Strange oil dip stick?...853

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

This is weird, if I pull the dip stick first thing in the morning it's clean (no oil), then stick it back in and pull out it shows full oil level?. What gives...

OldMachinist

It just means your dipstick has a good seal. The tube has a little pressure built up in it and when you pull it out you relieve the pressure and the oil flows into the tube.

OP
OP
P

perry

It just means your dipstick has a good seal. The tube has a little pressure built up in it and when you pull it out you relieve the pressure and the oil flows into the tube.
I find that hard to believe, it didn't even have a little residue. The only time I've seen a clean dip stick is when the oil pan was empty...

TriHonu

I find that hard to believe, it didn't even have a little residue. The only time I've seen a clean dip stick is when the oil pan was empty...
The dipstick tube on my Kubota (763) only presses into the block about an inch. The tube does not extend into the crankcase.
I don't recall if the tube extends in to the crankcase on your Isuzu. It was back in October when I gave my brother a hand while he rebuilt an Isuzu out of a 853.
It would take a lot of oil pooling in the top of the engine to have your sump level below the stick. Is there a chance the breather is totally plugged and creating a vacuum that is holding the oil in the upper part of the engine?
I am trying to think what could be happening by pulling the stick other than to let air in to the engine. What could this pressure change cause inside the engine to let the oil return to the crankcase?
Next time before you pull the stick, open the oil fill cap and let some air in the engine. Then pull the dip stick and see if the oil registers correctly.

TriHonu

The dipstick tube on my Kubota (763) only presses into the block about an inch. The tube does not extend into the crankcase.
I don't recall if the tube extends in to the crankcase on your Isuzu. It was back in October when I gave my brother a hand while he rebuilt an Isuzu out of a 853.
It would take a lot of oil pooling in the top of the engine to have your sump level below the stick. Is there a chance the breather is totally plugged and creating a vacuum that is holding the oil in the upper part of the engine?
I am trying to think what could be happening by pulling the stick other than to let air in to the engine. What could this pressure change cause inside the engine to let the oil return to the crankcase?
Next time before you pull the stick, open the oil fill cap and let some air in the engine. Then pull the dip stick and see if the oil registers correctly.
Another thought,
Look closely at the dipstick before you pull it out. Is it fully seated or did it work itself partially out while you were using it? Vibration and or blow-by may be pushing it part way out.

OldMachinist

Another thought,
Look closely at the dipstick before you pull it out. Is it fully seated or did it work itself partially out while you were using it? Vibration and or blow-by may be pushing it part way out.
The reason for my answer above is that my 453's hydraulic oil dip stick does this. When I pull the dip stick I can see the oil flowing up in the tube and leveling out.

skidsteer.ca

The reason for my answer above is that my 453's hydraulic oil dip stick does this. When I pull the dip stick I can see the oil flowing up in the tube and leveling out.
Old Machinnist is right.
The dipstick is in a tube coming off the oil pan, when the motor runs air gets thrown into the tube and the seal on the dipstick prevents the air from escapin out the top. Therefore the oil can not enter the bottom of the tube and the dipstick reading is inaccurate.
This is common on any engine with the dipstick in a tube or pipe off the side of the oil pan, my 853 and 553 always do the same thing. Pull the stick, give it a few seconds and check the level.
Ken

Fishfiles

I seen what your talking about 100's of times , you need to check some of the 8 series engine oil sticks twice as the first pull doesn't show oil , I would say it's a pretty common occurance on some machines other than just bobcats 8 series , must be something to do with the hot oil cooling down , cause I seem to think it only happens after the machine has been stting for a while

OP
OP
P

perry

I seen what your talking about 100's of times , you need to check some of the 8 series engine oil sticks twice as the first pull doesn't show oil , I would say it's a pretty common occurance on some machines other than just bobcats 8 series , must be something to do with the hot oil cooling down , cause I seem to think it only happens after the machine has been stting for a while
Ah Ha!, mystery solved, Thanks guys...