2005 LS 190.B shut down while running and won't start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Motodbe

Hello. I left my 05 LS190B on the side of the road this evening because it shut down while I was driving it and it won't start up.This is not the first time the machine would not start (will crank, but won't start), but it is the first time it shut down on me while I was driving it. When it would not start in the past, I replaced either the boom or bucket solenoids on the control valve and that remedied the problem. After replacing these solenoids the machine ran fine for a while and then it began having intermittent problems starting. Although it doesn't start in the normal mode, it starts just when I flip the overhead toggle switch to the service/run position. Since the time I began having this intermittent start condition, I discussed the problem with my local New Holland dealer and the tech believed the starting problem was caused by the auxiliary solenoid on the control valve. This seemed logical and I was able to bypass that solenoid by jumpering the wire while I was waiting on my new solenoid to arrive. When the new solenoid arrived, the plugs were different and would not fit so I gave it back and found out the one I needed is not available anymore. The tech told me there was no risk to the machine if I just bypassed the solenoid so that's what I've been doing. Everything worked fine for a while, but the problem started coming back and obviously it's getting worse. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tractormech

Is what you're calling the auxiliary solenoid the little short one on the far left sitting in the seat looking down? If so jumping that out makes the machine think the auxiliary hydraulics are applied and the tractor won't turn over. There's a small wiring harness that goes to the solenoids on the injector pump and the (I think) the oil pressure sending unit and maybe the temp sending unit. Jump out the seat belt switch and operator presence switch in the bottom of the seat. Jump the seat switch first and then seat belt. You should hear buzzers when the seat switch is jumped and then jump the seat belt. Turn the key on and get a test light and check the solenoid on top of the pump. You should have voltage. If not wiggle the small harness and see if you hear a click from the solenoid on the injector pump. There's a splice that goes bad in the small harness and sometimes wiggling it will make it make contact. Try that and let us know.

OP
OP
M

Motodbe

Is what you're calling the auxiliary solenoid the little short one on the far left sitting in the seat looking down? If so jumping that out makes the machine think the auxiliary hydraulics are applied and the tractor won't turn over. There's a small wiring harness that goes to the solenoids on the injector pump and the (I think) the oil pressure sending unit and maybe the temp sending unit. Jump out the seat belt switch and operator presence switch in the bottom of the seat. Jump the seat switch first and then seat belt. You should hear buzzers when the seat switch is jumped and then jump the seat belt. Turn the key on and get a test light and check the solenoid on top of the pump. You should have voltage. If not wiggle the small harness and see if you hear a click from the solenoid on the injector pump. There's a splice that goes bad in the small harness and sometimes wiggling it will make it make contact. Try that and let us know.
Ok. I will try that in a few days and check back. Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
M

Motodbe

Ok. I will try that in a few days and check back. Thanks for the help.
Finally, I have time to try this today. You correctly described the solenoid I'm speaking of. Also, the tractor will turn on over, but not start.

Tractormech

Finally, I have time to try this today. You correctly described the solenoid I'm speaking of. Also, the tractor will turn on over, but not start.
Does it turn over if the service/run switch is in either position? If it does you need to chase the harness from the injector pump to the back side of the motor-there's a plug there to connect to the engine harness. Unplug it and turn the key on after you jump out the seat and seat belt switch. Again- When you jump the seat switch FIRST you should hear the EIC beeping. Jump the seat belt next and turn the key on and see if you have voltage at the plug on the engine harness. If so I bet the injector pump harness has an internal break. Check that and let us know.

OP
OP
M

Motodbe

Does it turn over if the service/run switch is in either position? If it does you need to chase the harness from the injector pump to the back side of the motor-there's a plug there to connect to the engine harness. Unplug it and turn the key on after you jump out the seat and seat belt switch. Again- When you jump the seat switch FIRST you should hear the EIC beeping. Jump the seat belt next and turn the key on and see if you have voltage at the plug on the engine harness. If so I bet the injector pump harness has an internal break. Check that and let us know.
If I toggle the service switch to the service position then it runs. In the normal switch position it only turns over. I followed your instructions and bypassed the seat and seatbelt switch in the proper order while turning the ignition key on and wiggled the wires around the solenoid and I was able to get intermittent power to the fuel solenoid, but it was difficult to tell where the problem was. Another time I wiggled part of the wiring harness close to the engine harness and I was able to get intermittent power to the fuel solenoid. I unplugged the engine harness and I think I was getting the proper power. I used a test light and got the exact same readings at the unplugged engine plug with the seat and seatbelt switches jumped and the ignition key on with the service toggle switch in the on and off position. Also, I noticed a broken connection where part of the solenoid harness leading to a sensor that was plugged into the engine block on the fuel solenoid side of the engine. When I tested the end of the broken wire it had power, but when I jumped it to the sensor it broke away from it showed no power. Could that be a bad sensor maybe shorting things out? Thanks for all of your help. I apologize for the very tardy response. I've had some personal issues to deal with and I haven't been able to work on it until today.