Drive Train Oil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

harold duren

For an older bobcat 743 (early 1980s) that has not been used excessively, could I use a thicker drive case oil instead of the 10W40 such as a 15W50?

brdgbldr

For an older bobcat 743 (early 1980s) that has not been used excessively, could I use a thicker drive case oil instead of the 10W40 such as a 15W50?
The chain case is just an oil bath so any good oil will work in it. The weight of the oil isn't really a factor unless it is super thin or super thick. The chains and sprockets just slop it arround to all of the parts.

Most of us actually use the oil we replace from the hydraulic system in the chain case since it has been filtered, as long as there is no water in it.

OP
OP
H

harold duren

The chain case is just an oil bath so any good oil will work in it. The weight of the oil isn't really a factor unless it is super thin or super thick. The chains and sprockets just slop it arround to all of the parts.

Most of us actually use the oil we replace from the hydraulic system in the chain case since it has been filtered, as long as there is no water in it.
Will a 15W50 oil be too thick? Thank You.

brdgbldr

Will a 15W50 oil be too thick? Thank You.
It depends on your climate and the seasons that you operate the machine in.

A multi-weight oil changes fluidity with temperature. That oil should be ok for the chain case but would not be my first choice unless I was working in a warmer climate.

foton

A friend of mine has his s185 at Bobcat for some chaincase work and they are using a 68 weight hydro oil in the case. (we are in South Tn).Now since there is load on gears and chains I would have thought that they would use a oil that is meant for gear drives like universal tractor fluid or engine oil for a little more anti sling and load bearing qualities. But maybe I am over thinking this.

JoeCamel

A friend of mine has his s185 at Bobcat for some chaincase work and they are using a 68 weight hydro oil in the case. (we are in South Tn).Now since there is load on gears and chains I would have thought that they would use a oil that is meant for gear drives like universal tractor fluid or engine oil for a little more anti sling and load bearing qualities. But maybe I am over thinking this.
I think the oil is specced for the most common availability so rural areas can still find a supply. I have an old 60XT that has 10-30 in both the hydraulic and chain case leaving plenty of clean old oil around for other projects. Makes pretty good form oil

Latest posts