Replace v1702 with v2203

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

DL3633

I seen a ad somewhere (think it was ebay) that mentioned a service bulletin with instructions to replace v1702 with a v2203. Does anyone have info on this? The application is a 743B skidsteer! Good hydraulics and drive; engine smokes and is hard to start cold.

Tazza

Staff member
My dealer said not to go over a V1903, the V2203 has too much power and can overheat the pumps. This topic has been covered in here maybe 2 months back now. Its still up to you as to what you decide to do. They will bolt straight up, you may need to swap sumps though but it will work. If you do go that way, you must be careful that you don't cause pump damage due to the extra HP.
Good luck with it.

thetool

My two cents on this is that if it will bolt in, go for it, and don't worry about that few extra HP.
RPM is the same, system pressure will be what is required at any given moment, and the system is protected by relief. Your available HP will go up, it dosen't mean you'll use it, unless you start fiddling with flow(rpm) and pressure relief settings.
What Tazza was told has merit, but I don't think you'll have trouble with that few extra HP. If anything, your engine NOT bogging down is a good thing for the hydrostats, as your charge pump stays wound up and flowing.
The designers probably said, "What is the SMALLEST engine we can stick in this baby?"

Tazza

Staff member
My two cents on this is that if it will bolt in, go for it, and don't worry about that few extra HP.
RPM is the same, system pressure will be what is required at any given moment, and the system is protected by relief. Your available HP will go up, it dosen't mean you'll use it, unless you start fiddling with flow(rpm) and pressure relief settings.
What Tazza was told has merit, but I don't think you'll have trouble with that few extra HP. If anything, your engine NOT bogging down is a good thing for the hydrostats, as your charge pump stays wound up and flowing.
The designers probably said, "What is the SMALLEST engine we can stick in this baby?"
Like i said, its your choice its just what the service manager told me.
The problem as he described to me ws the engine has about 10 more HP. When you load the system down with the V1702 it will bog down and you know its working hard, with the extra HP you won't notice its under as much strain as the engine will not bog down. Sure there are relief valves to protect it from too much load, but heat is still generated. Like i said, your choice, i was just repeating what the service guy told me. He has been working on 743's since they first came out, so i may know a thing or 2 :)
With that said, i personally agree with *thetool* i can't see it being that much of an issue, just watch your system temperature.

OP
OP
D

DL3633

Like i said, its your choice its just what the service manager told me.
The problem as he described to me ws the engine has about 10 more HP. When you load the system down with the V1702 it will bog down and you know its working hard, with the extra HP you won't notice its under as much strain as the engine will not bog down. Sure there are relief valves to protect it from too much load, but heat is still generated. Like i said, your choice, i was just repeating what the service guy told me. He has been working on 743's since they first came out, so i may know a thing or 2 :)
With that said, i personally agree with *thetool* i can't see it being that much of an issue, just watch your system temperature.
Thanks for the help! This was my first bobcat and I put alot of hours on it. It had enough HP to tip it forward with heavy material. Got used to monitoring my flight attitude while lifting; don't think that extra HP will change this. May add a few more lbs of lift if the 2203 is heavier. Thanks to all the quick replies; I kept looking at my stripped down 2203 and it sure looked the same as the 1702.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the help! This was my first bobcat and I put alot of hours on it. It had enough HP to tip it forward with heavy material. Got used to monitoring my flight attitude while lifting; don't think that extra HP will change this. May add a few more lbs of lift if the 2203 is heavier. Thanks to all the quick replies; I kept looking at my stripped down 2203 and it sure looked the same as the 1702.
The V2203 is the same, just different head and piston design. You will see a pattern on the pistons and a different looking pre-combustion chamber, this is just to help mix the air/fuel charge more evenly providing better burning. The only real difference is the pot size, its slightly larger. As for weight, i believe its the same too, the castings look exactly the same.
Good luck with your swap, if you can take piccies that would be great.

skidboy

The V2203 is the same, just different head and piston design. You will see a pattern on the pistons and a different looking pre-combustion chamber, this is just to help mix the air/fuel charge more evenly providing better burning. The only real difference is the pot size, its slightly larger. As for weight, i believe its the same too, the castings look exactly the same.
Good luck with your swap, if you can take piccies that would be great.
The major difference between a 1702-2203 is the rear main seal.To fit the rear mounting plate off a 1702 you will have to weld up and re-drill bolt holes around rear main seal housing.(2203 holes are a larger pitch dia.)The hole in the plate will also have to be machined to a bigger dia. as the rear main housing is a bigger dia on a 2203.Sumps and manifolds swap over.

jp8775

Are all the Thermo king engines 2203 or are some 1903's, can you buy rear adapter plates to convert it. I just came into a thermo king never run sealed up and wrapped for $2500. How will I tell what its is 1903 0r 2203 looking at it?

jp8775

Are there any bobcats that have V2203'3 in them that I could just get the mount plate?

jp8775

Looks like the 753 has the V2203 in it, that has the engine in sideways so that will not work. I found a mount plate in australia. They specialize in making engine packages to swap the V1702 for V2203. I am ordering one now or going through the process.

jp8775

Does anyone have a spare 743 (v1702) oil pan? There are aftermarket pans on the market any one know anything about them?

Tazza

Staff member
JP8775, it's likely you have spoken to me about that plate, was it DieselWorks?

Shipping out of Australia is stupid expensive, we need to find an alternative to make it more economical to get plates out there. I tried Australia Post, we have limited options here for customers without an account with say TNT, Fedex

Please email me again to remind me to see if we can find another option, as $300 in freight that i have been quoted already is just insane.

jp8775

I have not found any other source. I am trying to order one and am waiting to hear from them how they want me to pay!

jp8775

Does any one know if the sheet metal oil pan can be swapped out for the cast iron pan. The cast pan has some much longer bolts at the end about 3"

jp8775

JP8775, it's likely you have spoken to me about that plate, was it DieselWorks?

Shipping out of Australia is stupid expensive, we need to find an alternative to make it more economical to get plates out there. I tried Australia Post, we have limited options here for customers without an account with say TNT, Fedex

Please email me again to remind me to see if we can find another option, as $300 in freight that i have been quoted already is just insane.
I got a engine mount for swapping out the v1702 for a V2203

Tazza

Staff member
We swap the cast iron sump over when we do a V2203 upgrade for a Bobcat 743, as you know the front engine mount connects to the sump

Latest posts