Rear axle seals and bearings 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

antfarmer2

That will work. I made an attachment for a porta-power pull ram to pill mine in, but i have done a smaller machine by knocking them in.
Hi Tazza got one side of the front done wore me out going to look into a portapower for the rest the back ones look harder

Tazza

Staff member
Hi Tazza got one side of the front done wore me out going to look into a portapower for the rest the back ones look harder
Gald you got one done.
I can't really give you good details of how i made my setup. It was done with a pull ram, length of old chrome bar and machined some stoppers that pulled the cups in. The Bobcat manual shows that they do it with a length of threaded rod and stoppers. Tighten the nut up on the threaded rod and it will pull the cups into place. Is that an easier setup?
When i made the end pieces, i made them slightly smaller than the axle tube ID so they would easily pull in, i also machined a step to hold teh bearing cup in place.

antfarmer2

Gald you got one done.
I can't really give you good details of how i made my setup. It was done with a pull ram, length of old chrome bar and machined some stoppers that pulled the cups in. The Bobcat manual shows that they do it with a length of threaded rod and stoppers. Tighten the nut up on the threaded rod and it will pull the cups into place. Is that an easier setup?
When i made the end pieces, i made them slightly smaller than the axle tube ID so they would easily pull in, i also machined a step to hold teh bearing cup in place.
I did that with 1/2 inch all thread and a bearing set just stripped out the all thread looking at a portapower that I can fit inside and push what do you think?

frogfarmer

I did that with 1/2 inch all thread and a bearing set just stripped out the all thread looking at a portapower that I can fit inside and push what do you think?
The portapower is an option but the threaded rod should work. I have done this once and wont volunteer to do it again. I did use threaded rod but it was larger than 1/2" I think it was 3/4" but the races went in fairly easy. Here is waht I have learned since. The chain case needs very little oil to lube the chains and grease fittings can be installed in the tubes to lube the bearings. Takes quite a bit of grease to fill the tube initially but works much better than oil migration. Got the idea from NH they grease the bearings and run very little oil in the cases. The NH design is very easy to repalce the bearings and seals but the bearings dont last as long due to the short axle.

antfarmer2

The portapower is an option but the threaded rod should work. I have done this once and wont volunteer to do it again. I did use threaded rod but it was larger than 1/2" I think it was 3/4" but the races went in fairly easy. Here is waht I have learned since. The chain case needs very little oil to lube the chains and grease fittings can be installed in the tubes to lube the bearings. Takes quite a bit of grease to fill the tube initially but works much better than oil migration. Got the idea from NH they grease the bearings and run very little oil in the cases. The NH design is very easy to repalce the bearings and seals but the bearings dont last as long due to the short axle.
Ok will try the thread again with the slam hammer will let you know

Tazza

Staff member
Ok will try the thread again with the slam hammer will let you know
If it's short enough, i can't see why it wouldn't fit, even a small bottle jack with the pump facing downwards.
Give the cup and axle where it's machined a bit of oil before pulling it in too, it helps seat them with less force.

antfarmer2

If it's short enough, i can't see why it wouldn't fit, even a small bottle jack with the pump facing downwards.
Give the cup and axle where it's machined a bit of oil before pulling it in too, it helps seat them with less force.
Put in the new races yesterday bought a ten ton portapower with a extra short ram still hard to set up at the back but had the wife pump it for me ran out of hands now just waiting on bobcat to send new sleeves I think I am getting it!!!!!!

Tazza

Staff member
Put in the new races yesterday bought a ten ton portapower with a extra short ram still hard to set up at the back but had the wife pump it for me ran out of hands now just waiting on bobcat to send new sleeves I think I am getting it!!!!!!
Glad you are getting on top of it all, access as you have noticed is really horrible. If it's all done rite, you should never have to touch it again.

antfarmer2

Glad you are getting on top of it all, access as you have noticed is really horrible. If it's all done rite, you should never have to touch it again.
Ok have the bearings in and tight to about 150 ft all move about the same snug but turn well will hit them harder if this sounds about right and use lock tight used Tazzas trick with the bearing races to set seals worked great but had to use two to make it work thank you Tazza hope I am on the right track

Tazza

Staff member
Ok have the bearings in and tight to about 150 ft all move about the same snug but turn well will hit them harder if this sounds about right and use lock tight used Tazzas trick with the bearing races to set seals worked great but had to use two to make it work thank you Tazza hope I am on the right track
Sounds good, loctite on the bots is exactly what you are meant to do.