replacing seals on a 371 bobcat

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dano

I have to replace the seals for the upper jackshaft of our old girl (not my wife), and I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these old dinosaurs or whether anyone knows where to get a service manual at a decent price. Thanks in advance.

Tazza

Staff member
Have you tried your local dealer for a manual? you may be surprised at the price.

SlagKing

Have you tried your local dealer for a manual? you may be surprised at the price.
I have a 371 but I'm not sure what your calling a jackshaft? The seals on the cylinders are a piece of cake though, with the help I got from Tazza. If a jackshaft is where the drive pulley is/connected to, I havn't replaced mine yet. If that isn't the jackshaft, let me know and I'll see if I can help in other ways. Have fun reguardless Slag

OP
OP
D

dano

I have a 371 but I'm not sure what your calling a jackshaft? The seals on the cylinders are a piece of cake though, with the help I got from Tazza. If a jackshaft is where the drive pulley is/connected to, I havn't replaced mine yet. If that isn't the jackshaft, let me know and I'll see if I can help in other ways. Have fun reguardless Slag
Yeah, I'm surprised at the cost of the manuals, I almost need a bank loan to buy one. The best price I found was about $50 through ssbtractors. The shaft that's leaking is the front one with the pulleys on it, and the local Bobcat dealer's program refers to the shaft as the upper jackshaft. It seems to have a lot of chain action happening with it, so I'm gonna take it apart and see what kind of trouble I can cause. Any help (or moral support) is greatly appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Yeah, I'm surprised at the cost of the manuals, I almost need a bank loan to buy one. The best price I found was about $50 through ssbtractors. The shaft that's leaking is the front one with the pulleys on it, and the local Bobcat dealer's program refers to the shaft as the upper jackshaft. It seems to have a lot of chain action happening with it, so I'm gonna take it apart and see what kind of trouble I can cause. Any help (or moral support) is greatly appreciated.
SSB seem pretty good on price. Their manuals aren't as good as from Bobcat but still they aren't bad.
With the service manual you will be able to do just about everything. They generally cover everything from pumps/motors to the engine. Its a very worthwhile purchase.
I'm sure you will do fine on the repair, it may take some time but you'll work it out.
Is that the moral support you wanted? :)
Make sure you take piccies for us too, it will be interesting seeing the guts of a machine i have never seen.

OP
OP
D

dano

SSB seem pretty good on price. Their manuals aren't as good as from Bobcat but still they aren't bad.
With the service manual you will be able to do just about everything. They generally cover everything from pumps/motors to the engine. Its a very worthwhile purchase.
I'm sure you will do fine on the repair, it may take some time but you'll work it out.
Is that the moral support you wanted? :)
Make sure you take piccies for us too, it will be interesting seeing the guts of a machine i have never seen.
The moral support's appreciated. I'll get some pics as soon as I get going Thanks.