year of my 773

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

freefish50

i would like to know what year it is the serial number is 509636900 does that make it a 1996? It started to smoke and spewing fluid out of the exhaust, and then wouldn't start. I let it set for a couple of days and was going to look into it today after work. the oil definitely has coolant in it . so i don't know if it is worth sticking money into the engine if it is that old. i think i can get the head off without pulling the engine.do these have problems with blown head gaskets?

6brnorma

Go to Bobcat website…..upper left hand corner, open "our company", a second "our company" will appear also upper left hand side….click on drop down menu and open "Serial numbers…what year was my machine made"……fill out information and they will respond within a day.

mmsllc

Go to Bobcat website…..upper left hand corner, open "our company", a second "our company" will appear also upper left hand side….click on drop down menu and open "Serial numbers…what year was my machine made"……fill out information and they will respond within a day.
No engine is exempt from head gasket failures, especially those that are cooled by water; also called coolant. Before you go to far inn repairing the engine, try to figure out why the head gasket / head went bad. For instance, does the fan still function? did the thermostat stick closed? was there a coolant leak that went unchecked for too long? is the radiator cap missing? is the radiator full of "stop-leak"? The idea of doing this is to be most certain that the engine will not fail again right after the repair. If I were dedicating time to repair an engine, I would replace all of the wearable items. That way when I was done, I would know what I had. It will cost more to do it that way, but will consistently yield better results every time!!!

reaperman

How many hours are on the engine? Don't let the machines age deter you from getting it fixed. The 773 has a very good engine, although it may not seem like it now. Unless you can find a cheap replacement engine somewhere, your going to have to bite the bullet and get it repaired.

SkidRoe

Like stated earlier, I would be more concerned with why the engine developed this problem. Kubotas do not respond well to overheating, nor do they respond well to some forms of coolant stop-leak remedies (i.e Barsleak).
That said, if worse comes to worse, many folks over the years have sourced replacement V2203 engines from old trailer reefers and put them in their machines.
With respect to the age of your machine, is the rear door all orange, or does it have a black top section? This will at least narrow it down to a series.
HTH - SR

OP
OP
F

freefish50

Like stated earlier, I would be more concerned with why the engine developed this problem. Kubotas do not respond well to overheating, nor do they respond well to some forms of coolant stop-leak remedies (i.e Barsleak).
That said, if worse comes to worse, many folks over the years have sourced replacement V2203 engines from old trailer reefers and put them in their machines.
With respect to the age of your machine, is the rear door all orange, or does it have a black top section? This will at least narrow it down to a series.
HTH - SR
Thanks. here is a bit more info the cap was on radiator when this happened i did check the coolant level it took about a 1 1/2 qt. i have never added stop leak and the temp at the time showed normal operating temp. I quess my question is it possible to get the head off without pulling the engine I know you guys have more experience and i am thinking i can better evulate the problem once the head is off. the thing iam doing tonite is draing the coolant and oil putting in fresh oil and turning over for a bit to get as much moisture out of the system and then drain it again. any thoughts on this

OP
OP
F

freefish50

HTH - SR
rear door is all orange

SkidRoe

rear door is all orange
Most likely an F series, built between 1996 and 1999, not that it makes too much difference. As long as you have your serial number when ordering parts, you will be fine. I would pull the injectors or the glow plugs before trying to turn it over. You may have a cylinder full of coolant, and you don't want to bend a connecting rod. As far as taking the head off with the engine in, you likely can, but I am willing to bet that you will have the engine out of the machine before this is all over. And if you do, when pulling the engine on these, it is best to take it out together with the pump group. HTH - SR

mmsllc

Most likely an F series, built between 1996 and 1999, not that it makes too much difference. As long as you have your serial number when ordering parts, you will be fine. I would pull the injectors or the glow plugs before trying to turn it over. You may have a cylinder full of coolant, and you don't want to bend a connecting rod. As far as taking the head off with the engine in, you likely can, but I am willing to bet that you will have the engine out of the machine before this is all over. And if you do, when pulling the engine on these, it is best to take it out together with the pump group. HTH - SR
Was thinking of the easiest way of grabbing the engine to remove it, can a fork lift under the engine oil pan area (but not on the oil pan) be a viable option? How do you guys pull them out? I'm trying to figure out the fastest / best way to do these fast.