This 863 is a lemon

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Mick Harley

My 2003 863 has given me problems since the day I took delivery of it brand new, When I ordered it I was never informend that this model was going to be discontinued in 2004. Is there anyone here that has had problems with this model?? The dealer has never given me support from day one. The Air conditoner has never worked properly but that is beside the point. It now has 1,100 hours on it. My latest problem, Yesterday the general warning light (#17) and beeper came on and the machine stopped!! All fluids are full, It has fuel and turns over but will not start. If I didnt pay cash for this machine and there was insurance on it I would torch it!! Help Please. Mick

skidboy

Iv'e never seen bobcat make a lemon.But i have seen problems that haven't been fixed by a dealer.863 machines have been an extremely reliable and i dont know of any inherent probs.With your current prob. what code is coming up ? and has yours got a deutz or kubota ?

skidsteer.ca

Iv'e never seen bobcat make a lemon.But i have seen problems that haven't been fixed by a dealer.863 machines have been an extremely reliable and i dont know of any inherent probs.With your current prob. what code is coming up ? and has yours got a deutz or kubota ?
I don't know what all problems you have had to bring you to that conclusion, but one defective sensor that tells the computer that the machine is , too hot,(either hyd oil or engine water,)coolant too low, engine rpm too high, air filter too restricted, charge press too low or too much difference in pressure across the hyd filter, can all shut you down, As can a genuine problem with any of these.
I have seen more problems with the sensors then with the actual machine in my experience. You need to record what specific code (s) come up and work from there.
Ken

OP
OP
M

Mick Harley

I don't know what all problems you have had to bring you to that conclusion, but one defective sensor that tells the computer that the machine is , too hot,(either hyd oil or engine water,)coolant too low, engine rpm too high, air filter too restricted, charge press too low or too much difference in pressure across the hyd filter, can all shut you down, As can a genuine problem with any of these.
I have seen more problems with the sensors then with the actual machine in my experience. You need to record what specific code (s) come up and work from there.
Ken
It has a air cooled Duetz motor, As for the codes it was the general warning light #17 on the right side instrument panel above the key switch. I am not sure how to get codes to display in the hour meter location. Thank-You Mick

OP
OP
M

Mick Harley

It has a air cooled Duetz motor, As for the codes it was the general warning light #17 on the right side instrument panel above the key switch. I am not sure how to get codes to display in the hour meter location. Thank-You Mick
Well I just read the owners manuel & checked the codes, It came up 14-03. The manuel says that it is a "Fuel shut-off solenoid primary error OFF".

hvyduty

Well I just read the owners manuel & checked the codes, It came up 14-03. The manuel says that it is a "Fuel shut-off solenoid primary error OFF".
Switch the Fuel Pull relay with another relay. Does the code clear? Replace Fuel Pull relay. Go to Step 2. 2 Check wire 8110 for continuity and a short to ground. Does wire 8110 check out OK? Go to Step 3. Repair or replace Mainframe harness. 3 Check supply wire 1350 to ground wire 2040. Is there 12.0 volts present? Go to Step 4. Repair or replace Mainframe harness. 4 Check signal wire 8150 for continuity. Does wire 8150 have continuity? No problem found. Perform wiggle test. Repair or replace Mainframe harness.

hvyduty

Switch the Fuel Pull relay with another relay. Does the code clear? Replace Fuel Pull relay. Go to Step 2. 2 Check wire 8110 for continuity and a short to ground. Does wire 8110 check out OK? Go to Step 3. Repair or replace Mainframe harness. 3 Check supply wire 1350 to ground wire 2040. Is there 12.0 volts present? Go to Step 4. Repair or replace Mainframe harness. 4 Check signal wire 8150 for continuity. Does wire 8150 have continuity? No problem found. Perform wiggle test. Repair or replace Mainframe harness.
sorry the format changed on the last one making it hard to read.this is the basics behind the code. A Code 14-03 occurs when the Bobcat Controller does not detect a voltage on the feedback wire 8150 from the Fuel Shutoff relay when commanded. The Fuel Shutoff solenoid is energized by a pull and a hold circuit. The pull coil, wire 8100, will be energized with a high current from the Fuel Pull relay when the Bobcat Controller detects that the engine start has been activated. Possible cause: Fuel Shutoff relay. Fuel Shutoff solenoid. Fuse 6. Ground wire 2040. Wire 1310 to the mega fuse. Wire 8100 shorted to ground. Wire 8110 or 8150 shorted to ground or open. Bobcat Controller. Moisture, corrosion, or pushed back pins in the Mainframe harness. If the code is intermittent and not on at the time of testing, the cause of the code may not be found at this time. Probable causes may include: loose connections, corrosion, pushed back pins, the controller, the wire harness or a combination of these problems I got all this info when a 863 i was working on was playing up it ended up being the solinoid.

OP
OP
M

Mick Harley

sorry the format changed on the last one making it hard to read.this is the basics behind the code. A Code 14-03 occurs when the Bobcat Controller does not detect a voltage on the feedback wire 8150 from the Fuel Shutoff relay when commanded. The Fuel Shutoff solenoid is energized by a pull and a hold circuit. The pull coil, wire 8100, will be energized with a high current from the Fuel Pull relay when the Bobcat Controller detects that the engine start has been activated. Possible cause: Fuel Shutoff relay. Fuel Shutoff solenoid. Fuse 6. Ground wire 2040. Wire 1310 to the mega fuse. Wire 8100 shorted to ground. Wire 8110 or 8150 shorted to ground or open. Bobcat Controller. Moisture, corrosion, or pushed back pins in the Mainframe harness. If the code is intermittent and not on at the time of testing, the cause of the code may not be found at this time. Probable causes may include: loose connections, corrosion, pushed back pins, the controller, the wire harness or a combination of these problems I got all this info when a 863 i was working on was playing up it ended up being the solinoid.
Thank-you,I will try these things later on this morning & see if I can get it going.Thanks again for the help. Mick

OP
OP
M

Mick Harley

Thank-you,I will try these things later on this morning & see if I can get it going.Thanks again for the help. Mick
Hello, All you Cats have been great with your help over the years,Up until today except for a solinoid that connected to the pump,Which in my opinion should have been a warranty issue due to Bobcat knew about for quiet awhile ($400.00 later).Anyway, Today just like any other day she started right up and ran perfect.I was moving Boulders and it just "Shut Off" It turns over fine,Has fuel and have checked all fuses. All the pre start componets work on the panel.I ran the code procedure 4-5 times and it always comes up none.So thats not telling me much.The Bobcat Dealer in Southern New Jersey has been no good at all over the years for service.Any ideas or which direction I should start looking in?? Thanks in advance for your help. Mick

siduramaxde

Hello, All you Cats have been great with your help over the years,Up until today except for a solinoid that connected to the pump,Which in my opinion should have been a warranty issue due to Bobcat knew about for quiet awhile ($400.00 later).Anyway, Today just like any other day she started right up and ran perfect.I was moving Boulders and it just "Shut Off" It turns over fine,Has fuel and have checked all fuses. All the pre start componets work on the panel.I ran the code procedure 4-5 times and it always comes up none.So thats not telling me much.The Bobcat Dealer in Southern New Jersey has been no good at all over the years for service.Any ideas or which direction I should start looking in?? Thanks in advance for your help. Mick
Broken timing belt would be my guess. If the timing belt broke the motor probably bent all the push rods. Do some searching on here and you will find all sorts of info in the timing belt. I believe someone in the Gehl forum replaced his own timing belt but it requires special tools. I had the dealer change mine after it broke and I think it cost me about $1000 to replace the belt and the bent push rods. After the timing belt broke on my T200 (same motor as your 863) I had to push it on to a trailer and the tracks would not budge.

Tazza

Staff member
Broken timing belt would be my guess. If the timing belt broke the motor probably bent all the push rods. Do some searching on here and you will find all sorts of info in the timing belt. I believe someone in the Gehl forum replaced his own timing belt but it requires special tools. I had the dealer change mine after it broke and I think it cost me about $1000 to replace the belt and the bent push rods. After the timing belt broke on my T200 (same motor as your 863) I had to push it on to a trailer and the tracks would not budge.
That was my thought too, posted to his other thread though....