Replacement engine for an 843 Perkins 4-154

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

la350

I've got an '80's vintage 843 with a tired 4.154. After looking at sources for rebuild parts, there doesn't seem to be much availble. What other engine could I swap into this machine without major engineering needed. I'm not opposed to some welding to perhaps fab some different motor mounts but what about the interface with the fan housing/u joint assembly. Has any done somthing like this and have any suggestions? Lance

Tazza

Staff member
I'm sure you could find an engine to drop in pretty well, but as you stated, the blower. Height wise for the U-joint i don't think is a huge deal but the blower is. You would need to fabricate something to mount the old flywheel/blower to the new engines flywheel.... I see it being a rather large job.
How far gone is your current engine? and how bad is the parts price?

OP
OP
L

la350

I'm sure you could find an engine to drop in pretty well, but as you stated, the blower. Height wise for the U-joint i don't think is a huge deal but the blower is. You would need to fabricate something to mount the old flywheel/blower to the new engines flywheel.... I see it being a rather large job.
How far gone is your current engine? and how bad is the parts price?
It's burning some oil but seems to have some power, I've never operated a skid steer before so I don't have anything to compare it to however. My biggest concern is that when I ship it to AK to use with my commercial fishing business, I need it to be reliable! I'd rather dump some $$$ into a rebuild or replacement next winter here in CA before shipping it up for the 2011 season. Checking around, I believe I'd be into a rebuild to the tune of 2500-3000.00 Is the blower/fan just for engine cooling or does it cool the hyd components also? If so, has anyone every done any modifications such as adding 12v fans to supliment the cooling? I'm thinking of a VW turbo diesel that my dad's buddy has sitting in his garage, a connection to the ujoint assembly shouldn't be too bad but fabbing the cooling system could be an issue I suppose. How about an Isuzu, what model would be a bolt in? Seems like those engines/parts may be easier to get ahold of. Lance

Tazza

Staff member
It's burning some oil but seems to have some power, I've never operated a skid steer before so I don't have anything to compare it to however. My biggest concern is that when I ship it to AK to use with my commercial fishing business, I need it to be reliable! I'd rather dump some $$$ into a rebuild or replacement next winter here in CA before shipping it up for the 2011 season. Checking around, I believe I'd be into a rebuild to the tune of 2500-3000.00 Is the blower/fan just for engine cooling or does it cool the hyd components also? If so, has anyone every done any modifications such as adding 12v fans to supliment the cooling? I'm thinking of a VW turbo diesel that my dad's buddy has sitting in his garage, a connection to the ujoint assembly shouldn't be too bad but fabbing the cooling system could be an issue I suppose. How about an Isuzu, what model would be a bolt in? Seems like those engines/parts may be easier to get ahold of. Lance
The cooling fan blows through the radiator and the oil cooler for the hydraulics. Others have tried mounting thermofans, but it didn't work properly. I'm sure it can be done, but you will need to experiment and hopefully get there if you can't use the factory setup.
The engine in the 843 may have been slightly under-powered vs todays current machines. It may be why it feels it hasn't got all that much power?

OP
OP
L

la350

The cooling fan blows through the radiator and the oil cooler for the hydraulics. Others have tried mounting thermofans, but it didn't work properly. I'm sure it can be done, but you will need to experiment and hopefully get there if you can't use the factory setup.
The engine in the 843 may have been slightly under-powered vs todays current machines. It may be why it feels it hasn't got all that much power?
Would there be another "Bobcat" engine then that would work for a repower? Perhaps there a a newer '90's vintage engine that would be more or less bolt in?

Tazza

Staff member
Would there be another "Bobcat" engine then that would work for a repower? Perhaps there a a newer '90's vintage engine that would be more or less bolt in?
That machine is the last in the series before they went to an east/west setup with a drive belt to connect the motor with the pump. The newer ones in the same size run a 3.3litre turbo Kubota or the older ones ran an oil cooled turbo detuz. You may be able to get the Kubota to fit, but again, you have the blower issue....

csm843

Im in the process of getting my 843 with the 4.1 perkins replaced. I think i got hosed because we are at about $14k for the engine work. I had about 3800hours on it and the crank broke. I probably should've parted it out if I could go back. Anything else I should check now that I'm into it this far?

BG Scapes

I agree with Tazza , these are a little underpowered .
Wouldn't be to hard to add a small eBay turbo , they seem to run a little rich anyways . If its not puking light colored smoke out of the tailpipe , might have some life in it .

spitzair

I could be wrong but I think the later 843s ran an Isuzu engine before they discontinued the 843 in favor of the 853 so maybe that could be something you could make work without too much difficulty especially if you can find a donor machine…

csm843

Yes I heard these Perkins 4.1 are in short supply. At least the 200 series anyway. My question really is, is there anything else I should check out while the motor is out? I'm also working to hook up some rear stabilizers (that I already have) as I do a fair bit of back hoe work on hillsides. I'm having a hard time finding the specific plumbing and linkage. Would anyone happen to have diagram and/or parts or whom they might refer me to?

jp8775

Its been over a year since I searched the forum for Perkins 4.154 in my 843. Has anything changed as far as parts? Any new sources I have low oil pressure about 10 psi with a pressure gauge hooked up. Engine runs fine just worried about the oil pressure. Any help for parts would be great.

Tazza

Staff member
Low oil pressure could be a weak pump, or worn crankshaft bearings. The more clearance you get, the less oil pressure you will have.

foton

If you know if the compression is good as it starts easily and burns little amounts of oil if any , I would consider pulling the engine and doing the bottom end, oil pump rod and mains bearings. yes it is rolling the dice as typically when you go that far you want to do the whole engine,but as you say it functions well enough it just has low oil pressure, I guess you need to think about the hours you are gonna use the machine ,but be prepared once you get in there what else you might find needs work. but now you have a good block to work with anyway.

jp8775

My main concern is parts. I am capable of rebuilding it (I was a journeymen mechanic) but I do not want to tear it apart and find there are no parts sources. If I do a rebuild and the crankshaft main bearing are out by .005 but I cannot locate parts I have a real mess. As far as replacements I have seen lots of used ones for sale. This engine was used in sail boats and some other boats. That's why I am so surprised that parts are so hard to find? Between bobcats, back hoes and many other equipment and adding boats as well there must be tons out there. I was told once my a parts source when I as about this they say the demand is not out there, well maybe thats because there are no parts? I once asked a hardware store if they had such and such, they said no. I said why they said no demand. I said how do you know as you have none. You books will show no sales because of that. If you are not keeping track of how many requests you have you really do not know what request you have. Then I went to a Fleet farm and they had it. I said to the sales guy wow I am so gland you have this he then said ya we sell a lot of them? Well there you go! There are suppliers in Australia and the UK but shipping is an issue.

Last edited:

jp8775

Can you put a different Perkins engine in? They make a few different engines. Has any one tried that?

Tazza

Staff member
Have you spoken to parts4engines? the bloke there is very helpful, and the listing does show he has parts available.

jp8775

Yep thats where I most likely will buy my rebuild kit. But they have two models 200 series and another I do not know how to tell what I have.

BG Scapes

Its been over a year since I searched the forum for Perkins 4.154 in my 843. Has anything changed as far as parts? Any new sources I have low oil pressure about 10 psi with a pressure gauge hooked up. Engine runs fine just worried about the oil pressure. Any help for parts would be great.
Try flushing it by running it with diesel in the oil , these are sludgey motors , that pickup tube gets blocked .

Latest posts