Tilt Cylinder Aluminum nut removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

TLSwank

That is a great use for the sink area. I'm not sure how long it might have taken me to come up with that idea. (I use a lot of brake clean in the 16 oz. spray cans!!)
I repacked both lift cylinders, had no luck getting one of the aluminum glands off. I took the cylinder to a Bobcat dealer, and they had a steel table, with a shaft welded onto the table. The guy put the clevis over that, and used the biggest channel locks I've ever seen. The threads on the aluminum gland were shot, so I bought a new one. IMPORTANT: Use small files, and clean up the buttress threads in the cylinder. Try working the gland on. I had to file a little clearance on the thread, and made SURE the thing would thread in all the way, before assembling the piston, etc. If you don't do that, if the thing gets stuck part way on, you'll tear it up, so beware. Now, no leaks, works fine.

mmsllc

I repacked both lift cylinders, had no luck getting one of the aluminum glands off. I took the cylinder to a Bobcat dealer, and they had a steel table, with a shaft welded onto the table. The guy put the clevis over that, and used the biggest channel locks I've ever seen. The threads on the aluminum gland were shot, so I bought a new one. IMPORTANT: Use small files, and clean up the buttress threads in the cylinder. Try working the gland on. I had to file a little clearance on the thread, and made SURE the thing would thread in all the way, before assembling the piston, etc. If you don't do that, if the thing gets stuck part way on, you'll tear it up, so beware. Now, no leaks, works fine.
Good job on getting the job done. It always feels so good to me when I do something like that. Cleaning up the threads is a serious must. Luckily the gland is aluminum & it cleans up fairly easily out of the steel cylinder thread portion.

7LBSSMALLIE

Good job on getting the job done. It always feels so good to me when I do something like that. Cleaning up the threads is a serious must. Luckily the gland is aluminum & it cleans up fairly easily out of the steel cylinder thread portion.
something should be stated about this. at what point do you quit.. for me its 1 hr in. than I look at price of gland versus cyl replacement. yea I know 6 7 hundred? it sucks but is what it is. often after gettining torn down you find it needed replaced anyway.

mmsllc

something should be stated about this. at what point do you quit.. for me its 1 hr in. than I look at price of gland versus cyl replacement. yea I know 6 7 hundred? it sucks but is what it is. often after gettining torn down you find it needed replaced anyway.
I just like when they come apart very easily. It makes it seem like it was meant to be an easy job. I re-packed a boom cylinder on a 323 & on a 753 and they were simple easy. However, I struggled with that same 753 tilt cylinder. That gland would bare come out. It was destroyed when it finally came apart. But, we replaced the gland, all of the seals & everything was just a simple re-assembly process. I am glad that I kept with tearing that cylinder apart, it proved to be a nice "win" in the end.

Tazza

Staff member
I just like when they come apart very easily. It makes it seem like it was meant to be an easy job. I re-packed a boom cylinder on a 323 & on a 753 and they were simple easy. However, I struggled with that same 753 tilt cylinder. That gland would bare come out. It was destroyed when it finally came apart. But, we replaced the gland, all of the seals & everything was just a simple re-assembly process. I am glad that I kept with tearing that cylinder apart, it proved to be a nice "win" in the end.
$6-700? over here, they want $1,800 plus taxes, so $1,980. It was worth the time to beat the snot out of the stuck gland i worked on. It took me 2-3 hours, that included the futile attempts to get it out, followed by drilling a bunch of holes to collapse the threads.

mmsllc

$6-700? over here, they want $1,800 plus taxes, so $1,980. It was worth the time to beat the snot out of the stuck gland i worked on. It took me 2-3 hours, that included the futile attempts to get it out, followed by drilling a bunch of holes to collapse the threads.
That is what it takes not to lose. It has been summarized like this, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again!!"