Sold my Toolcat 5600 (...and now I'm in a mess)

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

farmhandtom

I'd really appreciate your help. I bought an acreage last year and decided to purchase a new 2019 Bobcat Toolcat 5600 to help me plant 75 trees, move around brush, etc. I put 100 hours on it in the first 45 days... then I used it a couple hours per month from then on...and decided to sell it. 
 Six months ago, I sold it for the too-low price of 43,500 (included a bucket & forks.) I had paid $57,000 for the new machine a few months earlier. I also had a 72" grapple that I advertised for $2200 (purchase new for $3500). 
 The guy drives 10 hours to come pick it up...and when he arrives he notices a 'rattling sound' that bothers him. I hadn't noticed it before. He wants to purchase the Toolcat + 72" Grapple... so I tell him "Go ahead and take the grapple... get the rattling sound looked at & fixed and just send me a payment for the difference." In addition, the 'boots' had become damaged & I also told him to replace those - and just send me a payment for the difference. As he was leaving, I reassured the guy that if he finds "anything major" wrong with the Toolcat that I would make it right. 

The guy calls me a month later and he's upset. He had to pay Bobcat $4000 to repair the machine. Now he's asking ME to pay HIM $1800 ($4000 invoice less than $2200 Grapple he took...)
 Of course, I ask him for copy of the invoice. I've attached it. Here's the thing: The 'fluids' were changed a few hours before he purchased it. I have no idea why he got the fluids changed. And the 'restrictor' was his choice - not mine. Yet, he was asking me to compensate him for these things. 
 Here's the invoice: https://ibb.co/nrnrnBQ Here's a general description of work done: https://ibb.co/jZ9mtN9 After some back and forth, he has agreed I don't owe him for the fluid changes + restrictor... and is now asking for a payment of $1200 ($4000 bill - $2200 Grapple - $600 in fluid + restrictor charges.)
 I'm sick about the whole deal. I know I undersold the 2019 Toolcat (125 hours) at $43,500. And I undersold and wasn't paid for the Grapple ($2200)... and now I'm being asked to essentially give him the Grapple for FREE and pay him $1200. The two outstanding variables: - He didn't factor "labor" into changing the fluids or adding the restricter
- Are there any other glaring charges on here that *you as the buyer* would not consider "major" fixes -- and something you would expect to have to fix in a used machine  I even asked if I could buy it back from him for the $43,500 + $4000 Bobcat bill... he said "no" - which pretty much tells me everything I need to know.

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry that you have been essentially shafted... A machine of that age would surely still be under warranty, so all of the non service work should have been done for free, you don't owe him anything. You don't owe for the hydraulic filter too, as that would have been done when you got the fluid changed before.
Shame he already has the bucket, as you have already taken a hit, that's another 2,200 gone.
I think he took advantage of your offer to fix it up, like selling a car and saying i'll pay to fix up major issues, and they go and have it re-painted, new engine and transmission etc.

Wayne440

I'm not sure that this will be helpful, but thank you for posting an example that others here can learn from - you have learned a valuable lesson, at considerable cost. Some noteworthy points are- (1) Always sell a machine "as is", (2) Get full payment for equipment before it leaves your possession, (3) If the potential buyer finds some defect, do not offer to reimburse him/her for later repair, instead say " I'm selling it as it is, but I'll discount the price by $XXX, to help you with the repair expense".