Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

T2skid

I was just wondering if any of you are running this new rotella oil it says that it is like a 5w oil in the cold and a 15w40 oil in higher temps. I live in Iowa so we get extreme cold in winter and pretty hot in the summer. I would like to try it but was wanting some input from others first.

siduramaxde

I use it in my loader but I really can't tell a difference from 15w40. Maybe it doesn't get cold enough here. We might get below 0 a couple times per year. I have a job to do tomorrow and its supposed to be 5 degrees F here in the morning. I'll see if it starts then. Keeping my fingers crossed.

skidsteer.ca

I use it in my loader but I really can't tell a difference from 15w40. Maybe it doesn't get cold enough here. We might get below 0 a couple times per year. I have a job to do tomorrow and its supposed to be 5 degrees F here in the morning. I'll see if it starts then. Keeping my fingers crossed.
As per New Holland recomendation I run Esso 0/40 all year round. Makes cold weather starts much easier. When it gets down to 0 f, 15/40 is like tar and 10/30 gets pretty thick too but will still pour..
Guess it really depends on how often you see these conditions, but this whay I change my oil by the hour meter and not the season.
Western Ontario
Ken

xtreem3d

As per New Holland recomendation I run Esso 0/40 all year round. Makes cold weather starts much easier. When it gets down to 0 f, 15/40 is like tar and 10/30 gets pretty thick too but will still pour..
Guess it really depends on how often you see these conditions, but this whay I change my oil by the hour meter and not the season.
Western Ontario
Ken
hi ken,
where did you see the NH oil recomendation? i have 3 but they are all used so no operator manual ect. do NH's come with this oil from the factory?
steve

Jeffscarstrucks

hi ken,
where did you see the NH oil recomendation? i have 3 but they are all used so no operator manual ect. do NH's come with this oil from the factory?
steve
The 5w40 is the synthetic equal to conventional 15w40. The synthetic base stock is able to be rated at the 5w rating because it is much more controllable and stable in its make up. I just went through the research when I was trying to find a synthetic 15w40 for some other equipment before I figured this out. I am a believer in syntetics but I sure hate the cost. We used to run a nearly stock Briggs&Stratton 5hp over 10,000rpms every pass (jr. dragster) with virtually no wear at the end of a season....made a believer out of me! JEFF

skidsteer.ca

hi ken,
steve
Steve
That was per the NH dealers recommendation in Steinbach Mb. They recommend it year round. I ran it throught last summer without incident. As for how it compares with 15/40 for hot weather use who knows. But imo oil that won't flow in cold weather cannot be good.
We see some -25 to -30 f weather here most winters. We can however see a period above freezing in the winter too. I figures it worth the extra cost of the oil just to be able to leave it in there until the hour meter say to dump it out.
I got my ls 160 used from a fellow who put 450 hours on it in 6 years. He changed oil every season, 40 or 50 hours, so I left the clean oil in it the first winter because I always parked it in the heated shop. Except one -25 night it had to stay out, I plugged it in the next day for 2 hours and it fired right up. The shut itself off with the warning beaping.This motor has a tiny steel line that oils the top end where the pressure sensor is and it shut down because it took too long for the pressure to rise at the sensor because of the heavy oil/small line combo.
I spoke with the dealer about this and have run 0/40 since. 1.5 years
Ken

Latest posts