tractor trans/hydraulic fluid?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mark18mwm

Any of you guys with the old clutch machines, 500, 600 & 610 run Tractor trans/hydraulic oil in them? I got my 600 years ago and I got it with ATF in it and have been running it since then. Seems some Bobcat manuals say ATF others say 10w-30w. I know the ATF works so I kept using it. I am wondering if any of you use the trans/hydro oil instead of ATF. ATF works fine but cost significantly more than the trans/hydro. They seem to be very similar oils and I know lots of guys racing cars (strip and circle track) run it in their auto transmissions and like it better then ATF, it makes the clutches stick better. The trans/hydro made for wet clutches and powershift machines is what I was looking at, it's heavy duty anti foaming stuff they trust in half million dollar machines built for abuse and holds up well. Several manufacturers even use it to lube ring and pinions, that is hard use. I'm thinking as long as it's the stuff for wet clutches it should work fine but I always like to hear other opinions. Do any of you run the stuff?

Hotrod1830

Today's ATF is still a petroleum base, with additives and dye to make it red. The additives are what makes or breaks a lubricant. With that being said, I have ran 5w30 bulk oil in my 310 since I got it. No problems. It uses the same clutches as your's. On my next oil change I intend to try the Hydro oil intended for "Wet clutches". My logic in it, is a little bit of additives intended for hydraulics can only help.
For what it's worth, conventional ATF was never designed to run at the pressures hydraulics operate at. Does it work? Yes. Is it optimal? Probably not. Granted, ATF has come a long way since these machines where built, I would still rather run a lubricant that was intended for Hydro use. It may be part of the reason it works better in a racing application(i.e. higher pressures and temps)
If you are looking for cheap lubricant's, you might look into buying bulk. Visit your local oil supply, or lube shop( oil supply first) and price out what you need.

Hotrod1830

Today's ATF is still a petroleum base, with additives and dye to make it red. The additives are what makes or breaks a lubricant. With that being said, I have ran 5w30 bulk oil in my 310 since I got it. No problems. It uses the same clutches as your's. On my next oil change I intend to try the Hydro oil intended for "Wet clutches". My logic in it, is a little bit of additives intended for hydraulics can only help.
For what it's worth, conventional ATF was never designed to run at the pressures hydraulics operate at. Does it work? Yes. Is it optimal? Probably not. Granted, ATF has come a long way since these machines where built, I would still rather run a lubricant that was intended for Hydro use. It may be part of the reason it works better in a racing application(i.e. higher pressures and temps)
If you are looking for cheap lubricant's, you might look into buying bulk. Visit your local oil supply, or lube shop( oil supply first) and price out what you need.
BTW, orscheln's " 303 tractor fluid" is usually as cheap as you can buy in bulk.

OP
OP
M

mark18mwm

Thanks Hotrod. Pretty much what I was thinking. I think the trans/hydro is the way to go personally. I just want to hear any praise or horror stories to make a more informed decision. And, I usually buy al my oils bulk if I can. Every thing I own is kind of a antique and needs a lot of love.....and oil(s). lol

user4579

Thanks Hotrod. Pretty much what I was thinking. I think the trans/hydro is the way to go personally. I just want to hear any praise or horror stories to make a more informed decision. And, I usually buy al my oils bulk if I can. Every thing I own is kind of a antique and needs a lot of love.....and oil(s). lol
Well Hello! Yes I'm back with another question. Sometime in the near future I need to replace the oil in the chain drives on a M-600 I just bought. I know from past experience that the "tractor trans/fluid" is pretty good stuff. Much better for the bearings and chains than ATF or engine weight oils. At the local TSC store it is about half the price of the other oils. So I guess my only question is how many use it and is it OK on the clutches?

OP
OP
M

mark18mwm

I guess I'll be finding out, I put it in this weekend. By all the research I studied it seems to be a better choice than ATF of motor oil. Time will tell. Excellent lubricity, detergents, anti foaming and friction additives for the clutches and seemingly safe on seals where ATF is used. I will not be surprised one way or the other how it works but I do think it will actually better than ATF.

user4579

I guess I'll be finding out, I put it in this weekend. By all the research I studied it seems to be a better choice than ATF of motor oil. Time will tell. Excellent lubricity, detergents, anti foaming and friction additives for the clutches and seemingly safe on seals where ATF is used. I will not be surprised one way or the other how it works but I do think it will actually better than ATF.
OK, Thanks and please keep me updated. I'm not worried about anything but the clutch plates. Todays tractor fluids are at least 10 times better than the best oils from years ago.

1ofU

OK, Thanks and please keep me updated. I'm not worried about anything but the clutch plates. Todays tractor fluids are at least 10 times better than the best oils from years ago.
i use 303 from orschelns in a backhoe , here is a chart
 photo visc_zpsuv0r6vpa.jpg

Latest posts