1997 753 Wet between peddles

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Joe288

OK i ordered i service manual but it wont be here till next week did allot of work to it already with no problems Thanks to you guys but now after pressure washing it all up I'm seeing a little oil or hydro fluid coming out of the plate thats between and above the foot peddles right in the middle of the machine. So whats in there and could i take it off .The Plate that is to see if its a gasket leaking? Theres nothing in there thats going to come flying out at me is there?

Tazza

Staff member
hehe no, nothing will jump out of there and attack you.
That is your park brake cover, its common for the gasket to leak around there.
Yours will be electro-magnetic so i'm not sure how its all held together. Ken will know what you need to do to remove the cover.

skidsteer.ca

hehe no, nothing will jump out of there and attack you.
That is your park brake cover, its common for the gasket to leak around there.
Yours will be electro-magnetic so i'm not sure how its all held together. Ken will know what you need to do to remove the cover.
Actually the PB solinoid is on the next cover back towards the rear (under the seat and in the center) Re sealin this is vary straight forward, get you silicone or a new gasket, remove the PB pedal and bolts that hold the cover, remover cover clean and re install.
Use the oportunity to inspect you chain case oil (10/30 motor oil) If oil is leaking out rain water may be leaking in and making your chain oil all milky looking.
You may want to check all 3 covers over the chain case for leaks, especially if you oil is milky.
There is a cover over the drain plug at the rear of the machine underneath with 3 3/8" (9/16" wrench) bolts holding it on.
There in a plu under this cover to drain the chain case , and one for the fuel tank on that machine i believe. The chain case drain one goes in towards the front, pull out the steel pin in the center of the plug then remove the plug if yu decide you need new oil.
Regards
Ken

OP
OP
J

Joe288

Actually the PB solinoid is on the next cover back towards the rear (under the seat and in the center) Re sealin this is vary straight forward, get you silicone or a new gasket, remove the PB pedal and bolts that hold the cover, remover cover clean and re install.
Use the oportunity to inspect you chain case oil (10/30 motor oil) If oil is leaking out rain water may be leaking in and making your chain oil all milky looking.
You may want to check all 3 covers over the chain case for leaks, especially if you oil is milky.
There is a cover over the drain plug at the rear of the machine underneath with 3 3/8" (9/16" wrench) bolts holding it on.
There in a plu under this cover to drain the chain case , and one for the fuel tank on that machine i believe. The chain case drain one goes in towards the front, pull out the steel pin in the center of the plug then remove the plug if yu decide you need new oil.
Regards
Ken
Thanks for the info how much oil is needed to properly fill the chain case to Full level? and do you need to fill from each cover or is it all the same case

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the info how much oil is needed to properly fill the chain case to Full level? and do you need to fill from each cover or is it all the same case
All the same case for both drives and all 3 covers. The level plug is on the front of the case right near the tie down loop for securing to a trailer.
I'm thinking 7.5 to 10 gals to fill. The case is the same as your hydraulic oil. 10/30 motor oil in everything.
Ken

OP
OP
J

Joe288

All the same case for both drives and all 3 covers. The level plug is on the front of the case right near the tie down loop for securing to a trailer.
I'm thinking 7.5 to 10 gals to fill. The case is the same as your hydraulic oil. 10/30 motor oil in everything.
Ken
Again I'm new to owning a bobcat But I'm learning fast. And Wait just a second your saying hydraulic oil and engine oil is one in the same they told me at the steallership i had to put spacial bobcat brand hydraulic fluid in there to work the controls then they sold me Special bobcat oil too!! for the motor whats up with that?
LOL They must have seen me coming And there still laughing after i left !!

Tazza

Staff member
Again I'm new to owning a bobcat But I'm learning fast. And Wait just a second your saying hydraulic oil and engine oil is one in the same they told me at the steallership i had to put spacial bobcat brand hydraulic fluid in there to work the controls then they sold me Special bobcat oil too!! for the motor whats up with that?
LOL They must have seen me coming And there still laughing after i left !!
They use the same oil in the chain case as you use in the hydraulics. Its basically just standard 10W30 or 10W40 engine oil. In the chain case, all it has to do is lubricate the chains, sprockets and bearings, nothing flash.
I just run castrol RX super all round, engine, hydraulics and chain case. It just keeps things simple, you can even use it in your truck engine. There is no reason you can't run cheap generic engine oil in the chain case.
From what i'm told, bobcat just buy whatever oil is cheap (and within specification) at the time and sell that as their own brand.
As for the different oils for the hydraulics and engine they sold you, the engine MUST run a disel grade oil, but the hydraulics do not require this. Thats why you got 2 different oils, the engine oil will be more expensive no doubt.
At least you know you have the correct oil.
I hope this is of at least some help.

OP
OP
J

Joe288

They use the same oil in the chain case as you use in the hydraulics. Its basically just standard 10W30 or 10W40 engine oil. In the chain case, all it has to do is lubricate the chains, sprockets and bearings, nothing flash.
I just run castrol RX super all round, engine, hydraulics and chain case. It just keeps things simple, you can even use it in your truck engine. There is no reason you can't run cheap generic engine oil in the chain case.
From what i'm told, bobcat just buy whatever oil is cheap (and within specification) at the time and sell that as their own brand.
As for the different oils for the hydraulics and engine they sold you, the engine MUST run a disel grade oil, but the hydraulics do not require this. Thats why you got 2 different oils, the engine oil will be more expensive no doubt.
At least you know you have the correct oil.
I hope this is of at least some help.
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm sold on opening all the cases and doing a little inspection on the chains and drain the oil and refill it with fresh oil.
Now what about the hydraulic fluid, does that go bad at some point and need to be changed, And i hear you all asking people is your machine whining if so start at the filters are theses filters in line? and should they need changing too while I'm in there.
My machine makes a little noise when i move the sticks forward and back and when i use the bucket, i don't think the noise is really bad but i don't have anything to compare it too. like i said this is my first machine. But i got the bobtach all rebuilt and i got the bushings done in the cross bar where the handles attach, replaced all the bushing from the handles back to the transmission pump and the centering bushings and spring are all done.
Now I'm looking for things to do that the bobcat dealer would have missed in there service like these hidden filters and things like that I'm still waiting on my service manual so if you guys think i need to do anything else let me know
Thanks again Joe

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for all the info. I think I'm sold on opening all the cases and doing a little inspection on the chains and drain the oil and refill it with fresh oil.
Now what about the hydraulic fluid, does that go bad at some point and need to be changed, And i hear you all asking people is your machine whining if so start at the filters are theses filters in line? and should they need changing too while I'm in there.
My machine makes a little noise when i move the sticks forward and back and when i use the bucket, i don't think the noise is really bad but i don't have anything to compare it too. like i said this is my first machine. But i got the bobtach all rebuilt and i got the bushings done in the cross bar where the handles attach, replaced all the bushing from the handles back to the transmission pump and the centering bushings and spring are all done.
Now I'm looking for things to do that the bobcat dealer would have missed in there service like these hidden filters and things like that I'm still waiting on my service manual so if you guys think i need to do anything else let me know
Thanks again Joe
I'm not sure if there are any hidden filters, but there will be the obvious hydraulic filter and engine oil filters.
When you drain your chain case oil, you need to get in there with rags and mop the bottom of the case out. There will be like black sludge at the bottom which is metal particles from your gears, sprockets and chains. This is totally normal (unless there are large pieces), this is why you need to mop it out, so you remove all the bits you can.
The noise you mention, are you running the machine at full throttle? if not, run it at full or near full throttle and see if it is better. At low RPM, its normal for there to be quite a bit of noise from the hydrostatics and hydraulics. You should really run it at max or near max speed when you are working it. I let mine idle down when its just sitting, or lower throttle when going down hills.
As for your hydraulic oil, if you haven't changed it (or your dealer) its a good idea to dump it, i think its suposed to be changed every 1000 hours. Some people in here use the oil oil from the hydraulics for the chain case. As your hydraulic oil is filtered, its as clean as you can get it. Its just an option if you don't want the expense of buying 30 os so litres of oil just for the chain case.

140mower

I'm not sure if there are any hidden filters, but there will be the obvious hydraulic filter and engine oil filters.
When you drain your chain case oil, you need to get in there with rags and mop the bottom of the case out. There will be like black sludge at the bottom which is metal particles from your gears, sprockets and chains. This is totally normal (unless there are large pieces), this is why you need to mop it out, so you remove all the bits you can.
The noise you mention, are you running the machine at full throttle? if not, run it at full or near full throttle and see if it is better. At low RPM, its normal for there to be quite a bit of noise from the hydrostatics and hydraulics. You should really run it at max or near max speed when you are working it. I let mine idle down when its just sitting, or lower throttle when going down hills.
As for your hydraulic oil, if you haven't changed it (or your dealer) its a good idea to dump it, i think its suposed to be changed every 1000 hours. Some people in here use the oil oil from the hydraulics for the chain case. As your hydraulic oil is filtered, its as clean as you can get it. Its just an option if you don't want the expense of buying 30 os so litres of oil just for the chain case.

140mower

I just finished re-sealing my chain case and changing the oil this afternoon. After I drained mine I pressure washed the chain case until spotless, I then wiped out the excess water and blew it dry with a compressor, then I drained the hydraulic tank into the rear cover and poured in a pail of 10w30 before sealing it up. I had changed the hyd oil about 150hrs ago but couldn't see myself dumping new oil in a chain case with-out changing the hyd oil at same time even though it was still quite new. As for "hidden" filters, there are two I believe, they are in aluminum housings on the case drains, remove the filters and disassemble, inside you will find a bronze filter much like the ones used in old Chevy carbs. While you're in there I'd suggest checking over the hyd. hoses for places where they rub and replace if bad enough or re-index the lines so the don't rub any more or atleast wrap them with some kind of protection. Hope this is of some use and didn't come too late. Don

skidsteer.ca

I just finished re-sealing my chain case and changing the oil this afternoon. After I drained mine I pressure washed the chain case until spotless, I then wiped out the excess water and blew it dry with a compressor, then I drained the hydraulic tank into the rear cover and poured in a pail of 10w30 before sealing it up. I had changed the hyd oil about 150hrs ago but couldn't see myself dumping new oil in a chain case with-out changing the hyd oil at same time even though it was still quite new. As for "hidden" filters, there are two I believe, they are in aluminum housings on the case drains, remove the filters and disassemble, inside you will find a bronze filter much like the ones used in old Chevy carbs. While you're in there I'd suggest checking over the hyd. hoses for places where they rub and replace if bad enough or re-index the lines so the don't rub any more or atleast wrap them with some kind of protection. Hope this is of some use and didn't come too late. Don
Bobcat recomends their oil but 10/30 is ok acording to the manuals (they just don't make any money that way)
Forgot to mention re cycling the hyd oil, but I do it to. 10/30 everywhere except the angle drive gear box that runs the cooling fan. That is spec'd 80/90 gear oil.
engine , chains, motor oil all 10/30 unless in vary cold climate, then 5/30
Ken

OP
OP
J

Joe288

Bobcat recomends their oil but 10/30 is ok acording to the manuals (they just don't make any money that way)
Forgot to mention re cycling the hyd oil, but I do it to. 10/30 everywhere except the angle drive gear box that runs the cooling fan. That is spec'd 80/90 gear oil.
engine , chains, motor oil all 10/30 unless in vary cold climate, then 5/30
Ken
Thanks for the replies guys didn't get a chance to do it yet Ive been using the machine every day i think i will do it before it gets cold here i will look for the bronze filters to replace them when I'm in there are they in the front or back of the case

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the replies guys didn't get a chance to do it yet Ive been using the machine every day i think i will do it before it gets cold here i will look for the bronze filters to replace them when I'm in there are they in the front or back of the case
The filters he mentioned are in line with your case drain hoses from your hydro motors. The small hose coming out of the motor is for "case drain" just internal by-pass inside the motor. Just follow the hoses from the motors, you'll find them.

140mower

The filters he mentioned are in line with your case drain hoses from your hydro motors. The small hose coming out of the motor is for "case drain" just internal by-pass inside the motor. Just follow the hoses from the motors, you'll find them.
On my 1997 763 there is one case drain filter hanging about two inches below the hyd tank and the other is on the left side (sitting on the machine) down along the chain case between the pump and hyd motor. If you're going to reseal your chain case in all three places you will need to remove the control panel and steering levers. Not bad to do, but, be sure to use a scribe and mark the steering linkage before disassembly, saves a few head aches. Also, be sure the machine is on level ground or well blocked, cause once the middle cover is off you're in freewheel mode. Don