steering problem

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

simonliew

I have 198? Bobcat 843, the right side wheels won't turn, but the left side works okay. The bucket works fine. When I pushed the right hand lever, it made a groanning noise. What could be the problem?

Tazza

Staff member
What was it doing before it refused to move? if it growls at you, it sounds like the motor is stuck, you may have broken a chain, or a gear on the gearbox. I would try removing the motor from the gearbox (just the 4 or so around the motor its self, NOT the gear box). Leave all the hoses connected, you just want to check that the motor spins or not. Let it hang down or block it up and run the machine and see if it turns.
I was thinking filters but then i remembered these run a double pump, so if one side works its still getting enough oil.
Let us know how you go.

OP
OP
S

simonliew

What was it doing before it refused to move? if it growls at you, it sounds like the motor is stuck, you may have broken a chain, or a gear on the gearbox. I would try removing the motor from the gearbox (just the 4 or so around the motor its self, NOT the gear box). Leave all the hoses connected, you just want to check that the motor spins or not. Let it hang down or block it up and run the machine and see if it turns.
I was thinking filters but then i remembered these run a double pump, so if one side works its still getting enough oil.
Let us know how you go.
HiTazza, l am new to Bobcat,the groaning noise was progressively louder few times l used it before the right side wheels refused to turn,l use the bobcat about 2 hours a week to move dirt and big heavy rocks,building a garage and and mini rockcrawler track. it runs a double pump,does this machine has the brass/bronze filter?? it will take a few days to remove the motor. Thanks Simon

Tazza

Staff member
HiTazza, l am new to Bobcat,the groaning noise was progressively louder few times l used it before the right side wheels refused to turn,l use the bobcat about 2 hours a week to move dirt and big heavy rocks,building a garage and and mini rockcrawler track. it runs a double pump,does this machine has the brass/bronze filter?? it will take a few days to remove the motor. Thanks Simon
I'm really not sure if it has a bronze filter or not.....
You shouldn't need to pull the motor to get access, just lift the cab. Unfortunatly most of my knowledge is around the 743/731 machines...... But most of the basics are the same from machine to machine.
I'm sure someone here will know about the filter(s).

anitel

I'm really not sure if it has a bronze filter or not.....
You shouldn't need to pull the motor to get access, just lift the cab. Unfortunatly most of my knowledge is around the 743/731 machines...... But most of the basics are the same from machine to machine.
I'm sure someone here will know about the filter(s).
Do yourself a favor and buy the service manual from a dealership near you. It's the best ~$60 you will spend on the machine. Another thing you might try to removing the chain case access plate that is directly between your feet and running under the front edge of the seat. You should see lots of oil in there and if you drain / suck that out you can inspect the drive chains for damage. If the drive chains look good then I would agree that it is probable the drive motor on that side. Just pull it out and rebuild it or have it rebuilt by a local hydraulic repair shop. I think the dealer has a rebuild kit available for those motors. One more thing to check is that the steering valve and linkage is moving correctly. Just lift up the cab and watch the arm move at the top of the pump and check that it isn't worn so much that it's not engaging the pump valve. I have seen this problem on a 753 but it didn't make a noise like you mentioned so this probably isn't the issue. Good Luck! Thomas

Latest posts