48" Rototiller

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SkidRoe

This thing has skidsteer attachment written all over it!!
Kijiji: 48 INCH ROTOTILLER CASE 444,446,448
Kijiji: 48 INCH ROTOTILLER CASE 444,446,448
Yes, that is a hydraulic motor, already fitted!! It is for a Case garden tractor.
Picking it up this week.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Very nice, i'd love to hook one of those up on my skid steer.
I did a bit more research: it is a Case (or Ingersoll) H70, came off of a Case 444/446/448 garden tractor. Not sure whether they ever made it to Aus. Apparently, it needs about 5-9 gpm to run correctly, which works out perfectly for my 440b (it is putting out about 8 gpm now).
I am planning to put the normal size bobtach plate on it (versus the mini), so that we can use it on the 773 as well (I have my adapter plate to make it fit the little machine), and I could use the extra weight for added down pressure.
Really looking forward to this build, my yard is a mess right now from a bunch of concrete work we had done a few months ago (our summer).

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I did a bit more research: it is a Case (or Ingersoll) H70, came off of a Case 444/446/448 garden tractor. Not sure whether they ever made it to Aus. Apparently, it needs about 5-9 gpm to run correctly, which works out perfectly for my 440b (it is putting out about 8 gpm now).
I am planning to put the normal size bobtach plate on it (versus the mini), so that we can use it on the 773 as well (I have my adapter plate to make it fit the little machine), and I could use the extra weight for added down pressure.
Really looking forward to this build, my yard is a mess right now from a bunch of concrete work we had done a few months ago (our summer).
I picked it up last night - about a 2 hour drive from home. It is a little narrower than advertised, more like 42". And I am re-thinking the option of allowing it to be mounted on a 7-series machine - one wrong move and I think that you could turn it into a pretzel. But it will be fine on the 440b. It is in very good shape and the price was right. More to come!!

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

I picked it up last night - about a 2 hour drive from home. It is a little narrower than advertised, more like 42". And I am re-thinking the option of allowing it to be mounted on a 7-series machine - one wrong move and I think that you could turn it into a pretzel. But it will be fine on the 440b. It is in very good shape and the price was right. More to come!!
I decided to build a toobar to interface the rototiller to the bobtach. That way, it can be used for future attachments, and the tiller can be offset to either side if desired. Pretty happy with how it turned out.
aa27170832602cadf431a32b578872fc.jpg

cfa5b3969abd092ccafa40ad59611e9b.jpg

The tiller attaches to the toolbar with two 1/2" hitch pins. The bolts on the front of the channel are then tightened to take up the play in the pins to provide a rigid connection.
fea80c9b8967e504bba4bd6be9122652.jpg

The pictures were taken in the mock-up stage. I have since painted all of the fabricated parts and re-assembled the entire unit. Four of the six tine sets were installed backwards for some reason; that has also been corrected. The first test this evening was quite successful. It will stall if you hit a rock, which I think is not a bad thing. You can lift and tilt the tiller to use the depth bar to pull out the rocks and push then aside.

Tazza

Staff member
I decided to build a toobar to interface the rototiller to the bobtach. That way, it can be used for future attachments, and the tiller can be offset to either side if desired. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

The tiller attaches to the toolbar with two 1/2" hitch pins. The bolts on the front of the channel are then tightened to take up the play in the pins to provide a rigid connection.

The pictures were taken in the mock-up stage. I have since painted all of the fabricated parts and re-assembled the entire unit. Four of the six tine sets were installed backwards for some reason; that has also been corrected. The first test this evening was quite successful. It will stall if you hit a rock, which I think is not a bad thing. You can lift and tilt the tiller to use the depth bar to pull out the rocks and push then aside.
Looks good, even better that it did a great job when tested.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Here are a few more pictures after final assembly and testing:
IMG_1610c.jpg

IMG_1611c.jpg

IMG_1614c.jpg

At some point, I will likely repaint the entire tiller. I also want to service the chain case, as it is supposed to be packed with grease. Since this unit is likely close to 40 years old, I can only imagine what the grease looks like.

mahans7

At some point, I will likely repaint the entire tiller. I also want to service the chain case, as it is supposed to be packed with grease. Since this unit is likely close to 40 years old, I can only imagine what the grease looks like.
Amazing! I like how you look at that old rototiller and see a BC attachment, reminds me of how Michaelangelo would look at a block of marble and see a sculpture that just needed marble taken off. You're now opening my eyes and getting me motivated to learn to weld. Thanks for posting the pics.

OP
OP
SkidRoe

SkidRoe

Amazing! I like how you look at that old rototiller and see a BC attachment, reminds me of how Michaelangelo would look at a block of marble and see a sculpture that just needed marble taken off. You're now opening my eyes and getting me motivated to learn to weld. Thanks for posting the pics.
Welding is definitely a great skill to have. I took courses while I was in high school, and then worked as a welder for two summers while I was in college. That was just long enough to for me to figure out that I really did not want to do it for a living!! But as a hobby, I don't mind it. I am my no means a master, but stuff I weld doesn't typically break either, which is all I am after, LoL.

Tazza

Staff member
Welding is definitely a great skill to have. I took courses while I was in high school, and then worked as a welder for two summers while I was in college. That was just long enough to for me to figure out that I really did not want to do it for a living!! But as a hobby, I don't mind it. I am my no means a master, but stuff I weld doesn't typically break either, which is all I am after, LoL.
Looks really good.
I'm with you SkidRoe, i can weld well enough for my own jobs, but i'd rather not do it for others. Years of practice and quality rods sure make a difference. I find better ways to do things as time goes on.

ryantowry_81

Looks really good.
I'm with you SkidRoe, i can weld well enough for my own jobs, but i'd rather not do it for others. Years of practice and quality rods sure make a difference. I find better ways to do things as time goes on.
man i would love to find one of those to attach to my BC. the wife might actually like the tractor then....

Tazza

Staff member
man i would love to find one of those to attach to my BC. the wife might actually like the tractor then....
Just wait for the projects she will think up for you to do that the bobcat can do. Soon enough, she will love it too.

88vmx12

Looks excellent! Thanks for getting my project list on overload lol G

Latest posts