stuck frozen pins. boom removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

7LBSSMALLIE

just spent the better part of the day. on three pins. beat one ,cut one. last one 10.000 lbs sittining on now as it cools it pops 1/16. progress yes , but there has to be abetter way. GOOGLED IT. A. oxy lance. .b.nye sure shot C. baz0oka WHICH LOOKS PRETTY COOL. or cat slide sledge. (which probally aint gonna work. now keep in mind I been doining this for a while. when I say pin is stuck pin is stuck. my trick bag be MT. so anyone tried any of these or there other options. (note one boss is just to deep to just gouge out with torch.) I have considered reaching out to my coal miner friends but but there all on the couch outta work? so dynamite not an option

mmsllc

Heat will generally do it as it breaks up old grease, paint & rust. Might be worth trying to push on the pins with a pot-a-power once held in place. Or cut all pins, removed the arms, then, torch the centers of the pins until it is mainly washed away. Let them cool completely & once cold the remaining part of the pins should be able to be tapped out with a hammer.

Tazza

Staff member
Heat will generally do it as it breaks up old grease, paint & rust. Might be worth trying to push on the pins with a pot-a-power once held in place. Or cut all pins, removed the arms, then, torch the centers of the pins until it is mainly washed away. Let them cool completely & once cold the remaining part of the pins should be able to be tapped out with a hammer.
I had a hell of a time getting pins out of an onl 4 in 1 bucket. I was lucky enough to be able to cut one out with a hack saw, i then used heat and an air chisel to knock the two poeces out. The other i think i had success with a pull hydraulic ram. I welded a stub to it, pumped up the ram and heated the bosses. It took some effort, but i got there.
I tried a big hammer to move it, all that did was bend it.......

mmsllc

I had a hell of a time getting pins out of an onl 4 in 1 bucket. I was lucky enough to be able to cut one out with a hack saw, i then used heat and an air chisel to knock the two poeces out. The other i think i had success with a pull hydraulic ram. I welded a stub to it, pumped up the ram and heated the bosses. It took some effort, but i got there.
I tried a big hammer to move it, all that did was bend it.......
Depending on which pin it is, you can remove the rest of the boom, then lay the boom down. You can weld a small bracket to it the boom (but not the thin metal sides of the boom) will hold a bottle jack in place. Below the bottle jack, add a thick section of round stock steel. The idea is that you will have a "press" that is able to exert a massive amount of pressure to that pin. As the pin starts to move, use longer pieces of round stock to press it further & further out of the bore. Use some heat on the sides of the bore (not the pin) & start cranking down on it. It will not be a fast process, but should be a cheap option, without damaging anything else. It really is what I would do to get it out. If I knew how to add pictures here, I would share a few with you.

Tazza

Staff member
Depending on which pin it is, you can remove the rest of the boom, then lay the boom down. You can weld a small bracket to it the boom (but not the thin metal sides of the boom) will hold a bottle jack in place. Below the bottle jack, add a thick section of round stock steel. The idea is that you will have a "press" that is able to exert a massive amount of pressure to that pin. As the pin starts to move, use longer pieces of round stock to press it further & further out of the bore. Use some heat on the sides of the bore (not the pin) & start cranking down on it. It will not be a fast process, but should be a cheap option, without damaging anything else. It really is what I would do to get it out. If I knew how to add pictures here, I would share a few with you.
That would work if you can get the frame to have a good hold on the machine.
Another member made a jog like this with a porta power cylinder i believe. I had plans of making a big one powered by the aux hydraulics to give me quite a lot of force, a job i never did finish.

OP
OP

7LBSSMALLIE

That would work if you can get the frame to have a good hold on the machine.
Another member made a jog like this with a porta power cylinder i believe. I had plans of making a big one powered by the aux hydraulics to give me quite a lot of force, a job i never did finish.
had the welder dude come out. he had the shure shot. basicalily a three foot piece of of 3/16 mangisum rolled up about three times 1/2 dia total, 80 lbs of 02. and a car batt. pushed a hole thru pin like straw into a milkshake. (FOURTH O JULY TYPE STUFF) but he blew a hole thru this pin in about 45 seconds knocked out the slag smacked it a time or two and pin was out. coolest thing ive ever seen. yea ill have one soon. might trade my twenty lbs sledge. guys check out the youtube vid on this. seining is believing

Tazza

Staff member
had the welder dude come out. he had the shure shot. basicalily a three foot piece of of 3/16 mangisum rolled up about three times 1/2 dia total, 80 lbs of 02. and a car batt. pushed a hole thru pin like straw into a milkshake. (FOURTH O JULY TYPE STUFF) but he blew a hole thru this pin in about 45 seconds knocked out the slag smacked it a time or two and pin was out. coolest thing ive ever seen. yea ill have one soon. might trade my twenty lbs sledge. guys check out the youtube vid on this. seining is believing
I think it's time to look on youtube for this! I have seem stuff like that in movies when they gut into a safe, i assume it's the same sort of thing. Thermionic lance? or something like that.

mmsllc

I think it's time to look on youtube for this! I have seem stuff like that in movies when they gut into a safe, i assume it's the same sort of thing. Thermionic lance? or something like that.
I've heard of something when removing broken bolts inside of steel. They apparently make a type of welding rod that will only weld to the broken bolts, but not the threads. Then you allow it to cool, then simply unthread the remaining piece of the bolt. I have no idea of what that type of welding rod is called, though.

Tazza

Staff member
I've heard of something when removing broken bolts inside of steel. They apparently make a type of welding rod that will only weld to the broken bolts, but not the threads. Then you allow it to cool, then simply unthread the remaining piece of the bolt. I have no idea of what that type of welding rod is called, though.
Sounds interesting, wonder how well it will work.
For a bolt or tap to break off, it has to be tight, so it would take a good weld to hold well enough to get it out.
There is always a way, it just depends on how long it takes to do.

mmsllc

Sounds interesting, wonder how well it will work.
For a bolt or tap to break off, it has to be tight, so it would take a good weld to hold well enough to get it out.
There is always a way, it just depends on how long it takes to do.
I know it sounded like BS story, but it is really a real thing. I know that guy works at the local CAT dealer & he swears by them. There has also been a huge development in aluminum welding rods that are supposed to be exactly like welding steel together. They were expensive though, but were the cat's @$$! Both of these welding rods are cutting edge technology from about 8 years ago. I will try to look up more about the rod / electrode number & manufacturer. They are money & time savers, though.

mmsllc

I know it sounded like BS story, but it is really a real thing. I know that guy works at the local CAT dealer & he swears by them. There has also been a huge development in aluminum welding rods that are supposed to be exactly like welding steel together. They were expensive though, but were the cat's @$$! Both of these welding rods are cutting edge technology from about 8 years ago. I will try to look up more about the rod / electrode number & manufacturer. They are money & time savers, though.
"cronatron 333" seems to be what it is called. try to google it.

Tazza

Staff member
here is a good youtube video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4zohssWS7I
Interesting, yet it all relies on you holding the rod in the moddle and not hit the threads.
I liked the bit about taps etc being brittle as the guy bashes on the side to get it to break :) That would do it i guess

Latest posts