Starting an 1845C that has not been run in over a year

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Scavenger

Hi, My brother in-law wants me to take my trailer and go up North with him on 05-24-08 so he can look at, and probably purchase a Case 1845C that is the same year of manufacture as mine (1992). This unit has about 6800 hours on it, and has not been run in just over a year. I guess he can get a really good buy on it, but the present owner told him the battery is dead. Besides the battery being dead, I am thinking there may be some fuel issues that we should be prepared to deal with. The owner stated that it has about 1/2 tank of diesel in it that was treated with some power service additive before he parked it. Before he buys it my brother in-law wants to get it running to see what problems it may or may not have. The owner is elderly and will not be going to the storage site with us, he will just give us the key and is ok with us doing whatever is needed to get it up and running. Beside a good battery, can someone tell me what all we might have to do to prepare this thing for start up. Do we need to change the fuel filter, drain the fuel, change the oil, coolant???. I can not find anything in my owners manual covering a unit that has not been run for an extended period. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.....................thanks, Pat.

Tazza

Staff member
If it was me, i'd just make sure the fuel system was primed. New battery and see how it goes.
With modern diesel you don't get the algae you used to get, i see no reason that the filter would need changing. I have never had a problem with cold, so i don't know how diesel acts, i have heard it gels up but i don't know if it returns to normal when it warms up.

OP
OP
S

Scavenger

If it was me, i'd just make sure the fuel system was primed. New battery and see how it goes.
With modern diesel you don't get the algae you used to get, i see no reason that the filter would need changing. I have never had a problem with cold, so i don't know how diesel acts, i have heard it gels up but i don't know if it returns to normal when it warms up.
Thanks for the response, Other than turning the key to the on position and waiting a few seconds, how would a person go about making sure the fuel system was primed....thanks, Pat

goose

Thanks for the response, Other than turning the key to the on position and waiting a few seconds, how would a person go about making sure the fuel system was primed....thanks, Pat
As far as bleeding the fuel system all you might check is to make sure the filters are primed before trying to start the machine. Right above the fuel filters on a banjo fitting that screws into the head that has a fuel line to it that goes to the injection pump. It has a bleed screw screwed into it that takes a 10mm wrench. Turn out the bleeder a couple of turns and pump the lever on the lift pump till you get fuel out of the bleeder. You may have to bump the engine over if you dont feel the pump pumping to get the lobe on the camshaft in the right position to let the hand pump work. You mmight also take some ether or soak a rag in gas and hold over the filter intake while cranking to conserve your battery. As far as the machine being a 1982 model Case did not start making the 1845C until late 1985 so it cant be an 82 model. If it is an 82 it will be and 1845B and the the bleed screw is in the top fuel filter and the hand pump in mounted on the frame instead of the engine.

OP
OP
S

Scavenger

As far as bleeding the fuel system all you might check is to make sure the filters are primed before trying to start the machine. Right above the fuel filters on a banjo fitting that screws into the head that has a fuel line to it that goes to the injection pump. It has a bleed screw screwed into it that takes a 10mm wrench. Turn out the bleeder a couple of turns and pump the lever on the lift pump till you get fuel out of the bleeder. You may have to bump the engine over if you dont feel the pump pumping to get the lobe on the camshaft in the right position to let the hand pump work. You mmight also take some ether or soak a rag in gas and hold over the filter intake while cranking to conserve your battery. As far as the machine being a 1982 model Case did not start making the 1845C until late 1985 so it cant be an 82 model. If it is an 82 it will be and 1845B and the the bleed screw is in the top fuel filter and the hand pump in mounted on the frame instead of the engine.
Goose, Thank you for the reply. My mistake ....I should have stated 1992........not 1982. I will have to see if I can edit that. Would it be a good idea to change the filter before we start since we will probably have to prime it anyways, or just leave it alone and not drain the system completely complicating matters. My thinking is leave it as is so the old filter catches all the crud...if there is any, then install a new one if he buys it. I told him I would ask because he wants to have everything we need because we will be about 20 miles from anyplace where we can purchase anything if needed..............thanks, Pat.

OP
OP
S

Scavenger

Goose, Thank you for the reply. My mistake ....I should have stated 1992........not 1982. I will have to see if I can edit that. Would it be a good idea to change the filter before we start since we will probably have to prime it anyways, or just leave it alone and not drain the system completely complicating matters. My thinking is leave it as is so the old filter catches all the crud...if there is any, then install a new one if he buys it. I told him I would ask because he wants to have everything we need because we will be about 20 miles from anyplace where we can purchase anything if needed..............thanks, Pat.
No luck on editing so far. I will keep looking to see if I can change the 1982 to 1992......................thanks.

Tazza

Staff member
No luck on editing so far. I will keep looking to see if I can change the 1982 to 1992......................thanks.
Changed
The only reason i wouldn't have changed the filter straight off is if you don't buy it it hasn't cost you a filter, not that they are expensive though.

goose

You wouldnt need to change the filter unless it is plugged and keeps you from getting it started or keeps it from running up to par. You might drain the water out of the drain or pull the filter and drain a little out and top it off with power service. Let me know how it turns out.