Time in the seat, other than yours

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

m610

Just wondering how many of you in addition to running your own machine use one at work, or volunteered to help someone who may have rented a skid steer and got scared of the thing? I had this happen once, it was the only time I got to run a tracked machine (RC30) moving rocks and mulch around a yard. Yes someone 6'7" can fit in one of those things! At another time I had taken on extra work from a friend in the landscape business, when he needed time with his family I was paid to do the work that just HAD to be done on weekends. I used his loader and truck on a pretty regular basis. In this area the opportunity to run a skid steer no longer presents itself as there's plenty of them in use around here, but mostly rentals. Considering that I spend most of my time at a desk working with a loader actually seems like a nice change of pace. It's also fun to get to run a machine other than the trusty M610. I wish the opportunity presented itself more often, but that's probably a thing of the past since I no longer know anyone in the business. Wierd huh?

sterlclan

I run equiptment for my "real" job and help several others run theirs as much as the wife will let me still enjoy the old relic too Jeff

skidsteer.ca

I run equiptment for my "real" job and help several others run theirs as much as the wife will let me still enjoy the old relic too Jeff
Not to much other skidsteers, my real job is running a log skidder, (along with being the welder and mechainc) but I also drive float truck and log truck some, as well as slash trees into 8' wood and load the log truck with a knuckle boom loader, have limited time in a excavator, front end loader (gravel), dozer , farm tractors.
I have quite a bit of time (700hrs) in my 93 753 before I sold it and b0ught a 773g, 2000
I rented a 751 a for 18 hours prior to owning my own skid. Very much a 753
I have since owned a 371 (sold), 553c and 853c and lastly a NH ls 160.
Hope to part with 2 units of the current fleet by spring. All of which I have used at least 20 hours. (773 g more like 300 in last 2 years)
Spent a hour in a 2000 jd 250, I helped a friend buy.
I would not say that any of them were poor in my estimation, (with my limited seet time)although the 371 showed its age, not worn out just old tech, clutch drive was not variable speed. The 853 loses some points for the servo steering controls that are not as user friendly and the jd for a motor with somewhat excessive vibration.
However skids as a whole I rate as easy to run, so long as you get the balace and short wheel base thing. what could be better then a variable speed drive and sitting right on top of you work.
Sometime I wish the cab was on the clam of the 200 serco wood loader, instead of me trying to place slippery, crooked wood within 2" from 20 to 30 feet away.
Its alway enjoyable to sit in a different machine.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Not to much other skidsteers, my real job is running a log skidder, (along with being the welder and mechainc) but I also drive float truck and log truck some, as well as slash trees into 8' wood and load the log truck with a knuckle boom loader, have limited time in a excavator, front end loader (gravel), dozer , farm tractors.
I have quite a bit of time (700hrs) in my 93 753 before I sold it and b0ught a 773g, 2000
I rented a 751 a for 18 hours prior to owning my own skid. Very much a 753
I have since owned a 371 (sold), 553c and 853c and lastly a NH ls 160.
Hope to part with 2 units of the current fleet by spring. All of which I have used at least 20 hours. (773 g more like 300 in last 2 years)
Spent a hour in a 2000 jd 250, I helped a friend buy.
I would not say that any of them were poor in my estimation, (with my limited seet time)although the 371 showed its age, not worn out just old tech, clutch drive was not variable speed. The 853 loses some points for the servo steering controls that are not as user friendly and the jd for a motor with somewhat excessive vibration.
However skids as a whole I rate as easy to run, so long as you get the balace and short wheel base thing. what could be better then a variable speed drive and sitting right on top of you work.
Sometime I wish the cab was on the clam of the 200 serco wood loader, instead of me trying to place slippery, crooked wood within 2" from 20 to 30 feet away.
Its alway enjoyable to sit in a different machine.
Ken
Well in *real life* i work for a patchwork fabric wholesale business, please don't ask me why, i honestly don't know why im still doing the same thing.
I too enjoy jumping in one of my trusty skid steers and doing some work. Its a good change from my daily job, it keeps me off the streets with all the time i spent re-building them.
I have owned 4 machines, 1 old 731 that i owned for 4 odd years that i did a fair bit of work to. It was my my first machine and it was awesome with what i did with it, it has since gone to a new home. The guy that bought it fell in love with it in less than 5 minutes.
My other 3 machines are 743's, one of which i sold last year too.
So that leaves me with 2 x 743's both are in great condition and i love driving them around.
I haven't had the pleasure of trying any other machines out other than a quick run in a 751. I think i'm kinda glad, i really don't want to fall in love with a nice new machine i can't afford one!.

frank123

Well in *real life* i work for a patchwork fabric wholesale business, please don't ask me why, i honestly don't know why im still doing the same thing.
I too enjoy jumping in one of my trusty skid steers and doing some work. Its a good change from my daily job, it keeps me off the streets with all the time i spent re-building them.
I have owned 4 machines, 1 old 731 that i owned for 4 odd years that i did a fair bit of work to. It was my my first machine and it was awesome with what i did with it, it has since gone to a new home. The guy that bought it fell in love with it in less than 5 minutes.
My other 3 machines are 743's, one of which i sold last year too.
So that leaves me with 2 x 743's both are in great condition and i love driving them around.
I haven't had the pleasure of trying any other machines out other than a quick run in a 751. I think i'm kinda glad, i really don't want to fall in love with a nice new machine i can't afford one!.
I've been fortunate enough to be able to run pretty much all the common machines over the years through my landscaping business and network of friends in the excavation/landscaping industry. I rented for the first couple of years on a job to job basis, getting time in on BC, Cat, Gehl, Deere, ASV, Case, etc.. I particularly enjoy taking the opportunity to swap machines for a while when doing a job with someone with a different color. To me that's the best way to compare. Get out of one and climb into another doing the same job. That's when you notice the subtle differences. I'm not quite 6'7", but at 6'6" I concur, a big guy can be squeezed into a RC30.

500K_773

I've been fortunate enough to be able to run pretty much all the common machines over the years through my landscaping business and network of friends in the excavation/landscaping industry. I rented for the first couple of years on a job to job basis, getting time in on BC, Cat, Gehl, Deere, ASV, Case, etc.. I particularly enjoy taking the opportunity to swap machines for a while when doing a job with someone with a different color. To me that's the best way to compare. Get out of one and climb into another doing the same job. That's when you notice the subtle differences. I'm not quite 6'7", but at 6'6" I concur, a big guy can be squeezed into a RC30.
You seem to get used to the controls and characteristics of your own machine, so sometimes running other machines seems "funny".
I do not like running my brother-in-laws 873 because his has foot controls and I am used to hand controls. I feel like a clumbsy oaf running his. Sure the power is great, but I'd rather just use my own machine.
I borrowed my friend's Cat 226 and could not get used to the controls. My productivity was slow, but would have get better with time. Man, watch out, I used the 2-speed function while still not used to driving with one stick and was pretty scary. I also tried using the foot throttle because I heard raves from everyone who uses one, but was once again uncoordinated.
Yes, I do like trying other machines, but like everything else change does take some getting used to. I know I need to spend some more time in a Cat or with Bobcat SJC (selectable joystick control) because my next machine will most likely have this style controls. Better to try it out first before spending the money.
Like others said also, cab comfort is not the same in all machines. I was surprised how small the Case cabs are. Cat is a little bigger, but I'm used to the roomy Bobcat cabs. Climate control access is strange in some machines also. Wish I could combined all the good features (that I like) into one machine, that would be awesome. Until then, I'll make do.

skidsteer.ca

You seem to get used to the controls and characteristics of your own machine, so sometimes running other machines seems "funny".
I do not like running my brother-in-laws 873 because his has foot controls and I am used to hand controls. I feel like a clumbsy oaf running his. Sure the power is great, but I'd rather just use my own machine.
I borrowed my friend's Cat 226 and could not get used to the controls. My productivity was slow, but would have get better with time. Man, watch out, I used the 2-speed function while still not used to driving with one stick and was pretty scary. I also tried using the foot throttle because I heard raves from everyone who uses one, but was once again uncoordinated.
Yes, I do like trying other machines, but like everything else change does take some getting used to. I know I need to spend some more time in a Cat or with Bobcat SJC (selectable joystick control) because my next machine will most likely have this style controls. Better to try it out first before spending the money.
Like others said also, cab comfort is not the same in all machines. I was surprised how small the Case cabs are. Cat is a little bigger, but I'm used to the roomy Bobcat cabs. Climate control access is strange in some machines also. Wish I could combined all the good features (that I like) into one machine, that would be awesome. Until then, I'll make do.
" Wish I could combined all the good features (that I like) into one machine, that would be awesome"
ain't it the truth. It's like they all sat down and agreed to leave themseves something to make better next year and the year after that, to infinity. Save a selling feature for next year.
Even though all my machines have the same foot controls, they still all feel different.
NH has a tighter cab (no room for a aux heater in that cab) compared to bobcat and has throttle on the LH (wrong) side, which took some adjusting
Ken

farmboy55

" Wish I could combined all the good features (that I like) into one machine, that would be awesome"
ain't it the truth. It's like they all sat down and agreed to leave themseves something to make better next year and the year after that, to infinity. Save a selling feature for next year.
Even though all my machines have the same foot controls, they still all feel different.
NH has a tighter cab (no room for a aux heater in that cab) compared to bobcat and has throttle on the LH (wrong) side, which took some adjusting
Ken
hey skidsteer.ca we have a cat 518 with a grapple coming monday. it will be nice to stay on the machine and not have to get off and hook up the choker's. little bro got this virgin peice of timber and i've been helping him in my off time. been useing a 650G dozer for the last 2 yrs for a skidder. dennis

skidsteer.ca

hey skidsteer.ca we have a cat 518 with a grapple coming monday. it will be nice to stay on the machine and not have to get off and hook up the choker's. little bro got this virgin peice of timber and i've been helping him in my off time. been useing a 650G dozer for the last 2 yrs for a skidder. dennis
That was my first real job after high school. running a 528 cat line skidder, my father bought 3 of them when we first started scarification contracting. They were nice to run and had great hydraulic and wheel power.
Grapple skidding will be quite a step up from skidding with a dozer. Are you falling by hand or do you have a buncher in there to?
Ken

OP
OP
M

m610

That was my first real job after high school. running a 528 cat line skidder, my father bought 3 of them when we first started scarification contracting. They were nice to run and had great hydraulic and wheel power.
Grapple skidding will be quite a step up from skidding with a dozer. Are you falling by hand or do you have a buncher in there to?
Ken
I wish I knew more guys with equipment, it's always interesting to give different machines a try, unfortunately there's just not enough of them around here. Imagine trying to collect all the different types of equipment, that would be impossible! Lately it's been my desire to try different types of skidloaders, but all the work is done by low paid workers in rental units, no one seems to own their own anymore.

farmboy55

I wish I knew more guys with equipment, it's always interesting to give different machines a try, unfortunately there's just not enough of them around here. Imagine trying to collect all the different types of equipment, that would be impossible! Lately it's been my desire to try different types of skidloaders, but all the work is done by low paid workers in rental units, no one seems to own their own anymore.
we are doing it the old way. 1 man and a saw. most of our buyer's pick up their logs. we hire everything else hauled. 3 yrs to get one done. no employee's. i help him when I'm not hauling powerstokes to the dealers or between bobcat jobs. dennis

dano

we are doing it the old way. 1 man and a saw. most of our buyer's pick up their logs. we hire everything else hauled. 3 yrs to get one done. no employee's. i help him when I'm not hauling powerstokes to the dealers or between bobcat jobs. dennis
We've got a 371 for the landscape company, and I can't imagine newer machines being a lot more cost effective than this little bugger. It starts at minus 30 celsius, fits anywhere we want it to be, will move anything with the right operator, and we haul it on a single axle trailer. At my winter job, they have a 2006 John Deere 317, a significantly larger machine. I can't imagine hauling that thing anywhere, and compared to the new Holland they used to have, it's a bit unstable and jerky. What year was your 371 Ken? Also, how tough is it to add remotes for attachments? Cheers, Dan

siduramaxde

We've got a 371 for the landscape company, and I can't imagine newer machines being a lot more cost effective than this little bugger. It starts at minus 30 celsius, fits anywhere we want it to be, will move anything with the right operator, and we haul it on a single axle trailer. At my winter job, they have a 2006 John Deere 317, a significantly larger machine. I can't imagine hauling that thing anywhere, and compared to the new Holland they used to have, it's a bit unstable and jerky. What year was your 371 Ken? Also, how tough is it to add remotes for attachments? Cheers, Dan
I have ran a 863, t200, t250, JD 270, and tekehuchi tl150 skidsteers
I have ran a Bobcat 331e excavator, JD 550h dozer (w/winch and sweeps), and numerous hours in a JD 540 grapple skidder.
The one machine that stands out the most was the TL150. I was amazed by the power and the comfort while operating. I also enjoy the JD 550h dozer for skidding logs in hilly conditions. The 550h didn't have lots of power but the machine is "intelligent" because it automatically adjusts speed to compensate for the load.

skidsteer.ca

Dano
I have no idea what year my 371 was they were all between 71 and 75 I believe, from historical specs on the former Bobcat.com site
Yes you can add remotes, its a matter of finding another spool section and adding it to the hydraulic valve that the lift and tilt spools are in. Just add a 3rd section to this valve and then plumb up the lines on the boom.
It would also be possible to add another "power beyond" hydraulic valve upstream from the factory valve, but in this case the attachment would get hyd power b4 the loader, ie while angling snow plow loader woul not lift or dump.
Most 371 never had this factory option that I've seen. Back then people were just happy to have a bucket and forks on a skidsteer. A local mechanic or hydraulic shop should be able to help you with this.
Ken

nailsbeats

Dano
I have no idea what year my 371 was they were all between 71 and 75 I believe, from historical specs on the former Bobcat.com site
Yes you can add remotes, its a matter of finding another spool section and adding it to the hydraulic valve that the lift and tilt spools are in. Just add a 3rd section to this valve and then plumb up the lines on the boom.
It would also be possible to add another "power beyond" hydraulic valve upstream from the factory valve, but in this case the attachment would get hyd power b4 the loader, ie while angling snow plow loader woul not lift or dump.
Most 371 never had this factory option that I've seen. Back then people were just happy to have a bucket and forks on a skidsteer. A local mechanic or hydraulic shop should be able to help you with this.
Ken
My Dad and Uncle were Operating Engineers so I ran my first piece of equipment and 8 years old. It was a Cat 980 front end loader. My Dad's main job was operating a double drum concrete plant so I would go to work with him and run a spare loader all day.
I discovered the skid steer when I was 13 working for a neighbor. It was an old gas Gehl. I could do anything with it, thats when I vowed to own one someday.
I ran other peoples machines pretty steady until I finally got my own at 24. Farmers would always bring them jobs we were doing and I would end up running them. I am now 26 and have about 500 hrs running mine and still run others.
About a year ago I was making wood for my old neighbor and got to run that old Gehl again. Piece of junk still runs like it did 13 years ago.