1989 642b repower

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tacoma69

hey guys! i just bought a 642 bobcat with a dead motor. i dont know much about it and am looking for a diffrent motor to throw in it. its a sad looking thing! it has new tires and rims and a new bucket on it. figured that was worth the $1750 i payed for it. will try to post a pic.

OP
OP
T

tacoma69

i did upload a pic to this site but cant get it over here for the life of me! if you go to the photo section its the album 642b on the first page.

OP
OP
T

tacoma69

i did upload a pic to this site but cant get it over here for the life of me! if you go to the photo section its the album 642b on the first page.
ok, at first i was looking for a small car motor to drop in, but decided to find a motor with a govenor on it. looked everywhere and my boss came up with something. he has a cub cadet side by side with a 31HP kohler liquid cooler and injected motor. the tranny is shot and its been sitting for 3 years. wish me luck!

Tazza

Staff member
ok, at first i was looking for a small car motor to drop in, but decided to find a motor with a govenor on it. looked everywhere and my boss came up with something. he has a cub cadet side by side with a 31HP kohler liquid cooler and injected motor. the tranny is shot and its been sitting for 3 years. wish me luck!
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Good call going for an engine with a govenor, you really do need it with the vairable load. It would run, but when loaded down, it will bog, you'd almost need an accelerator pedal to try and keep it from stalling on you.
Instersting to see how you go with the injected motor, wonder how it can be made to govern the speed with changing loads.

OP
OP
T

tacoma69

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
Good call going for an engine with a govenor, you really do need it with the vairable load. It would run, but when loaded down, it will bog, you'd almost need an accelerator pedal to try and keep it from stalling on you.
Instersting to see how you go with the injected motor, wonder how it can be made to govern the speed with changing loads.
pulled the side by side out of the bush today and gave her a jump, and it started! a little suprised with 3 year old gas in it. pulled the motor and all the wiring out. i pulled the clutch off the crank i find that the shaft is tapered....... was not expecting that. took the motor over to my machinist friend along with the original coupling from the bobcat. asked him if he could make the 2 fit together. while he figures that out, this weekend im going to rebuild the cab so its a little safer.

Tazza

Staff member
pulled the side by side out of the bush today and gave her a jump, and it started! a little suprised with 3 year old gas in it. pulled the motor and all the wiring out. i pulled the clutch off the crank i find that the shaft is tapered....... was not expecting that. took the motor over to my machinist friend along with the original coupling from the bobcat. asked him if he could make the 2 fit together. while he figures that out, this weekend im going to rebuild the cab so its a little safer.
3 year old fuel, i wouldn't have expected it to start either.
There is always a way to make it work, being a machinist, i'm sure he will work it out.

OP
OP
T

tacoma69

3 year old fuel, i wouldn't have expected it to start either.
There is always a way to make it work, being a machinist, i'm sure he will work it out.
must be a good omen that it started! fingers crossed!! i got a good start on the cab rebuild this weekend. a little bit more and some paint and she will look fine. i uploaded a couple of pics of my progress, but of course i cant get them here.(anyone want to help with that?!) my friend said he will get on my adapter later this week. hopefully i will have it this coming weekend!

Link to picture album

flyerdan

must be a good omen that it started! fingers crossed!! i got a good start on the cab rebuild this weekend. a little bit more and some paint and she will look fine. i uploaded a couple of pics of my progress, but of course i cant get them here.(anyone want to help with that?!) my friend said he will get on my adapter later this week. hopefully i will have it this coming weekend!

Link to picture album
I put in a link to your album so one can click through and see the progress.
It appears that you're making the cage a bit lower than the typical Bobcat height, is this for getting it into a structure? Seems that ingress might be a bit more difficult with it that low.

OP
OP
T

tacoma69

I put in a link to your album so one can click through and see the progress.
It appears that you're making the cage a bit lower than the typical Bobcat height, is this for getting it into a structure? Seems that ingress might be a bit more difficult with it that low.
thank you flyerdan for putting a link to my pics! im not sure why it looks like my cab is lower then stock, its acutally 1/2" taller then stock. its been a busy couple of weeks trying to get this thing all worked out. i do have it driving around and it seams to work ok. i do have some issues with the hydralics but it has nothing to do with the repower. i used the wiring, cooloing system, exhaust and fuel system from the cub cadet SXS. the wiring was probley the most time cosuming. i had to shorten one end and lengthen the other end of the harnes. the fueling was easy as the fuel pump was external and just had to hook it up to the fuel line coming out of the gas tank.(i had to run a fuel return line also) i used the SXS rad and cooling fan. exhaust was simple, just mounted the muffler and made a short connector pipe. the motor sat lower then the original motor so i put 2"x2" square pipe under the motor mounts and then shimmed up with a couple of washers to get the coupler inline. to cool the oil cooler i found a electric rad fan from a VW jetta and mounted in under the cooler. all in all im happy with it. it wasnt hard to do, just time comsuming. if you have any question just ask! i put in more pics!

SkidRoe

thank you flyerdan for putting a link to my pics! im not sure why it looks like my cab is lower then stock, its acutally 1/2" taller then stock. its been a busy couple of weeks trying to get this thing all worked out. i do have it driving around and it seams to work ok. i do have some issues with the hydralics but it has nothing to do with the repower. i used the wiring, cooloing system, exhaust and fuel system from the cub cadet SXS. the wiring was probley the most time cosuming. i had to shorten one end and lengthen the other end of the harnes. the fueling was easy as the fuel pump was external and just had to hook it up to the fuel line coming out of the gas tank.(i had to run a fuel return line also) i used the SXS rad and cooling fan. exhaust was simple, just mounted the muffler and made a short connector pipe. the motor sat lower then the original motor so i put 2"x2" square pipe under the motor mounts and then shimmed up with a couple of washers to get the coupler inline. to cool the oil cooler i found a electric rad fan from a VW jetta and mounted in under the cooler. all in all im happy with it. it wasnt hard to do, just time comsuming. if you have any question just ask! i put in more pics!
Looks good!! Always love a repower project!! Cheers - SR