Torque for axle sprocket bolt for 742/743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

brdgbldr

What is the propper torque for the axle sprocket bolt on a 742/743? My manual has it as 475-515 ft-lbs (644-712 Nm) on the removal page and 300 ft-lbs (409 Nm) on the installation page. I would think that it would be the larger numbers since my 543B manual says 300-330 ft-lbs and is much smaller then the 742. Also, I do not see a lot of room for a torque wrench. I do not have a torque wrench adapter so I was thinking of drilling a couple of holes in a steel bar to bolt onto the hub and then welding a large nut to the center of it to get my torque wrench on. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I don't have a wrench that goes that high, i use a bar with holes to slot over 3 wheel studs, i then haul on it. The bolts have loctite on them, so i figure it will be ok, thay aren't going anywhere!

Bobcatdan

I don't have a wrench that goes that high, i use a bar with holes to slot over 3 wheel studs, i then haul on it. The bolts have loctite on them, so i figure it will be ok, thay aren't going anywhere!
Exactly what Taz said. Stick a box end wrench on the sprocket nut, jam it against something. Then take a 5 ft prybar threw the wheel studs and give it all you got. This is also the easiest way to remove it.

OP
OP
brdgbldr

brdgbldr

Exactly what Taz said. Stick a box end wrench on the sprocket nut, jam it against something. Then take a 5 ft prybar threw the wheel studs and give it all you got. This is also the easiest way to remove it.
Thanks guys, I did use a pry bar to remove them. I just figured since I do have a 600 ft-lb torque wrench I would give it a try. How easily I get the sprokets on will determine my mood, and since it will most likely be bad, it will be the pry bar to put them back on.

waggles

Thanks guys, I did use a pry bar to remove them. I just figured since I do have a 600 ft-lb torque wrench I would give it a try. How easily I get the sprokets on will determine my mood, and since it will most likely be bad, it will be the pry bar to put them back on.
A bobcat tech told me how to undo and tighten those bolts many years ago , support all 4 axles so the wheels are all off the ground. Then with cab tilted and chaincase open place a 28mm high quality ring spanner on the bolt and start the engine and use the torque of the machine to undo the bolts. This must be done at the lowest idle possible and extreme care taken. It works !

Tazza

Staff member
A bobcat tech told me how to undo and tighten those bolts many years ago , support all 4 axles so the wheels are all off the ground. Then with cab tilted and chaincase open place a 28mm high quality ring spanner on the bolt and start the engine and use the torque of the machine to undo the bolts. This must be done at the lowest idle possible and extreme care taken. It works !
I heard a bobcat mechanic did it that way too.

Latest posts