t300 drive motor squeal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Smokin S

I have a t300 and the drive motors work fine but the right side has a squeal. Could this be the bearing i have seen them talkin about it other threads?

Tazza

Staff member
I assume they run carrier oil, i'd start by changing it ASAP and looking for any metal particles that are a sign that bearing failure is close.

siduramaxde

I assume they run carrier oil, i'd start by changing it ASAP and looking for any metal particles that are a sign that bearing failure is close.
Not only would I change the outer hub bearing oil but I would also check the case drain filters. If the oil coming out of the hub bearing is dirty then you probably have bearing failure. The sooner you address this problem the better chance you have of saving some $$$$$. When changing the hub bearing oil shine a flashlight on the oil as it runs out. By doing this you will be able to see any small metal flakes in the oil. When my hub bearing was going out the oil looked almost like black/gray metalic paint. The metal flakes were very fine.

thetool

It also could be your brake. Stacked friction discs, spring applied, pressure released. A blown brake piston seal will not release and the motor will drive through the brake and squeal.
Heat will potato-chip all the discs, and they are sold individually. The cost to rebuild the motor with a new seal kit, all the brake discs that make up the stack, and labor equals----you guessed it, more than a new motor......=(.

Ersok

It also could be your brake. Stacked friction discs, spring applied, pressure released. A blown brake piston seal will not release and the motor will drive through the brake and squeal.
Heat will potato-chip all the discs, and they are sold individually. The cost to rebuild the motor with a new seal kit, all the brake discs that make up the stack, and labor equals----you guessed it, more than a new motor......=(.
Brake locking down is a good bet as thetool said, the most common reason for this is the case drain filter plugged causing back pressure on the system locking the brake. I have blown motors apart due to this, it will start with the brake squeal and feel like the drive is binding then boom! it will warp the brake cover snap bolts and ruin everything. changing the case drain filter is cheap insurance.

OP
OP
S

Smokin S

Brake locking down is a good bet as thetool said, the most common reason for this is the case drain filter plugged causing back pressure on the system locking the brake. I have blown motors apart due to this, it will start with the brake squeal and feel like the drive is binding then boom! it will warp the brake cover snap bolts and ruin everything. changing the case drain filter is cheap insurance.
so i have not hurt the drive motor yet? Check the case drain filter and the brake? Like i said the drive works fine, machine is currently setting and using my other machine till i can tear into it.

thetool

so i have not hurt the drive motor yet? Check the case drain filter and the brake? Like i said the drive works fine, machine is currently setting and using my other machine till i can tear into it.
Yeah-I just did a brake last week and took some photos and I can post them if you're going to do the job.

OP
OP
S

Smokin S

Yeah-I just did a brake last week and took some photos and I can post them if you're going to do the job.
Ya that would be great. how much money did you have in parts and how much time did it take you. Where did you get the parts from.

thetool

Ya that would be great. how much money did you have in parts and how much time did it take you. Where did you get the parts from.
The biggest part for me is removing the track. The inner brake seal is $80-something from Bobcat. The reason I took it down was a leak between the motor and brake housing, not a brake malfunction, but the procedure is the same. I'll get it together and post it in a bit, on a new thread.

OP
OP
S

Smokin S

The biggest part for me is removing the track. The inner brake seal is $80-something from Bobcat. The reason I took it down was a leak between the motor and brake housing, not a brake malfunction, but the procedure is the same. I'll get it together and post it in a bit, on a new thread.
Tool- did you post the info yet? I did't know if i missed it or you have been busy and not had time. Not rushing you just checking on it.

thetool

Tool- did you post the info yet? I did't know if i missed it or you have been busy and not had time. Not rushing you just checking on it.
No-sorry. I got tied up trying to make a buck or two....=)
I should have it on today.