TB SCREW UP!!!!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

raffyo

i got new lift rods for my 864 bobcat because they all bent to timming belt failure when i install all of the rods and crank the engine manualyit goes fine until i hit the valve on the left side of the cylynder theres a loud metal snap sound and it only happend on the left side of the cylynders if i install the righ side it works fine but as soon the left side goes on it happens again the timming belt is still on it just skipped a tooth didnt break. could the timming belt that is still on there make that happen if the timming off Thanks

sterlclan

yup if the belt is out of time it could bend valves or push rods Id start with a new belt and go from there .....Jeff

OP
OP
R

raffyo

yup if the belt is out of time it could bend valves or push rods Id start with a new belt and go from there .....Jeff
Thanks for the reply but would the timming belt still on the bobcat cause the valves to work improperly if i take the old belt of and keep it off will the valves work correct

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply but would the timming belt still on the bobcat cause the valves to work improperly if i take the old belt of and keep it off will the valves work correct
You must have jumped a tooth or 2 on the timing belt. The problem is did it jump at the crank or head, then if our injection timing still correct? You really need info on setting TDC then you can't go wrong. When you turn the engine over, you should do it by hand with a bar and if it feels tight its not rite. Remove an injector or glow plug so you don't have any compression and you know its free spinning rather than fighting compression. The Peugeot i need to work on simply uses 3 pins. When in place wrap the belt around and presto! timing is set.
Personally i'd talk to your dealer or where your got your push rods from and ask about setting the timing. Make sure your injector timing is rite too. They may have an easy way to do it, or even loan or hire the tool to you for the day.
Take your time and i'm sure it will be up and running in no time!

siduramaxde

You must have jumped a tooth or 2 on the timing belt. The problem is did it jump at the crank or head, then if our injection timing still correct? You really need info on setting TDC then you can't go wrong. When you turn the engine over, you should do it by hand with a bar and if it feels tight its not rite. Remove an injector or glow plug so you don't have any compression and you know its free spinning rather than fighting compression. The Peugeot i need to work on simply uses 3 pins. When in place wrap the belt around and presto! timing is set.
Personally i'd talk to your dealer or where your got your push rods from and ask about setting the timing. Make sure your injector timing is rite too. They may have an easy way to do it, or even loan or hire the tool to you for the day.
Take your time and i'm sure it will be up and running in no time!
You have to retime the motor and replace the timming belt!!!!! The duetz motor requires a pin (or 2) to be installed in the engine block to set the timming. I know that there is also a tamper resistant screw holding the timming belt cover on, too. The belt has to be tensioned with a special tool, also. Take it to your dealer and save yourself some grief. Your belt may be intact but may be MISSING teeth. Do the belt and push rods at the same time!!