Re: Wiring problems with 743

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

superniceguy5687

Good day Billrbg: Thought I would start a new thread. I know everyone is busy especially with the New Year coming up. I still have not been able to take any pictures as of yet. No sooner I come home I am gone again and I really apologize for the lack in the pictures. But this is what I have been able to do so far. Went to Bobcat and talked with my sales guy there. Said that there is warranty on the harness. His manager came by and suggested that I take the orange wires off of the ignition switch and try it that way and see what happens? Said it should still start? I am not sure but will try that too when I get the time? The sales guy even suggested that I take the whole harness out and see if I can get a replacement. Something about warranty? I am still going to try the other things you had suggested billrbg. You are extremely knowledgeable and I appreciate all of your efforts and help. Also everyone else ,except for one whose comments were ,well ..... ? I will mention to the one though ,and I know they know who they are. My bobcat even though as old as it is is , all I do have and the fire was not as great as they think it was. It did not ,will repeat for that particular gentleman, did not burn down to the ground with nothing left at all. It was a couple relays ,some paint on the air cleaner housing, about two feet of wire, and that was it. The rest of it is FINE except for the issues this harness is causing. Everyone has their own opinions. Theirs ? They could send $50,000-$80,000 for a new machine I wont mind :) Till then everyone be safe and Merry Xas . I will get pics on ASAP.

billrbg

I peeked at the schematic, but it isn't quickly clear to me what disconnecting the ORG wire (12) would do. As you well know, a lot of wires "fan out" from the Ignition Switch (23) and I haven't studied enough to figure it all out. Without a schematic of the Ignition Switch internal circuit ( or a switch in-hand to "reverse engineer", I might never be sure. I don't think disconnecting that ORG wire at the Switch can hurt anything, just be sure to keep it from shorting to ground, so give it a try. Confirm (again): your prime problem is still the starter continuing to run after the key is released from the "start" position. correct?

OP
OP
S

superniceguy5687

I peeked at the schematic, but it isn't quickly clear to me what disconnecting the ORG wire (12) would do. As you well know, a lot of wires "fan out" from the Ignition Switch (23) and I haven't studied enough to figure it all out. Without a schematic of the Ignition Switch internal circuit ( or a switch in-hand to "reverse engineer", I might never be sure. I don't think disconnecting that ORG wire at the Switch can hurt anything, just be sure to keep it from shorting to ground, so give it a try. Confirm (again): your prime problem is still the starter continuing to run after the key is released from the "start" position. correct?
Yes that is correct sir. Just after it turns over and fires up with the key the starter manages to engage itself , slows the engine down( and tries to crank it all over again, while it is sitting there and idling. I know it sounds weird. I wish I could get a real good video on here , but with my luck it won't do it. I will try the orange wire. After that I think they can have the harness back. Meanwhile. I will still get the pictures and repost when i find out more. Till then. Take care.

Madbobcater743

Yes that is correct sir. Just after it turns over and fires up with the key the starter manages to engage itself , slows the engine down( and tries to crank it all over again, while it is sitting there and idling. I know it sounds weird. I wish I could get a real good video on here , but with my luck it won't do it. I will try the orange wire. After that I think they can have the harness back. Meanwhile. I will still get the pictures and repost when i find out more. Till then. Take care.
Superniceguy- are you handy with a multimeter? Next time you got to take a picture you should get a basic handle on your wiring.

Fefanatic

I had not paid much attention to the wiring on my 743 until yesterday. I realize the relays you speak of are one wire solenoids. I couldn't tell if the starter wire from the ignition switch went through them or not. What I did see is two plugs coming from the cab harness and going to the rest of the machine. The quick way to eliminate the machine side is to start the machine and unplug those plugs. You should have a manual shut off knob to kill the engine so disconnecting those plugs shouldn't affect the engine running. If your starter issue goes away with the connectors unplugged then you should look at the ignition switch. If not then look at the relays and all wiring going to the starter. My starter has a "S" and a "I" terminal on it. If you have the Kubota diesel there shoudn't be any wires going to the "I" terminal. There should only be one wire on the S terminal. Troubleshooting wiring issues are not hard to do if you go by it methodically. Disconnecting the harness at the cab will confirm or eliminate one side of the wiring or the other. As I said, if the problem disappears by disconnecting the harnesses then you know the problem lies in the cab wiring. No more need to worry about relays or any lower wiring. JMO

OP
OP
S

superniceguy5687

Good day Mr. Billrbg: Sorry haven't been on in a long time. Thought I would give you an update on the wiring. Yes I am pretty good with a multimeter. Can't remember if it was you asking or another gentleman was inquiring. Well I finally gave up on it. After everything that I did it was still the same. So, I ended up taking into the shop. Well after they literally raped me, they supposedly found the problem. The starter relay. I told them that I just bought a new one and that it was in the machine already. They said that the contacts were probably touching inside the relay causing it to stay cranking. Honestly if it does it after I pick it up , I will totally lose it and I won't be supernice anymore. I am still sore after the rape. I don't get it . I did buy a new relay , took that one back and they gave me this one as an Exchange. Could it really be that bad of a batch of relays. Will be picking it up this week we are currently in a deep freeze weatherwise. I guess my wiring job was okay in their eyes. Never said anything about my wiring job. I am just wondering how honest they are now. Or did they play with the wiring? I will definitely be checking their work now. I just know , it better be working . They were also saying that the mechanic had to prime it before he could start it. They were wondering if I wanted them to check that out for me. Mmm, not at their prices. Will let you know the outcome after I bring it home. Thank you very much for your advice and knowledge. Very much appreciated.

Tazza

Staff member
Good day Mr. Billrbg: Sorry haven't been on in a long time. Thought I would give you an update on the wiring. Yes I am pretty good with a multimeter. Can't remember if it was you asking or another gentleman was inquiring. Well I finally gave up on it. After everything that I did it was still the same. So, I ended up taking into the shop. Well after they literally raped me, they supposedly found the problem. The starter relay. I told them that I just bought a new one and that it was in the machine already. They said that the contacts were probably touching inside the relay causing it to stay cranking. Honestly if it does it after I pick it up , I will totally lose it and I won't be supernice anymore. I am still sore after the rape. I don't get it . I did buy a new relay , took that one back and they gave me this one as an Exchange. Could it really be that bad of a batch of relays. Will be picking it up this week we are currently in a deep freeze weatherwise. I guess my wiring job was okay in their eyes. Never said anything about my wiring job. I am just wondering how honest they are now. Or did they play with the wiring? I will definitely be checking their work now. I just know , it better be working . They were also saying that the mechanic had to prime it before he could start it. They were wondering if I wanted them to check that out for me. Mmm, not at their prices. Will let you know the outcome after I bring it home. Thank you very much for your advice and knowledge. Very much appreciated.
Glad it's "fixed" I really hope for you that is really is, it's a shame you had a bad experience with the dealer though, I know they can be pricey......

OP
OP
S

superniceguy5687

Glad it's "fixed" I really hope for you that is really is, it's a shame you had a bad experience with the dealer though, I know they can be pricey......
Thx for the reply tazza. Well still haven't been able to go and get it yet. But , I agree with you about the pricey part of it. But it better not have any issues with the starting problem that I took it in there for. They said that the mechanic had to squeeze the fuel bulb to get it primed. What could be the problem with that ? Fuel pump? Or something else.

Tazza

Staff member
Thx for the reply tazza. Well still haven't been able to go and get it yet. But , I agree with you about the pricey part of it. But it better not have any issues with the starting problem that I took it in there for. They said that the mechanic had to squeeze the fuel bulb to get it primed. What could be the problem with that ? Fuel pump? Or something else.
The primer bulb could be a leaky pickup tube in the fuel tank. I believe this is something you can repair on your own. Replacing all the hose isn't a hard job if you went that far.

oracle_of_ferndale

Superniceguy - Did the dealer fix your 743? I am having the same problem. Would help me to know if yours is resolved. Thanks.