which one??

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

gizzard

I am severely mechanically challenged, so I was hoping for some help. Which is the better value, do you think? A Gehl 5640 (zero hrs) with hand/foot controls for $26K or A 2004 Bobcat S250 (450 hrs) for $25K....I know the owner and machine has been well taken care of......needs new set of tires

jmatt20

This has me wondering? 450 hours and needs tires? Hmm
Jim
i got 280 hrs on a new s220 and the tires are about 90% gone ,if you run on ac and concrete a lot it just scrubs the tires right off. my last machine ,an 843 got about 400 hrs per set average.

frank123

i got 280 hrs on a new s220 and the tires are about 90% gone ,if you run on ac and concrete a lot it just scrubs the tires right off. my last machine ,an 843 got about 400 hrs per set average.
I wouldn't be afraid of that few hours from a known source on the BC. Otherwise, do you need the extra capacity and HP of the 250. The roc is 450# greater than the Gehl, and you've got 15 more HP (75). But, it's also a larger framed machine, which may not always be a good thing, depending on what you're going to do with it. I've spent a fair amount of time in Gehl's and think they're a decent machine, but I always had their hand controls, which are kind of nice when you get used to them. For the same money, my opinion is that you're getting a lot more machine with the BC, but if you don't need it, maybe new is the way to go.
Frank

OP
OP
G

gizzard

I am severely mechanically challenged, so I was hoping for some help. Which is the better value, do you think? A Gehl 5640 (zero hrs) with hand/foot controls for $26K or A 2004 Bobcat S250 (450 hrs) for $25K....I know the owner and machine has been well taken care of......needs new set of tires There is now a 3rd option......a 2005 Caterpillar 242 with 1,000 hrs....I know the mechanic who helped his friend (I know the friend too) go pick out the machine new. The mechanic has worked on it since day 1....no one else. Has steel tracks that are removable, has enclosed cab with AC/heat, has radio..........26K

OP
OP
G

gizzard

I am severely mechanically challenged, so I was hoping for some help. Which is the better value, do you think? A Gehl 5640 (zero hrs) with hand/foot controls for $26K or A 2004 Bobcat S250 (450 hrs) for $25K....I know the owner and machine has been well taken care of......needs new set of tires There is now a 3rd option......a 2005 Caterpillar 242 with 1,000 hrs....I know the mechanic who helped his friend (I know the friend too) go pick out the machine new. The mechanic has worked on it since day 1....no one else. Has steel tracks that are removable, has enclosed cab with AC/heat, has radio..........26K
There is now a 3rd option......a 2005 Caterpillar 242 with 1,000 hrs....I know the mechanic who helped his friend (I know the friend too) go pick out the machine new. The mechanic has worked on it since day 1....no one else. Has steel tracks that are removable, has enclosed cab with AC/heat, has radio..........26K

mikie

There is now a 3rd option......a 2005 Caterpillar 242 with 1,000 hrs....I know the mechanic who helped his friend (I know the friend too) go pick out the machine new. The mechanic has worked on it since day 1....no one else. Has steel tracks that are removable, has enclosed cab with AC/heat, has radio..........26K
i'm by no means no pricing expert, but i've seen cat track machines with low hours go for less money. you have to be careful with the tracks they dont like clay/rock mixture. i work for a cat dealer so if i can help with any questions, feel free, mikie