Rake Teeth ie "The Cursed Rake"

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Arctic_Dee

Greetings Everyone :) I have a old NH grapel root rake. This thing has... Been through a lot. It was on board the space shuttle challenger when it exploded. Became entangled in a fishermans net and sank the boat. The heavy marine salvers who re-floated the fishing boat took the rake for scrap. It was stolen from them and sold into the slave market in Zimbabwe where it caused so much trouble it was donated to the U.S. Military where it was used in the sand box for land mine removal for several years. After years of destroying the tanks that were using it, the DOD decided that it was not cost effienct enough to continue using it. I received it as a parting gift from the Yukaza with the explicit instructions not to give it back. I would gladly deep 6 this cursed thing into the Mariana Trench however, I fear it would somehow end up back in my lap. After I have spent thousands of dollars and hours replacing hydraulic hoses, the teeth are worn down to the point to where my tired old equipment cant seem to do a good job with it. So now, its either down to buying a new rake or replacing the teeth on it. As much as I hate this thing, its the rainy season here so, I have far more time then money... In my minds eye, the best way is to cut the old teeth out and weld in some new 1/2 x 2" flat bar. I think that I should tig a bunch of hard facing on the teeth before I weld them back in. This project has enough hours in it to hold me until the 2nd coming of Christ. Also, I dont want to put a ton of work into it and discover that I made the teeth too long and they just bend over on the 1st day... In the pics I have tried to soapstone some marks and set a couple of new 'teeth' close to position for greater ease of scrutiny. All comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time :) https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=190297408226568&set=pb.100017389302408.-2207520000.1517906573.&type=3&size=408%2C306 .

Tazza

Staff member
I have had repairs like this too, you wonder how people ever let them get to that point.... As long as the price was right.
Personally, i wouldn't TIG hard facing to the teeth or other wear surfaces, i'd mig it on. I have a toll of hard facing for my mig, i have yet to use it, but it's there for when i am really bored and want to lay some of it down.