What is best paint and prep?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jinxie

Hi I seem to be getting a bit anal with my 94 753 Bobcat....I want it to stay in good shape! Im not going to disassemble and refurbish it, but instead touch it up where needed. What is the best way to prep and what is the best type or brand of paint to use. I use the Bobcat 90% of the time for snow.... Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I have never done patches, i have pulled entire machines down to do it....
Ken did his a few years back with a sand blaster on the rusty patches then filled and painted them up, came out pretty well!
I have used equipment enamel twice and two pack once. Enamel is great as its easy to clean and mix but i really don't like the finish. If the weather isn't just rite you get dusty areas from where the paint dries a little too fast. I have also found that rust can come through it pretty quickly even when the area was sand blasted first.
Two pack gives an awesome shine and tough finish, i painted my 743 3 or so years ago and there are no signs of rust. The paint is a pain as you need to mix enough for the job and any left over is wasted. It STINKS you need a respirator as its not good for your health. The over spray gets on everything as its slower to dry. Don't apply it too fast or it will run, give it time to flash between light coats. The surfaces must be oil and wax free, any oil and it will make what some call fish eggs, little spots where the paint will not cling. Enamel seems to be a little more forgiving on this.
I just used off the shelf white and black for mine. I got the orange for the door and rims mixed and used enamel as these don't really matter as much.
Personally for a long lasting finish i would look at two pack but be prepared for some horrid smells and mess from over spray. The end results are totally worth the effort though.
I'm sure others will have different views.

rraulston

I have never done patches, i have pulled entire machines down to do it....
Ken did his a few years back with a sand blaster on the rusty patches then filled and painted them up, came out pretty well!
I have used equipment enamel twice and two pack once. Enamel is great as its easy to clean and mix but i really don't like the finish. If the weather isn't just rite you get dusty areas from where the paint dries a little too fast. I have also found that rust can come through it pretty quickly even when the area was sand blasted first.
Two pack gives an awesome shine and tough finish, i painted my 743 3 or so years ago and there are no signs of rust. The paint is a pain as you need to mix enough for the job and any left over is wasted. It STINKS you need a respirator as its not good for your health. The over spray gets on everything as its slower to dry. Don't apply it too fast or it will run, give it time to flash between light coats. The surfaces must be oil and wax free, any oil and it will make what some call fish eggs, little spots where the paint will not cling. Enamel seems to be a little more forgiving on this.
I just used off the shelf white and black for mine. I got the orange for the door and rims mixed and used enamel as these don't really matter as much.
Personally for a long lasting finish i would look at two pack but be prepared for some horrid smells and mess from over spray. The end results are totally worth the effort though.
I'm sure others will have different views.
my bobcat dealer sells pints of paint. I wonder if theirs is any good. They are factory colors i believe....Even have it in a spray can.............Ray

Tazza

Staff member
my bobcat dealer sells pints of paint. I wonder if theirs is any good. They are factory colors i believe....Even have it in a spray can.............Ray
They do indeed have factory paint but you can't be sure it will match up as the paint fades, not that its a big issue if you were to re-paint a large section. I would suspect the paint they sell is acrylic or enamel. The factory paint would be two pack, its really quite tough stuff.
Do let us know how you go when you attack it though!

Chandler

They do indeed have factory paint but you can't be sure it will match up as the paint fades, not that its a big issue if you were to re-paint a large section. I would suspect the paint they sell is acrylic or enamel. The factory paint would be two pack, its really quite tough stuff.
Do let us know how you go when you attack it though!
I sandblasted and painted my bobcat this summer. I used an industrial metal primer and I used bobcat paint. It worked out pretty good. I didn't know it at the time when I bought it but the white bobcat paint in the quart can was premixed (with thinner) so it didn't go as far as I thought. I bought it from an individual who I guess had it left over from painting his. According to my dealer I would have to buy 6 qts. at a time when ordering the paint in quart cans. This may not be the case now, as far as it being premixed, but you might check to make sure when ordering the paint. If it is you'll need twice as much.

ytr1903

I sandblasted and painted my bobcat this summer. I used an industrial metal primer and I used bobcat paint. It worked out pretty good. I didn't know it at the time when I bought it but the white bobcat paint in the quart can was premixed (with thinner) so it didn't go as far as I thought. I bought it from an individual who I guess had it left over from painting his. According to my dealer I would have to buy 6 qts. at a time when ordering the paint in quart cans. This may not be the case now, as far as it being premixed, but you might check to make sure when ordering the paint. If it is you'll need twice as much.
Ah, finally something on this website that I can help with. I am in the USA so it may only apply to those of you who live here. Dupont mixes bobcat colors. I have used their Centari enamel with hardener several times. The white number is 508A, the orange number is 7219A. If you are going to put a clear coat over the Centari, do not use the hardener. The clear will have a hardener to mix with it. If not using clear, definitely use the hardener. The job will turn out much nicer and last much longer than shooting straight enamel. When shooting ANY paint that has a hardener/catalyst, please, please please use a respirator with a seperate air supply. A regular respirator mask will not filter the bad stuff (isocyanates). Thanks again for all help that I have received on this website.
Tom

Bobpuddy

Ah, finally something on this website that I can help with. I am in the USA so it may only apply to those of you who live here. Dupont mixes bobcat colors. I have used their Centari enamel with hardener several times. The white number is 508A, the orange number is 7219A. If you are going to put a clear coat over the Centari, do not use the hardener. The clear will have a hardener to mix with it. If not using clear, definitely use the hardener. The job will turn out much nicer and last much longer than shooting straight enamel. When shooting ANY paint that has a hardener/catalyst, please, please please use a respirator with a seperate air supply. A regular respirator mask will not filter the bad stuff (isocyanates). Thanks again for all help that I have received on this website.
Tom
Do you know the number for the dupont black? Thanks

Latest posts