1845c not charging?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

JJP

Hello
I have a 1845c that is not charging the battery??. When i remove the pos wire from the battery it stops running. also i think a wire is off the alternator but don't know what the connections looks like on the alternator.
Thanks for any help

brdgbldr

I'm not familiar with your machine, but most any vehicle will keep running if you remove the battery. So I do believe that your alternator is not hooked up to the positive of the battery.

You can check the voltage at the battery with the machine running. If it is around 12 volts, no alternator. If it is around 14 volts the alternator is fine.

OP
OP
J

JJP

I'm not familiar with your machine, but most any vehicle will keep running if you remove the battery. So I do believe that your alternator is not hooked up to the positive of the battery.

You can check the voltage at the battery with the machine running. If it is around 12 volts, no alternator. If it is around 14 volts the alternator is fine.
Thanks I know the wire is from alt to statrer and to the fuse block There is a smaler wire not hooked up I will check voltage

cdmccul

Post a picture of the back of the alternator if things still didn't work.

Good luck!

OP
OP
J

JJP

Post a picture of the back of the alternator if things still didn't work.

Good luck!
Where does the little unattached wire go

Attachments

• 0503231648a.jpg
    0503231648a.jpg
    312.5 KB · Views: 70

cdmccul

If you take a multi meter and check that wire... Is it 12+? Full time or just key on? If it is near zero volts, does it have continuity to ground?

Screenshot_20230503_232703_Chrome.jpg

In the circled area... Are there two (or three) 1/4 inch spade terminals?

foton

some alternators have a sense wire , the wire is supposed to go to something that is hot when the switch is on that is the furtherest point in the machines electrical circuit. What is is suopposed to do is help eith getting the alternator to charge the circuit with the correct voltage at the farthets point. It also lets the alternator start charging on start up at a lower rpm.

foton

get a meter or test light and turn the key on and check that hanging wire if it gets voltage, at least tape it up to prevent it from shorting to the frame ground. if it does get power chances are it is the sense wire from where it is hanging.