10 things you should know about your 743 bobcat.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Madbobcater743

Hey guys. As some of you might know I own a 743 pre 90? Not sure. When I bought it I knew it needed work. But I have faith in this old girl.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Here a few things that I know about it. I am not a mechanic just a guy who has been around machines.
1. If you have low compression there could be a bad cylinder. When I looked @ this machine I should of asked owner to give a cold start, would of seen it a mile away.
2. New tires make a world of difference ( even if they are cheap ones).
3. Make sure you are aware of your tire tread depth and observe rim life. ( blowing a tire sucks) and its dangerous as F@ck to put it back on the rim.
4. Make sure your fuel rail is tight as air in fuel system is a pain and tough/rough start. Priming the ball is helpful. Make sure your prime ball is tight/ no cracks.
5. Keep up on your fluids and constantly check for leaks. I myself am the proud owner of an engine leak that can cause quite the drip and stinks up my engine housing.
6. As much as it sucks listening to the machine and how it works is helpful. Also having a working electrical system is great. I can't wait for that! Must be nice.
7. A good set of glow plugs/ good battery is amazing!
8. Keep your machine well greased. I can't imagine what its like changing those pins and bushings if they never saw grease.
9. Maybe have a spare starter/altenator/belt handy in case you ever need to make something work. I can't wait to do a new starter/ altenator. I by no means am saying this is all you need to know. I'm just sharing what I have learned from my past 2 months. I would encourage everyone to please give a list of what they have learned from experience of being around a 743.
10. Oh and from the looks of it The gear box looks scary to work on.

Tazza

Staff member
A cold start is a must on any machine really, then you have a far better idea of the engines condition.
The gear reduction boxes aren't that scary actually. I have rebuilt a set before, it was pretty simple really.
I'd like to think you don't need a spare starter, I have yet to have a time that one gave out on me.
I'd think one of the most important things to have on had would be filters and spare oil.

SkidRoe

Did a quick edit to make it easier to read.
Great list!! Thanks!
Cheers - SR

tndigger

Did a quick edit to make it easier to read.
Great list!! Thanks!
Cheers - SR
I use the best battery I can find for these little diesels. The automotive batteries don't hold up very long for me. My bobcat gets used daily so I clean the engine bay out once a month and check for leaks I check tire pressure often because I run over the tire metal tracks and it can be a PITA to fix a tire that has been knocked off the rim. I grease the ujoint between engine and pump twice a year.

7LBSSMALLIE

I use the best battery I can find for these little diesels. The automotive batteries don't hold up very long for me. My bobcat gets used daily so I clean the engine bay out once a month and check for leaks I check tire pressure often because I run over the tire metal tracks and it can be a PITA to fix a tire that has been knocked off the rim. I grease the ujoint between engine and pump twice a year.
well said my friend. a side note. pissed me off this year. I fix bobcats all day every day. yet had to borrow a shovel from neighbor. ? yea go figure. a 743 with a stop cable. . and keep in mind. that the 2207 Kubota does not need perfect compreesssion to run. with glow plugs and a block heat. she will start. at 90 psi per cyl. and run all day. as to why strictyly conjecture. maybe these old girls just love being alive. .