six way blade

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

highlife

Hello, my name is billy aka highlife, the beer. new guy here. I have a question about my lx 885. on the boom i as do most skid steers have two wet lines. i might be buying a six way blade from an asv machine. its new never used for 1000 dollars. good price. im pretty sure that it dosent have the uni plate but that is no problem at all. my question is how do most people do there controls for the second motion , up/down ( loader arms ) , tilt (left/right ) , angle ( left/ right ). do they make some sort of mast and plum in a valve or what. is this possible ? selling my dozer ( cat d 6 ) and would like to use this for LIGHT GRADING. nice machine but Not a D 6 does this even sound like a good idea? i realize that with a mast i wont be able to lift the boom up too far with out hitting the roof. But dozer blades are not normally up in the air that far.

Tazza

Staff member
Any help would be great. any at all.
They are usually electronically controlled, you will need to have a machine that is new enough to have this harness fitted and you will also need to ensure its compatible with the attachment. They are not all to a standard that can be used on any late model machine i'm afraid. I'm not sure what the conversion boxes sell for, but no doubt not cheap.
You will find there are colenoids on the attachment that the electronics *talk to* to turn them on and off. Its something i'm sure it could be wired to up switches to manually control functions.
Not sure if thats what you wanted to hear or not.....

OP
OP
H

highlife

They are usually electronically controlled, you will need to have a machine that is new enough to have this harness fitted and you will also need to ensure its compatible with the attachment. They are not all to a standard that can be used on any late model machine i'm afraid. I'm not sure what the conversion boxes sell for, but no doubt not cheap.
You will find there are colenoids on the attachment that the electronics *talk to* to turn them on and off. Its something i'm sure it could be wired to up switches to manually control functions.
Not sure if thats what you wanted to hear or not.....
does that mean electric switches on the machine to control individual wet lines or does that mean that the wires travle down the boom and to the blade and that is where the selinoids would control flow, ex. angle left or right? I have a 1999 lx 885 with one pair of lines. pretty sure that when i turn flow on it is on. and until i would flip a switch nothing would be flowing. Witch would heat up the fluid and prolly burn up a pump. guess i cant do that with my machine . that is a baaaaad thing. is there any way to get around that with my 885 ?

Tazza

Staff member
does that mean electric switches on the machine to control individual wet lines or does that mean that the wires travle down the boom and to the blade and that is where the selinoids would control flow, ex. angle left or right? I have a 1999 lx 885 with one pair of lines. pretty sure that when i turn flow on it is on. and until i would flip a switch nothing would be flowing. Witch would heat up the fluid and prolly burn up a pump. guess i cant do that with my machine . that is a baaaaad thing. is there any way to get around that with my 885 ?
The way it will run is you have fluid from the machine, 2 lines. This goes to the attachment where the flow is diverted with electro-mechanical solenoids to control the functions. On the newer machines you have a wiring harness down the boom near the quick couplers that you hook up to the attachment, this controls the solenoids via switches and buttons on your hand controls.
As for the flow, don't worry about pump damage as you have a main relief valve that will just make the oil go over it and back to the tank if the oil has no where to go when bottom out a ram. It does cause a little more heat but nothing your oil cooler can't handle. You will only need flow when you adjust angles, not when you are pushing the attachment around, maybe little mumps here and there so you don't want continuous flow.

Earthwerks Unlimited

The way it will run is you have fluid from the machine, 2 lines. This goes to the attachment where the flow is diverted with electro-mechanical solenoids to control the functions. On the newer machines you have a wiring harness down the boom near the quick couplers that you hook up to the attachment, this controls the solenoids via switches and buttons on your hand controls.
As for the flow, don't worry about pump damage as you have a main relief valve that will just make the oil go over it and back to the tank if the oil has no where to go when bottom out a ram. It does cause a little more heat but nothing your oil cooler can't handle. You will only need flow when you adjust angles, not when you are pushing the attachment around, maybe little mumps here and there so you don't want continuous flow.
Surplus Center.com sells new and used electric over hydraulic valves for this puirpose. Not cheap. Then you have to run a separate wire harness and connector at the boom for it to that runs isndie the cab with electrical switches. The dealer wanted something like $800 for the harness which included new control lever "switch pods" that replace the existing ones. Labor was extra and was about the same as the parts. Push came to shove--pun intended-- you could use an electric V-snow plow controller and pump to do the controlling then just run a power cable to it and a pig tail inside the cab--just don't raise the boom to far. What I did was buy an 8' snow plow and made it rigidly mounted to a spare mounting plate. I use it for snow plowing. For loose dirt it's ok but heavy clay forget it--it submarines too easily. I have a feeling you be sorely disappointed once you get this set up becuase the machine will slip sideways very easy. And if you're used to a dozer, you will be kicking yourself. I say that becasue a friend of mine is/was a Bobcat salesman and we discussed a Bobcat 6-way dozer. He said don't do it. And I have tracks too which triples the traction but still he advised against it.

OP
OP
H

highlife

Surplus Center.com sells new and used electric over hydraulic valves for this puirpose. Not cheap. Then you have to run a separate wire harness and connector at the boom for it to that runs isndie the cab with electrical switches. The dealer wanted something like $800 for the harness which included new control lever "switch pods" that replace the existing ones. Labor was extra and was about the same as the parts. Push came to shove--pun intended-- you could use an electric V-snow plow controller and pump to do the controlling then just run a power cable to it and a pig tail inside the cab--just don't raise the boom to far. What I did was buy an 8' snow plow and made it rigidly mounted to a spare mounting plate. I use it for snow plowing. For loose dirt it's ok but heavy clay forget it--it submarines too easily. I have a feeling you be sorely disappointed once you get this set up becuase the machine will slip sideways very easy. And if you're used to a dozer, you will be kicking yourself. I say that becasue a friend of mine is/was a Bobcat salesman and we discussed a Bobcat 6-way dozer. He said don't do it. And I have tracks too which triples the traction but still he advised against it.
Hey guys thanks for all the info and advice. I have to admit , the sliding side ways thing would not be too good and as a matter of a fact it didnt even occur to me, but i can see it happening pretty easily. But for now i at least have a better understanding of the aux. hydro lines. THANK YOU

skidsteer.ca

Hey guys thanks for all the info and advice. I have to admit , the sliding side ways thing would not be too good and as a matter of a fact it didnt even occur to me, but i can see it happening pretty easily. But for now i at least have a better understanding of the aux. hydro lines. THANK YOU
Most of these blades have a electric over hydraulic valve installed on them. The skidsteer flow to the attachment is urned on and left on. When you are not using the valve the oil simplypasses through it and returns to the loader. So no heat or load.
When you push the switch to power up the valve for the flow through it is diverted to 1 of the 4 cylinder functions until you release the switch. Most of these attachment can be easily retrofit between the brands by simply maing up a compatible wire harness that power up the 4 (in this case) indvidual solinoids on the hydraulic valve the moves the 2 cylinders each of 2 directions. (bobcat may be the exception to this with their goofy 7 pin computer controled attachment control harness) All other brands simply work on 12 volt "power on" and hold the function on "power off"
Ken