what hydraulic oil should i use in skid steer

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tazza

Staff member
Any 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil will work. NEVER run hydraulic oil, its too thin.

Hondaman900

Any 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil will work. NEVER run hydraulic oil, its too thin.
My M-600 manual states type"A" automatic transmission fluid or Dexron fluid. That stuff is expensive ($6/qt. = $480), and I need 20 gallons to replace the very old thin black stuff in there at the moment. I was going to treat my Bobcat to a new filter and fluid transfusion, but may have to take out a second mortgage to do so. Anyone have a less-expensive alternative fluid recommendation that meets the specs? Will regular motor oil, as suggested here, work on this machine? I have a source for free hydraulic fluid, but are we sure that will not work?

Thanks, Stephen

Tazza

Staff member
My M-600 manual states type"A" automatic transmission fluid or Dexron fluid. That stuff is expensive ($6/qt. = $480), and I need 20 gallons to replace the very old thin black stuff in there at the moment. I was going to treat my Bobcat to a new filter and fluid transfusion, but may have to take out a second mortgage to do so. Anyone have a less-expensive alternative fluid recommendation that meets the specs? Will regular motor oil, as suggested here, work on this machine? I have a source for free hydraulic fluid, but are we sure that will not work?

Thanks, Stephen
Your M600 is not hydrostatic drive though. So you don't need to use heavier oil
Any Hydraulic oil should work fine in your M-600, i can't see why standard engine oil wouldn't work too. If it was me, i would use the FREE hydraulic oil.

Hondaman900

Your M600 is not hydrostatic drive though. So you don't need to use heavier oil
Any Hydraulic oil should work fine in your M-600, i can't see why standard engine oil wouldn't work too. If it was me, i would use the FREE hydraulic oil.
Excellent advice Tazza - thanks. Why do you think think the manual specifies A/T fluid? Is it different/the same as hydraulic fluid?
Stephen

Tazza

Staff member
Excellent advice Tazza - thanks. Why do you think think the manual specifies A/T fluid? Is it different/the same as hydraulic fluid?
Stephen
As far as i'm aware they are basically the same. ATF may have some additives to help it work better with the heat generated in a transmission.

skidsteer.ca

As far as i'm aware they are basically the same. ATF may have some additives to help it work better with the heat generated in a transmission.
Is this machine a wet disc clutch drive? If so you probably should have atf for the clutch plates in it. Why is atf so high where you are or is type A somthing special?
I have heard of type f and the dextron type but not A. Ususally atf is @ $2 a qt and cheaper by th 5 gallon pail. I just used shells donax tg in the m371 bobcat I had with no problems. It appeared to have atf in it when I got but is was milky looking. With a wet disc clutch drive trans flid just makes sense to me
Ken

OP
OP
M

mustang2105

Is this machine a wet disc clutch drive? If so you probably should have atf for the clutch plates in it. Why is atf so high where you are or is type A somthing special?
I have heard of type f and the dextron type but not A. Ususally atf is @ $2 a qt and cheaper by th 5 gallon pail. I just used shells donax tg in the m371 bobcat I had with no problems. It appeared to have atf in it when I got but is was milky looking. With a wet disc clutch drive trans flid just makes sense to me
Ken
I went to 5 different stores. What does R &O stand for? there was R&O, R&O 32 , "303", aw45 I went with the 32. I called mustang and they said if the fluid is gold then use universal hydraulic fluid. If it is red use ATF. I called the local rental that rents bobcats and they told me they use 32 weight hydraulic.

2109 Stang

I went to 5 different stores. What does R &O stand for? there was R&O, R&O 32 , "303", aw45 I went with the 32. I called mustang and they said if the fluid is gold then use universal hydraulic fluid. If it is red use ATF. I called the local rental that rents bobcats and they told me they use 32 weight hydraulic.
Hi guys new to the forum ,I have a 2109 witch is the same machine as yours and was recommended to use premium hyd fluid

Hondaman900

Hi guys new to the forum ,I have a 2109 witch is the same machine as yours and was recommended to use premium hyd fluid
According to my local dealer, the 600 series were shipped with atf. However, when they service them, they use motor oil grater than 10W. They said hydraulic fluid would be fine, and (while chuckling) that what's in my Bobcat is probably a cocktail of different fluids mingled from 30+ years of use/abuse, so it's not that critical.

goodtech

According to my local dealer, the 600 series were shipped with atf. However, when they service them, they use motor oil grater than 10W. They said hydraulic fluid would be fine, and (while chuckling) that what's in my Bobcat is probably a cocktail of different fluids mingled from 30+ years of use/abuse, so it's not that critical.
Just a little side note for you boys that have newer machines that are still under warranty- You MUST USE BOBCAT HYDRAULIC OIL, bobcat is having the oil sampled if you have any type of failure to your hydraulic or hydrostat system, if it is not bobcat hydraulic oil, the repairs are coming out of your pockets.

hmw

RO stands for "Rust and Oxidation inhibitors" AW stands for "anti-wear" The number is the viscosity rating usually at at 40degrees C. We use AW in all our bucket trucks and derricks. We have used RO in a pinch. I would use Bobcat fluids if machine was still under warranty. Of course if its still that new you shouldnt have to be adding fluid anyway. We use AW-32 in everything. Trenchers, excavators, bucket trucks etc.

jmatt20

RO stands for "Rust and Oxidation inhibitors" AW stands for "anti-wear" The number is the viscosity rating usually at at 40degrees C. We use AW in all our bucket trucks and derricks. We have used RO in a pinch. I would use Bobcat fluids if machine was still under warranty. Of course if its still that new you shouldnt have to be adding fluid anyway. We use AW-32 in everything. Trenchers, excavators, bucket trucks etc.
goodtech:...i'm looking at my s220 service book and it says i can use vg 100 from 40 to 120 degrees f,vg 45 from -40 to 80 degrees f,and synthetic hydraulic /hydrostatic fluid from-40 degrees to 120 degrees f . it also says i can use bobcat fluid from -40 to 120 degrees f. i'm thinking that if the book says i can use other than bobcat fluid they can't void my warrantee as long as i use a recomended fluid. some dealers will say anything to get out of doing warantee work ,i hear that some ford dealers were trying to void warantees on diesel trucks if there was red dye fuel in the tanks ...someone may have broken some road tax laws but to the engine there is no difference between red fuel and road taxed fuel.

Latest posts