speedin' up my 763

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

xtreem3d

are there any tires i can get w/ a larger diameter to help speed up my single speed 763?

Tazza

Staff member
If you get larger tyres remember your pushing power will decrease. You have to make sure you don't go too big or the front tyres will rub on the boom!

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

If you get larger tyres remember your pushing power will decrease. You have to make sure you don't go too big or the front tyres will rub on the boom!
thanks...didn't consider hitting boom...where would i get bigger wheels/ tires if i wanted? i've googled but can't really find much

Idoitall

thanks...didn't consider hitting boom...where would i get bigger wheels/ tires if i wanted? i've googled but can't really find much
If you raise the machine you are increasing the center of gravity, then you can have a "unplanned event" such as over-turn, and also the boom may likely bottom out before your box sets flat on the ground, affecting grading, etc. Not to mention the cost of a new set of wheels and tires. I would think twice about this.

skidsteer.ca

If you raise the machine you are increasing the center of gravity, then you can have a "unplanned event" such as over-turn, and also the boom may likely bottom out before your box sets flat on the ground, affecting grading, etc. Not to mention the cost of a new set of wheels and tires. I would think twice about this.
I have given this though for snow plowing. 12 by 16.5 tires fit a 773, not sure on your 763, boom is different. The machine I used with these tire was on a tree spade, so the 20 or 25% wheel power reduction did not matter. It likely gained 2 mph. This would not be the thing to do if you want to push hard, but for lift and carry and some medium duty application where more speed would save alot of time it could be a asset.
also www.surpluscenter.com had some 8 lug 15" and 16" wheels that would be good for mounting pickup snow tires on. Not sure what size would be the biggest that would clear.

Ken

TriHonu

I have given this though for snow plowing. 12 by 16.5 tires fit a 773, not sure on your 763, boom is different. The machine I used with these tire was on a tree spade, so the 20 or 25% wheel power reduction did not matter. It likely gained 2 mph. This would not be the thing to do if you want to push hard, but for lift and carry and some medium duty application where more speed would save alot of time it could be a asset.
also www.surpluscenter.com had some 8 lug 15" and 16" wheels that would be good for mounting pickup snow tires on. Not sure what size would be the biggest that would clear.

Ken
I have seen a couple of S300's this winter with some tall skinny tires on them. I don't know if they got them from Bobcat or bought rims and found the tires after-market. They really caught my eye they were so tall. I'm guessing they were also looking for more speed and better traction on snow.
I recently picked up a set of 12"x16.5" CAT wheels and tires. They have the same bolt pattern (8" bolt circle) as my 763. The wheel offset is 3" in rear, 8" offset in front.
If I mount them traditionally the track width is around 73.5" and the inside of the tire is 3" outside of the lift arm. (My wheel hubs are about 6" outside of loader arms.)
If I mount them flipped with the 8" offset to the rear the track width is about 65" which is just narrower than my 10" wheels. New 33.5" tall tires would be close to scuffing the back of the loader arm unless you installed a boom spacer like they use for Over the Tire Tracks.
So yes you can get 12" rims that will fit and be outside the loader arms.
As for speed, the 763 is rated at 7 mph with 31" tall tires. My quick math came up with:

Tire Height Speed
33.5" 7.56 mph
34" 7.67 mph
35" 7.9 mph
36" 8.12 mph
40" 9.0 mph
So to go 2 mph faster your machine would sit 4.5" higher and you would still have to find some 40" tall tires
emotion-3.gif

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

I have seen a couple of S300's this winter with some tall skinny tires on them. I don't know if they got them from Bobcat or bought rims and found the tires after-market. They really caught my eye they were so tall. I'm guessing they were also looking for more speed and better traction on snow.
I recently picked up a set of 12"x16.5" CAT wheels and tires. They have the same bolt pattern (8" bolt circle) as my 763. The wheel offset is 3" in rear, 8" offset in front.
If I mount them traditionally the track width is around 73.5" and the inside of the tire is 3" outside of the lift arm. (My wheel hubs are about 6" outside of loader arms.)
If I mount them flipped with the 8" offset to the rear the track width is about 65" which is just narrower than my 10" wheels. New 33.5" tall tires would be close to scuffing the back of the loader arm unless you installed a boom spacer like they use for Over the Tire Tracks.
As for speed, the 763 is rated at 7 mph with 31" tall tires. My quick math came up with:

Tire Height Speed
33.5" 7.56 mph
34" 7.67 mph
35" 7.9 mph
36" 8.12 mph
40" 9.0 mph
So to go 2 mph faster your machine would sit 4.5" higher and you would still have to find some 40" tall tires .
guys, thanks for the tips...i thought i would get more speed than shown, probably not worth it, steve

skidsteer.ca

Tire Height Speed
33.5" 7.56 mph
34" 7.67 mph
35" 7.9 mph
36" 8.12 mph
40" 9.0 mph
So to go 2 mph faster your machine would sit 4.5" higher and you would still have to find some 40" tall tires .
I must have been overly optimistic with my speed then, I know it felt noticebly faster compared to my 773g with 10/16.5
they were 12/16.5 whic are 2.5" ? taller
Ken