Shrink a rubber O ring ????

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

farmboy555

rebuilding a 15C bobcat auger cannot for the life of me get the black rubber 6" or so orings back in the grove. the new one is the same size as old one have it in the freezer now thinking that one type of fluid would shrink them a little OK Guys spread the knowledge

Tazza

Staff member
Just where is this O ring? Have you lubed it up to get it back in the groove? They should stick out a little so when the other part comes in contact with it, it should compress to give a good seal.
I have never had to freeze an O ring, that would make it hard and possibly brittle which means you could damage it easily when installing it.

Bobcatdan

Just where is this O ring? Have you lubed it up to get it back in the groove? They should stick out a little so when the other part comes in contact with it, it should compress to give a good seal.
I have never had to freeze an O ring, that would make it hard and possibly brittle which means you could damage it easily when installing it.
Rebuilt many 15c, never had a problem. Its just like all the guys who buy cylinder seal kits and come back because they can't get the seals in. I pop them in for them in 5 seconds and never get a thank you.

Tazza

Staff member
Rebuilt many 15c, never had a problem. Its just like all the guys who buy cylinder seal kits and come back because they can't get the seals in. I pop them in for them in 5 seconds and never get a thank you.
Dan - it's a thankless job isn't it? I guess they figure you are there to help them at no charge...
It doesn't take much to say thank you for your help, if your customers are nice to you, you are more likely to be happy to help them out again if they ever need it.

mahans7

Dan - it's a thankless job isn't it? I guess they figure you are there to help them at no charge...
It doesn't take much to say thank you for your help, if your customers are nice to you, you are more likely to be happy to help them out again if they ever need it.
Dan,I'm very thankful for your help. I see you are a BC dealer and I need a set of filters for a 743/SN >24400. Could you email me your store info? Ed

Bobcatdan

Dan,I'm very thankful for your help. I see you are a BC dealer and I need a set of filters for a 743/SN >24400. Could you email me your store info? Ed
I work for Bobcat Plus in Appleton, WI as the whole service department. We have stores in Green Bay, which I'm also the road tech for. Our other stores are in Milwaukee and Chippewa Falls WI. If any are near you, we'd be glad to help. Sorry for the shamless plug if it offends anybody.

Tazza

Staff member
I work for Bobcat Plus in Appleton, WI as the whole service department. We have stores in Green Bay, which I'm also the road tech for. Our other stores are in Milwaukee and Chippewa Falls WI. If any are near you, we'd be glad to help. Sorry for the shamless plug if it offends anybody.
Not at all shameless, it was just a valid statement.
Mostly people are very thankful for your help but there is always one....

mahans7

Not at all shameless, it was just a valid statement.
Mostly people are very thankful for your help but there is always one....
Dan, I'm in Birmingham AL, but if I'm in Wisconsin (last was in 2008) I'll have to look in on your store.