repowered M-371.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jmmillerfzr

I just completed repowering my 371 to a 25hp twin kohler and a ogura electric clutch. So far I'm pretty happy with it, but the clutches and drive train are pretty noisy. How do you check for the proper fluid level in this machine? Also the right drive lever is very tight with maybe one inch of movement in each direction, the other side is is closer to 2" in each direction and has problems centering itself. I also read some where about increasing a spring tension to give the loader more lifting capacity. thanks for any tips.

skidsteer.ca

How do you check for the proper fluid level in this machine?
There should be a dip stick on the chain case/ hyd reservoir cap. Under the seat.
I also read some where about increasing a spring tension to give the loader more lifting capacity. Your talking about increasing the relief valve pressure. Which boosts the cylinders force. This is done with a simple screw adjustment on the hydraulic valve. The 371 I had was low on pressure as a reult of the spring gettin weak over the years. Setting the pressure back up to the spec of 1400 psi (if memory serves) made a huge diference over the 1050 my pressure guage indicated it was putting out. To play with the pressure you need to install a guage or you can damage your pump,etc f you set the relief to high.
Ken​

OP
OP
J

jmmillerfzr

How do you check for the proper fluid level in this machine?
There should be a dip stick on the chain case/ hyd reservoir cap. Under the seat.
I also read some where about increasing a spring tension to give the loader more lifting capacity. Your talking about increasing the relief valve pressure. Which boosts the cylinders force. This is done with a simple screw adjustment on the hydraulic valve. The 371 I had was low on pressure as a reult of the spring gettin weak over the years. Setting the pressure back up to the spec of 1400 psi (if memory serves) made a huge diference over the 1050 my pressure guage indicated it was putting out. To play with the pressure you need to install a guage or you can damage your pump,etc f you set the relief to high.
Ken
I'm guessing I will need to increase the relief valve pressure as the last time this machine was running my buddy said it would barely lift a 1/4 bucket of gravel. Where do you hook up the pressure gage? on one of the output lines? Thanks

Tazza

Staff member
I'm guessing I will need to increase the relief valve pressure as the last time this machine was running my buddy said it would barely lift a 1/4 bucket of gravel. Where do you hook up the pressure gage? on one of the output lines? Thanks
If you have aux hydraulic lines simply hook into here. Adjust the pressure then activate the aux hydraulics and see what it reads, back it off or increase as needed. Your entire hydraulic circuit is linked, so the pressure change will effect lift, tilt, aux.

skidsteer.ca

If you have aux hydraulic lines simply hook into here. Adjust the pressure then activate the aux hydraulics and see what it reads, back it off or increase as needed. Your entire hydraulic circuit is linked, so the pressure change will effect lift, tilt, aux.
Note this problem could also be caused by a wore out hydraulic pump. If adjusting the relief screw on the hydraulic valve will not raise the pressure, then be sure to return the screw to the original position b4 installing a new pump or you can burst components in the hydaulic system which could result in injury and will result in damage
My 371 never had aux hydraulics with the quick couplers on the boom.
Instead I "T" ed into the hose for the lift of the main boom (hose attached to rean end of boom cylinder) then observed the max pressure the guage would reach when the boom hit the top and adjusted it to 1400 psi.
Note this problem could also be caused by a wore out hydraulic pump. If adjusting the relief screw on the hydraulic valve will not raise the pressure, then be sure to return the screw to the original position b4 installing a new pump .
The relief is about a 9/16" wrench size cap threaded over a 3/8 or so thread protruding from the valve. Remove the cap, the thread will have a screwdrive or allen slot on the end as there is no place to put a wrench. Where the screw meets the valve it will have a jamb nut to hold the screw in the corect position.
Hold the screw stationary, losen the jamb nut and turn the screw clockwise to increase the pressure, 1/2 a turn at a time, then check the pressure to see if it rises. If a full turn of the screw does not make a noticable difference in pressure something else it wrong and you need to find out what. (ie broken spring on relief valve, or defective hyd pump)
A 300 psi or more diffrence in max hyd pressure at low engine rpm verses hi engine rpm is often a indicator or a worn hyd pump.
Go to bobcat.com, historical specs and look up the 371, I believe 1400 psi is correct but please check
Also please send some pics of your repower and we will put them up in the repower section
Ken

OP
OP
J

jmmillerfzr

Note this problem could also be caused by a wore out hydraulic pump. If adjusting the relief screw on the hydraulic valve will not raise the pressure, then be sure to return the screw to the original position b4 installing a new pump or you can burst components in the hydaulic system which could result in injury and will result in damage
My 371 never had aux hydraulics with the quick couplers on the boom.
Instead I "T" ed into the hose for the lift of the main boom (hose attached to rean end of boom cylinder) then observed the max pressure the guage would reach when the boom hit the top and adjusted it to 1400 psi.
Note this problem could also be caused by a wore out hydraulic pump. If adjusting the relief screw on the hydraulic valve will not raise the pressure, then be sure to return the screw to the original position b4 installing a new pump .
The relief is about a 9/16" wrench size cap threaded over a 3/8 or so thread protruding from the valve. Remove the cap, the thread will have a screwdrive or allen slot on the end as there is no place to put a wrench. Where the screw meets the valve it will have a jamb nut to hold the screw in the corect position.
Hold the screw stationary, losen the jamb nut and turn the screw clockwise to increase the pressure, 1/2 a turn at a time, then check the pressure to see if it rises. If a full turn of the screw does not make a noticable difference in pressure something else it wrong and you need to find out what. (ie broken spring on relief valve, or defective hyd pump)
A 300 psi or more diffrence in max hyd pressure at low engine rpm verses hi engine rpm is often a indicator or a worn hyd pump.
Go to bobcat.com, historical specs and look up the 371, I believe 1400 psi is correct but please check
Also please send some pics of your repower and we will put them up in the repower section
Ken
I'll get some pictures off tomorrow. I'll have to find a gage before I try to adjust the pressure. Thanks for the information.

Tazza

Staff member
I'll get some pictures off tomorrow. I'll have to find a gage before I try to adjust the pressure. Thanks for the information.
DSCF3037.JPG

DSCF3040.JPG

DSCF3041.JPG

skidsteer.ca

Tazza beat me to the upload. Thanks, I'm kinda swamped these days.
John
The electic clutch, why did you use one? It just disenguages like the mower deck on many lawn tractors?
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza beat me to the upload. Thanks, I'm kinda swamped these days.
John
The electic clutch, why did you use one? It just disenguages like the mower deck on many lawn tractors?
Ken
Ken - not an issue, i snuck on from work to upload them.
I so know what you mean about the lack of time.... Too many projects to do, so little time and you still need time for a "life". Thats why on the weekends i don't always get to log in to the site.

OP
OP
J

jmmillerfzr

Ken - not an issue, i snuck on from work to upload them.
I so know what you mean about the lack of time.... Too many projects to do, so little time and you still need time for a "life". Thats why on the weekends i don't always get to log in to the site.
The only reason I used the electric clutch is because I found it on ebay cheaper then I could have just bought the pulley for. I really didn't expedt it to work, I just planed on using the pulleys and bypassing the clutch feature, weld or some other method. When It arrived it was brand new, so thought what the heck and used it to disengage the drive. I am kind of tossing around the idea of linking the clutch to the seat, so if your not sitting on the seat the skid won't be able to drive forward.