Which auger???

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

500K_773

I am considering purchasing an auger. I would use it for 4x4 fence posts (9" bit), concrete sonotube foundation posts (30" bit), and tree planting (30" or 36" bit). The soils in my area are mostly silty / loamy soils with some areas that have gravel and possibly schist, so nothing real hard.
The 15C auger is a medium speed / medium torque which would turn about 85 RPM at max flow on my machine and see 1950#'s of torque at max pressure. The 30C is a low speed / high torque model which would only turn 44 RPM on my machine, but see 3780# of torque at max pressure. Which model would work best for my application?
If you have experience with augers, do you turn it at max RPM or usually slower? With the larger bits, I imagine higher torque would be benefitial.
My dealer only has carried the 15C model, so I would have to special order in the 30C model. This also means I would not be able to rent the 30C model before purchasing it. The dealer is currently out of bits larger than 12" so I am going to have to order in the larger bits anyway.

StuZ

Go with the 15C and turn the flow down if you think you need to. If you think you are going thru some hard material, get a harder tipped bit. (they have 4 different hardnesses) We have used a 24" bit on a 15C without any problems at all on a S130/S185

StuZ

Something else you might want to consider is a 24" extention for the bit. Just something to keep in mind ;-)

Latest posts