2002 New Holland Ls 160

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bfd1262

Does anyone know the factory bore specs for this engine? I was told by the dealer I needed a new Piston ring set due to white smoke and low compression test, before I do this I want to make sure I don't need the oversize set. Any help would be great.

skidsteer.ca

From the NH manual
Bore 3.307
Standard Value 3.307- 3.308
To be repaired 3.315
Allowable limit 3.354
Standard oversize .02 and .04
This post will be moved to the New Holland section as it was posted in Bobcat
Ken

frogfarmer

Without a thorough inspection after disassembly no one can make a 100% guess at cause of failure or required parts to remedy the problem. Leaky valves or valves to tight could also cause smoke and low compression. I would want to know exactly why they suspect the rings over all other possibilities. Does the engine have excesssive blowby measured by the proper equipment and not just the eye of some tech. Engines do wear out but it sounds like you may have been given the general diagnosis.

OP
OP
B

bfd1262

Without a thorough inspection after disassembly no one can make a 100% guess at cause of failure or required parts to remedy the problem. Leaky valves or valves to tight could also cause smoke and low compression. I would want to know exactly why they suspect the rings over all other possibilities. Does the engine have excesssive blowby measured by the proper equipment and not just the eye of some tech. Engines do wear out but it sounds like you may have been given the general diagnosis.
The mechanic at Akron Tractor ( a New Holland sales, service and parts shop ) said they did a wet and dry compression test and found the #1 piston was not coming up all the way. I did find the #1 connecting rod was bent. With the wet test the compression did increase. What should I look for with the valves?

frogfarmer

The mechanic at Akron Tractor ( a New Holland sales, service and parts shop ) said they did a wet and dry compression test and found the #1 piston was not coming up all the way. I did find the #1 connecting rod was bent. With the wet test the compression did increase. What should I look for with the valves?
With a bent rod I would suspect coolant entered the cylinder from a blown head gasket or cracked head. The head needs to be checked for cracks and possibly pressure tested if the cause is not evident. With the head off I would do a valve job and install new seals. Heads on those motors have been known to crack so dont assume its good with out the proper checks.

With a bent rod I would suspect coolant entered the cylinder from a blown head gasket or cracked head. The head needs to be checked for cracks and possibly pressure tested if the cause is not evident. With the head off I would do a valve job and install new seals. Heads on those motors have been known to crack so dont assume its good with out the proper checks.
a bent rod would make the compression lower as it changes the compression ratio. It would have alot more volume at tdc. A bent valve would be caused by a hydraulic lock. maybe antifreeze, maybe diesel maybe water.. could be any liquid. a leaking injector could have caused it. I see it on sleds and quads all the time when people suck water into the engine. maybe rain water got inside. it could be anything but you need to find out what it may be to prevent it from happening again. get the head checked and the injectors as well.