463 Trailering Q&A

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Orgnoi1

So this weekend will be the first time putting this thing on the trailer since we got it... I Have 4 chains and 4 level load type binders... I believe in NY you are required to run 4 tie down points so I went ahead and purchased all of them... SO my question is... any hints or tricks I should know before I attempt this...

craigb93

*lever load type.....
Before you get your lever load binders dirty and can't return them best you check to see if your state, like my state, requires binders with screw type take-up. Folks get fined regularly here for not having the safer type.

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

Before you get your lever load binders dirty and can't return them best you check to see if your state, like my state, requires binders with screw type take-up. Folks get fined regularly here for not having the safer type.
I stopped by to chat with a construction buddy of mine today and he said they have been using levers forever... and hadnt heard of any laws to the contrary... I also wont have to stop at any DOT check points or the like since I am now towing with a commercial vehicle... so it should be all ok...

skidsteer.ca

I stopped by to chat with a construction buddy of mine today and he said they have been using levers forever... and hadnt heard of any laws to the contrary... I also wont have to stop at any DOT check points or the like since I am now towing with a commercial vehicle... so it should be all ok...
I had never heard about having to have the screw type, but I don't go everywhere. They would be rusted solid in Ontario with all the salt. I have a couple for areas where ther is not room to swing a big pipe around, but I find them slow.
The lever ones are ok, just hang on to the pipe. The better ones have a pivot point in the handle, so when you go to open them you don't have to worry about the handle rotating 150 degrees. You just pivot it back them give it a good kick. They are much safer.
The indiect load binder, 4th down on this page is the kind I like.
http://www.h-lift.com/loadbinder.htm
In Ontario the leaver ones have to be tied shut with wire or bungee, etc to be legal though.

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

I had never heard about having to have the screw type, but I don't go everywhere. They would be rusted solid in Ontario with all the salt. I have a couple for areas where ther is not room to swing a big pipe around, but I find them slow.
The lever ones are ok, just hang on to the pipe. The better ones have a pivot point in the handle, so when you go to open them you don't have to worry about the handle rotating 150 degrees. You just pivot it back them give it a good kick. They are much safer.
The indiect load binder, 4th down on this page is the kind I like.
http://www.h-lift.com/loadbinder.htm
In Ontario the leaver ones have to be tied shut with wire or bungee, etc to be legal though.
I am pretty sure that they have to be bungeed or chained here too... and even if not its a safe practice for sure... one of which I planned on either way...
Thanks for the link... will take a look at that link for sure... sadly I purchased my trailer/chains/binders about 3 years ago when I picked up the skid... and since the trailer never had ramps or tie down points we just never used it... this will certainly be a good adventure for me saturday...

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

I am pretty sure that they have to be bungeed or chained here too... and even if not its a safe practice for sure... one of which I planned on either way...
Thanks for the link... will take a look at that link for sure... sadly I purchased my trailer/chains/binders about 3 years ago when I picked up the skid... and since the trailer never had ramps or tie down points we just never used it... this will certainly be a good adventure for me saturday...
In looking at the link... I have the binder thats the 5th one down...

Tigerhaze

Realize that DOT or other law enforcement may specifically target you because they tend to find a lot of violations with those that don't tow regularly with undersize tow vehicles and trailers. Even if you are exempt from the FMCSR or your state's equivalent regulations they could still get you for things such as trailer equipment violations or improper binding. There are a couple of tips you can consider if you have never bound a skid steer on a trailer- these are my thoughts and others might have slightly different opions based on their regulations or practices. -It is usually best to back the skid steer onto the trailer rather than pull in forwards. -Make sure you put the skid steer over the trailer axles if a bumber pull trailer to balance it out. -Use Grade 70 transport chain- it is a little more expensive than Grade 43 but you will not get questioned by law enforcement about whether it complies with regulations. 5/16" Grade 70 chain should be plenty for a 463 but you could go to 3/8" if you want to be overly conservative. -I wouldn't think you would have to bind each corner of the skid steer at that weight, but it varies from state to state and doesn't hurt to do so. It will also give law enforcement less reason to inspect you closely. -I typically bind one end at a time- I usaully do the rear of the skid steer (front of the trailer) first and then bind the front of the skid steer (rear) last to get it snug. -I don't put the chain clevis into slots at the anchor points but rather loop through the anchor point and put the clevis back onto a chain link. -I tend to put a binder between the two sides of chain at each end to get snug. - Make sure you wrap the chain or a seperate wire around the binder lever after binding so the binder lever can't pop loose during transport. They sell manuals for a nominal cost (around $10) at truck stops on the legal methods for binding- it may be helpful for you to see the typical arrangement. Hope this helps.

craigb93

Realize that DOT or other law enforcement may specifically target you because they tend to find a lot of violations with those that don't tow regularly with undersize tow vehicles and trailers. Even if you are exempt from the FMCSR or your state's equivalent regulations they could still get you for things such as trailer equipment violations or improper binding. There are a couple of tips you can consider if you have never bound a skid steer on a trailer- these are my thoughts and others might have slightly different opions based on their regulations or practices. -It is usually best to back the skid steer onto the trailer rather than pull in forwards. -Make sure you put the skid steer over the trailer axles if a bumber pull trailer to balance it out. -Use Grade 70 transport chain- it is a little more expensive than Grade 43 but you will not get questioned by law enforcement about whether it complies with regulations. 5/16" Grade 70 chain should be plenty for a 463 but you could go to 3/8" if you want to be overly conservative. -I wouldn't think you would have to bind each corner of the skid steer at that weight, but it varies from state to state and doesn't hurt to do so. It will also give law enforcement less reason to inspect you closely. -I typically bind one end at a time- I usaully do the rear of the skid steer (front of the trailer) first and then bind the front of the skid steer (rear) last to get it snug. -I don't put the chain clevis into slots at the anchor points but rather loop through the anchor point and put the clevis back onto a chain link. -I tend to put a binder between the two sides of chain at each end to get snug. - Make sure you wrap the chain or a seperate wire around the binder lever after binding so the binder lever can't pop loose during transport. They sell manuals for a nominal cost (around $10) at truck stops on the legal methods for binding- it may be helpful for you to see the typical arrangement. Hope this helps.
The top ones with the ratchet in the link supplied above are required in Georgia. Started about 4 years ago.

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

Thanks everyone... Tigerhaze... while I havent towed this particular piece of equipment I am not entirely new to towing... I pull with a 2500HD Diesel and the trailer I am using is an 18ft equipment trailer... I also have ALL grade 70 5/16' chain... I wont look too out of place... I actually put in about 4k to 5k miles of towing in the winter with a much larger enclosed sled trailer...
More or less I am just a little apprehensive since its my first time with this specific application of towing... and I was more specifically looking if anyone had some good suggestions as to front end binding locations and/or if in NYS you are required to seperately chain or strap the bucket... the laws are a bit relaxed because of the weight of this skid from what I am seeing... I can use straps or chains... and while I may still strap the bucket it doesnt appear in any of the laws I have found so far for the 2900lbs of skid I have...
I will definately look for that book though as I am going to swing through a truck stop on the way home from picking up the trailer (getting a strengthened gate put on specifically for the bobcats width) so it will be more multi-purpose of a trailer than equipment ramps...
Everything you said definately helps... ;)

Tigerhaze

Thanks everyone... Tigerhaze... while I havent towed this particular piece of equipment I am not entirely new to towing... I pull with a 2500HD Diesel and the trailer I am using is an 18ft equipment trailer... I also have ALL grade 70 5/16' chain... I wont look too out of place... I actually put in about 4k to 5k miles of towing in the winter with a much larger enclosed sled trailer...
More or less I am just a little apprehensive since its my first time with this specific application of towing... and I was more specifically looking if anyone had some good suggestions as to front end binding locations and/or if in NYS you are required to seperately chain or strap the bucket... the laws are a bit relaxed because of the weight of this skid from what I am seeing... I can use straps or chains... and while I may still strap the bucket it doesnt appear in any of the laws I have found so far for the 2900lbs of skid I have...
I will definately look for that book though as I am going to swing through a truck stop on the way home from picking up the trailer (getting a strengthened gate put on specifically for the bobcats width) so it will be more multi-purpose of a trailer than equipment ramps...
Everything you said definately helps... ;)
I wasn't sure of your level of knowledge regarding trailering, so thought I would give some thoughts on it. It also helps others who may not be as familiar. I did find the manual I mentioned; it is published by JJ Keller and I found it at Pilot and Flying J truck stops but not sure what you have in your neck of the woods: http://www.jjkeller.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Cargo-Securement-Handbook-for-Drivers_10151_-1_10551_63087 I also found this manual online- it is from the FMCSA so gives the Federal perspective on this: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/safety-initiatives/cargo/cs-manual.htm On my Bobcat 630, there are what appear to be factory attachment points at the four corners of the subframe for securing. However for the front of the skid steer I often secure around the loader arms and bucket because the loader blocks the front attachment points. I know my 610 also has securing point on the rear; not sure on a 463 though.

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

I wasn't sure of your level of knowledge regarding trailering, so thought I would give some thoughts on it. It also helps others who may not be as familiar. I did find the manual I mentioned; it is published by JJ Keller and I found it at Pilot and Flying J truck stops but not sure what you have in your neck of the woods: http://www.jjkeller.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Cargo-Securement-Handbook-for-Drivers_10151_-1_10551_63087 I also found this manual online- it is from the FMCSA so gives the Federal perspective on this: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/safety-security/safety-initiatives/cargo/cs-manual.htm On my Bobcat 630, there are what appear to be factory attachment points at the four corners of the subframe for securing. However for the front of the skid steer I often secure around the loader arms and bucket because the loader blocks the front attachment points. I know my 610 also has securing point on the rear; not sure on a 463 though.
No problem... I probably came across a little harsh in my response and for that I apologise... I was bummed as they didnt have that manual at Pilot... I am going to download that federal standards one though and give it a once over...
I went ahead and got my trailer back and loaded up... I found the rear tiedown point sucks... you cant fit 2 chains through which leads me to believe that when they delivered it they must have only used a single rear chain...tsk tsk on that one... I ended up going around the axles and crossing to the points... for the front I also went around the arms and over the bucket... there are ZERO stock tiedown points on the front of this skid...
I went ahead and did the couple mile predrive just now to check out the tensions... I came back and everything is still snug... I purposely went down some bumpy and curvy roads...
The one thing that no one stated... and I honestly forgot above all else with this... is to check the cold pressures in the tires... a trucker buddy of mine said that to me and I am glad I went and looked... I was down at 30psi cold while I can be as high as 50psi... I upped it a bit to be safe and keep the tires a little cooler... I will post pictures shortly...

OldMachinist

No problem... I probably came across a little harsh in my response and for that I apologise... I was bummed as they didnt have that manual at Pilot... I am going to download that federal standards one though and give it a once over...
I went ahead and got my trailer back and loaded up... I found the rear tiedown point sucks... you cant fit 2 chains through which leads me to believe that when they delivered it they must have only used a single rear chain...tsk tsk on that one... I ended up going around the axles and crossing to the points... for the front I also went around the arms and over the bucket... there are ZERO stock tiedown points on the front of this skid...
I went ahead and did the couple mile predrive just now to check out the tensions... I came back and everything is still snug... I purposely went down some bumpy and curvy roads...
The one thing that no one stated... and I honestly forgot above all else with this... is to check the cold pressures in the tires... a trucker buddy of mine said that to me and I am glad I went and looked... I was down at 30psi cold while I can be as high as 50psi... I upped it a bit to be safe and keep the tires a little cooler... I will post pictures shortly...
Here's what the manual says about transporting the 453.
453Transport.jpg

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

Here's what the manual says about transporting the 453.
To make those hook slots work I am going to have to lose a LOT of chain...LOL My chains are between 8-10ft...LOL<p>Here are a couple shots...<p>http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/orgnoi1/Track Layout/2011_11_11-R01.jpg
2011_11_11-R01.jpg

<P>http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/orgnoi1/Track Layout/2011_11_11-R02.jpg
2011_11_11-R02.jpg

<p>http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/orgnoi1/Track Layout/2011_11_11-R03.jpg<p>
2011_11_11-R03.jpg

You can definately see the difference between my itty bitty 18ft flatbed... and the 24ft v-nose enclosed... which we tow all winter long...

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

To make those hook slots work I am going to have to lose a LOT of chain...LOL My chains are between 8-10ft...LOL<p>Here are a couple shots...<p>http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/orgnoi1/Track%20Layout/2011_11_11-R01.jpg

<P>http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/orgnoi1/Track%20Layout/2011_11_11-R02.jpg

<p>http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae201/orgnoi1/Track%20Layout/2011_11_11-R03.jpg<p>

You can definately see the difference between my itty bitty 18ft flatbed... and the 24ft v-nose enclosed... which we tow all winter long...
ok its killing me... I really cant remember how I posted pictures before...LOL

OldMachinist

ok its killing me... I really cant remember how I posted pictures before...LOL
I fixed you pictures.
To put images in a post just right click and copy any image hosted on the internet, then in the post right click and paste

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

I fixed you pictures.
To put images in a post just right click and copy any image hosted on the internet, then in the post right click and paste
Photobucket said it wouldnt allow that kind of share... strange... considering you had to have done that...LOL

SkidRoe

Photobucket said it wouldnt allow that kind of share... strange... considering you had to have done that...LOL
Hi Orgnoi1,
Sorry, I can't see your pictures (work firewal thing), but I trailer my 440B all of the time. I use the factory tie down points on the rear (the slots in the rear axle frame gussets), and a single chain to the bucket / attachment on the front of the machine (bucket lowered flat to the floor of the trailer, of course). I tighten up the chain to the front of the machine first (by backing up the machine), then load binder the rear chains. My chains are all 3/8" grade 70, which are likely over kill for a 2500 lb machine.
This seems to be quite legal for Ontario, where I have been moving around farm equipment and heavy equipment for 20+ years.
If I was required to chain down all four corners, there are slots in the front axle frame gussets that I would use, same as the rear.
My $0.02,
SR

OP
OP
Orgnoi1

Orgnoi1

Hi Orgnoi1,
Sorry, I can't see your pictures (work firewal thing), but I trailer my 440B all of the time. I use the factory tie down points on the rear (the slots in the rear axle frame gussets), and a single chain to the bucket / attachment on the front of the machine (bucket lowered flat to the floor of the trailer, of course). I tighten up the chain to the front of the machine first (by backing up the machine), then load binder the rear chains. My chains are all 3/8" grade 70, which are likely over kill for a 2500 lb machine.
This seems to be quite legal for Ontario, where I have been moving around farm equipment and heavy equipment for 20+ years.
If I was required to chain down all four corners, there are slots in the front axle frame gussets that I would use, same as the rear.
My $0.02,
SR
Thanks for the post... everything went exactly as planned! There and back with no issues... and did a ton of work... thanks everyone for the help!