a "blue book" on these type of machines. I sold a # 863 (fair conditioned, ugly & smoking engine) to a guy this past December for a whopping $15,000 CASH. Now, you tell me, what is a 863 actually worth? It is worth what that desperate man was willing to pay for it. I HAVE ANOTHER 863 high flow available to me for $9800. Now I know that should easily fetch around $16,500.
If the 863 you sold had cab and heat with good tires and a G series, $15,000 isn't a bad price depending on how ugly is ugly. If it was a F series and no cab, yeah $11,000 to $12,000 is better. The 863 high flow, depending on what the machine is, $9800 is modestly cheap to extremely cheap. $10,000 is generally the base line for a running, reasonably modern skidsteer. It's that magic number that screws with the vavle of the old junk. 743 is worth $3500. Somebody buys it for $7000, over paying $3500. All this to save the $3000 instead of buying a $10,000 763. Then they haul their "new" 743 to me and I find and upsell $3000 worth of work to get the thing to do anything and same old story has played out once again.

mmsllc

If the 863 you sold had cab and heat with good tires and a G series, $15,000 isn't a bad price depending on how ugly is ugly. If it was a F series and no cab, yeah $11,000 to $12,000 is better. The 863 high flow, depending on what the machine is, $9800 is modestly cheap to extremely cheap. $10,000 is generally the base line for a running, reasonably modern skidsteer. It's that magic number that screws with the vavle of the old junk. 743 is worth $3500. Somebody buys it for $7000, over paying $3500. All this to save the $3000 instead of buying a $10,000 763. Then they haul their "new" 743 to me and I find and upsell $3000 worth of work to get the thing to do anything and same old story has played out once again.
The 863 I sold in December, was a F-series. So, I get a random phone call on Friday evening around 830 pm. This guy states that he NEEDS a BOBCAT ASAP. He then went on to tell me that I had the only BOBCAT available for purchase anywhere close to his area. (I KNEW I WAS GONNA GET THE FULL PRICE OFF THAT I WANTED!!!) So, on Sunday (36-hours later!) I took it to meet him. It smoked moderately (from the exhaust) until it was warmed up. After 10 minutes of running, it would no longer smoke at all. (I am pretty sure it needed fuel injector(s) to rectify that issue; I also informed they buyer of the smoking issue before meeting him on Friday.) The day it sold, I had to take it to a city halfway from where the guy was coming from. As he looked it over, I told him that if he did not like the cosmetic / paint condition, then I would not un-chain it from the trailer. He said that he didn't care about the paint / cosmetics as much as the way it ran & functioned. I said OK & then unchained it. I backed it off my trailer & showed him that it functioned correctly & then shut the engine down. The buyer got into it, turned it on, spun it around behind his trailer & then shut it down. We counted out $15k CASH. Then I helped him load it up & chain it down on his trailer. He was hesitant when he saw my little .380 pistol. I told him that it was for my protection (& for his), as I did not know if anyone was watching me count out the cash. After explaining that, he was cool again. I took my wife with me that days o she could see how a typical "selling" day goes. She was somewhat impressed. It was a good turn out to a somewhat otherwise plain-Jane weekend. It was such an easy sale.

mmsllc

The 863 I sold in December, was a F-series. So, I get a random phone call on Friday evening around 830 pm. This guy states that he NEEDS a BOBCAT ASAP. He then went on to tell me that I had the only BOBCAT available for purchase anywhere close to his area. (I KNEW I WAS GONNA GET THE FULL PRICE OFF THAT I WANTED!!!) So, on Sunday (36-hours later!) I took it to meet him. It smoked moderately (from the exhaust) until it was warmed up. After 10 minutes of running, it would no longer smoke at all. (I am pretty sure it needed fuel injector(s) to rectify that issue; I also informed they buyer of the smoking issue before meeting him on Friday.) The day it sold, I had to take it to a city halfway from where the guy was coming from. As he looked it over, I told him that if he did not like the cosmetic / paint condition, then I would not un-chain it from the trailer. He said that he didn't care about the paint / cosmetics as much as the way it ran & functioned. I said OK & then unchained it. I backed it off my trailer & showed him that it functioned correctly & then shut the engine down. The buyer got into it, turned it on, spun it around behind his trailer & then shut it down. We counted out $15k CASH. Then I helped him load it up & chain it down on his trailer. He was hesitant when he saw my little .380 pistol. I told him that it was for my protection (& for his), as I did not know if anyone was watching me count out the cash. After explaining that, he was cool again. I took my wife with me that days o she could see how a typical "selling" day goes. She was somewhat impressed. It was a good turn out to a somewhat otherwise plain-Jane weekend. It was such an easy sale.
At multiple times, I have tried to urge others to buy a little bit bigger machine than they thought that they may need. I've tried to persuade them to buy nothing smaller than a 753 because of the stronger KUBOTA diesel engine & lifting capacity, but I feel I am ignored often based on what the customer wants to spend & what they are looking to do with the machine. I've seen the trend of buying what they can afford, only to find out it needs a ton of work / repairs. I've tried to speak easy & persuasively, but honest to god, nobody listens. It turns out about the same way as you have described. It either breaks down on them, or they have to ell it for a larger machine. Either way, it becomes so very predictable. I see people always wanting a deal so bad that they overlook how well it will fit their needs. It gets comical (& sad) to witness because it is so PREDICTABLE. What else can I / you do?? (BTW, boat / motorcycle owners are the same way.) I assume it is human nature to make things harder than it needs to be simply because they don't know enough about what they are getting into. In my 'humble' opinion, a 753 is the smallest machine usable in the construction industry. Anything smaller (this only applies to everyday use in the construction industry), is simply useless, too small or not able to replace enough crew members to make its price tag worth while. (This is solely based on what I have seen sell in the industry, for which these machines were made for.) So, if somebody buys a 743 based on price (& oblivious to the mechanical state of repair), then they could / should have bought a 753; they are just that much better in my opinion. There is just NO comparison between the two!! Now for the homeowner, it all makes sense. Buy what you think will fit your needs the very best. However, a (good) KUBOTA diesel engine is a bad-@SS!!

Tazza

Staff member
At multiple times, I have tried to urge others to buy a little bit bigger machine than they thought that they may need. I've tried to persuade them to buy nothing smaller than a 753 because of the stronger KUBOTA diesel engine & lifting capacity, but I feel I am ignored often based on what the customer wants to spend & what they are looking to do with the machine. I've seen the trend of buying what they can afford, only to find out it needs a ton of work / repairs. I've tried to speak easy & persuasively, but honest to god, nobody listens. It turns out about the same way as you have described. It either breaks down on them, or they have to ell it for a larger machine. Either way, it becomes so very predictable. I see people always wanting a deal so bad that they overlook how well it will fit their needs. It gets comical (& sad) to witness because it is so PREDICTABLE. What else can I / you do?? (BTW, boat / motorcycle owners are the same way.) I assume it is human nature to make things harder than it needs to be simply because they don't know enough about what they are getting into. In my 'humble' opinion, a 753 is the smallest machine usable in the construction industry. Anything smaller (this only applies to everyday use in the construction industry), is simply useless, too small or not able to replace enough crew members to make its price tag worth while. (This is solely based on what I have seen sell in the industry, for which these machines were made for.) So, if somebody buys a 743 based on price (& oblivious to the mechanical state of repair), then they could / should have bought a 753; they are just that much better in my opinion. There is just NO comparison between the two!! Now for the homeowner, it all makes sense. Buy what you think will fit your needs the very best. However, a (good) KUBOTA diesel engine is a bad-@SS!!
I have had people go more by HP, they say i want X HP, i then ask then why they believe they need that much? THey don't really have an answer for that after i tell them that being hydrostatic drive, they have the same torque, it may be able to go up a hill a little faster.
Some have no idea what size machine they need either, i'd not go lower than a 7x series size machine, it's a good all rounder.

Bobcatdan

I have had people go more by HP, they say i want X HP, i then ask then why they believe they need that much? THey don't really have an answer for that after i tell them that being hydrostatic drive, they have the same torque, it may be able to go up a hill a little faster.
Some have no idea what size machine they need either, i'd not go lower than a 7x series size machine, it's a good all rounder.
One of the main reason I hate 40 series is too many times I've seen them as money traps. Guy buys a nice pretty $7000 paint job because it's a steal compared to the $13000 S175 he saw. Gets it home and find after 5 minutes it doesn't drive right and runs kinda crappy. Hauls it to the shop because after two months of dicking with it, he can't get his baby to work right. I go threw writing up a very healthy estimate. Give him the low down, has me do everything he tells me to do. When he is done, he could have had that S175. Their prices are so ungodly over inflated, they are just bad investments. I have had part customers with what they spend over the counter every month, they could easily make new equipment payments.

mmsllc

One of the main reason I hate 40 series is too many times I've seen them as money traps. Guy buys a nice pretty $7000 paint job because it's a steal compared to the $13000 S175 he saw. Gets it home and find after 5 minutes it doesn't drive right and runs kinda crappy. Hauls it to the shop because after two months of dicking with it, he can't get his baby to work right. I go threw writing up a very healthy estimate. Give him the low down, has me do everything he tells me to do. When he is done, he could have had that S175. Their prices are so ungodly over inflated, they are just bad investments. I have had part customers with what they spend over the counter every month, they could easily make new equipment payments.
WOW!! That is eye-opening to hear. I see it with desperate people when dealing with their broken cars. It is not too far to imagine them doing the same type thing when dealing with equipment. I just had a call today from a guy I rarely hear from. I tell him that I have a 773, a 763 & a 753 for sale. He basically says that he wants the cheaper one (meaning, the 753) I have my doubts about this guy coming through, but it just goes to show you that cheaper does not always mean it is the best overall fit. I plan on showing him what a 753 can do & I plan on demonstrating the backhoe attachment to him as we.. I think he might spring for a larger machine once he sees what the little money can buy him. He does concrete work & I can only imagine how useful these pieces could be for him. He got off the phone stating that he needed 10 days to get his money right. Kinda funny!!

rodbuilder

Hey Bobcatdan, send me a truckload of your nice, leak-free, rust-free 743's will ya'? I'll take all of them I can get from you!!!! BIG CORRECTION: As far as the gasser 642, proper RETAIL on one is going to be around $4500-$5500 - IF it's fairly nice and has good tires on it. As for a nice 743, RETAIL on one is gonna' set you back $7000-$7500. Anyone asking more than that is out of their cotton pickin' mind!!! $3500 for a nice 743 Bobcat. That's hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rodbuilder

The real problem with a 642 is that it's a gas-powered machine. The good part is that it's a water-cooled engine, instead of that piece of junk Wisconsin!!! Let's face it kids - a skid loader engine wings like there's no tomorrow for as long as you're in the seat. So a gasser is NOT going to last long, running it like you shut your finger in the door!!! Anyone who says a gas engine will last as long as a diesel, has NO idea what they're talking about. ZIT!!! That said, if your prospect Bobcat has 4500 hours on it and has (you said it I didn't!!!) an "overhaul" on it, stay away from it! Let's get this straight - an "overhaul" is NOT a "rebuild". An overhaul is simply changing the rings, bearings and gaskets and MAYBE doing a valve job on it. A REAL rebuild is going through the complete cylinder head, putting new valve springs and PC seals in it, boring out the block .010-.030 over, surfacing the head, adding new rings, new pistons and everything else that rubs against the block, or cylinder head, or can be unbolted - including the oil pump and water pump an all of the gaskets. And if you're a smart guy - throwing another $75-$100 into it and getting it balanced. People who use that hillbilly word "overhaul" scare the be-jesus out of me.

rodbuilder

Well here's a real reality check for ya': In the past 6 years I've sold over EIGHT 743's and NONE of them left my property for less than $7000!!!! FYI: The 743 Bobcat is especially popular because it is (I believe) the last Bobcat made that has an inline engine that couples directly to the pump, instead of that stupid troublesome belt-drive setup they have on all the newer Bobcats. While certain parts of the engine can be harder to work on for that reason, they are VERY dependable and hold their resale value like a farmer-owned 84 Chevy pickup.......and who ever saw anything a farmer owned that depreciated?!!!!! And they'll NEVER blow a drive belt because they don't have one! A 743 Bobcat is the perfect machine for any homeowner or farmer, who just wants to move some snow, poop, or do some dirt work around his place..........so long as it doesn't weigh more than 1000 pounds. And another thing that's good about it is that you can carry one on a 7000 GVW car trailer because they only weigh in at about 4500 pounds or so. But back it on, because if you don't, you're probably gonna be looking at the clouds!!! Been there and done that!!! I can't wait for my first delivery of those $3500 743's from Bobcatdan!!!!!!!!

rodbuilder

Bobcatdan - where in the heck do you live and what the he$@ do you do for a living? I wanna move there and start buying up all those bobcats you've been talking about, because I know you CAN'T possibly be serious about those crazy prices you've been talking about.

Latest posts