TIRE CHAINS

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

porta mill

I am wondering what every one is doing in reguards to tire chains. my drive way is very steep it is hard to get traction while plowing with the skid steere . i want to get a set of chains . is it better to put chains on all four tires or just two. looking for some pros and cons of chains

skidsteer.ca

Cons
Rougher ride on hard surfaces. (does not include packed snow)
If you install them too loose you will get to freeze your fingers digging though the snow to find one or unwrapping it from around the axel.
Pros
Your loader will think it is on packed gravel when you plowing.
I just run cross link (not V bar) on the back and it makes about a 300% improvement on frozen packed snow (more if temps are near or above the freezing point)
You can run them on the front as well, if you want. I'd say its unnesecary unless you are carring vary heavy loads that transfer 90% of the weight to the front tires.
Ken

pelpel

I run Vbar in back only on my 751 while doing snow duty and it works like a charm, does make a mess of pavement by gouging it.

kdmcon

if you can find a set of snow tires that fit your rims they make all the difference with out the rough annoying ride and the damage to the driveway.

OP
OP
P

porta mill

if you can find a set of snow tires that fit your rims they make all the difference with out the rough annoying ride and the damage to the driveway.
thanks for the input . my drive way is gravel and dirt so damage to it is not a conscern .i guess the next envestment will be in a set chains again thank you

kdmcon

thanks for the input . my drive way is gravel and dirt so damage to it is not a conscern .i guess the next envestment will be in a set chains again thank you
Fot eh price of snowchainsyou shouldreally look at the over the wheel tracks made by eel river steel.

wings5j

Fot eh price of snowchainsyou shouldreally look at the over the wheel tracks made by eel river steel.
I am running a 742B with 10 x 16.5 tires. I picked up a brand new set of cross link chains from my Bobcat dealer for $90. They came from the Peerless truck chain line I believe. At any rate, I have them on the back tires only and I am getting around just fine. I have a fairly steep gravel driveway. I plow the snow downhill and then back the Bobcat up the driveway for the next run. I am pushing an 84" Bobcat blade and moving more snow than I would have imagined. Get a set of chains, you will like them. John