Purchase help/input, please. Newbie Drivel.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sawdust

Good morning....newbie post. I'm a self-employed builder that has decided to purchase a used Bobcat, primarily for (light) site prep, augering holes for decks/pole construction, snow removal on my (loooong) driveway, and other unauthorized mischief. I've (finally!) sold a spec. house that I've been sitting on. From past experiences.....it'll get steel tracks, period. It HAS to be a Bobcat w/Kubota diesel....I'm really familiar with both operating and maintaining them....and there's a couple pretty decent dealers fairly close by. I want to spend an absolute max of 10K, and I want to be able to tow it with an E-350SD van. From what looking I've done (and comparison to machines I've rented) the 753 & 763 are a pretty good 'fit' in terms of weight, power, and physical size. I just recently rented an S130 (with only 27 hrs) and it was perfect....but I ain't gonna' get an S130 for 10K. From shopping (in my general area....), it appears that what is gonna' fit in my parameters is probably going to be less than 10 years old and probably be in the 1500-2500 hr. range. Other than the obvious stuff like flogged bushings, welds all over the place, etc., what do I need to keep in mind looking at these machines to purchase? Most of my experience between the sticks has been in iron that's a lot newer that what I envision I can afford. Do I spend the whole shot on 'good' used......or do I lower my sights, save some $$ and feed offa' the bottom knowing that I'm going to go through it. I've got a very well outfitted shop and good mechanical skills....but I don't want to just 'buy a job' with the same net result. Am I looking for champagne on a beer budget? Any input, warning, caveats would be really appreciated. Thanks!

skidsteer.ca

That kinda of money should get you a clean older 753 763 in the later 90's.
look for loose pins on the quick attach and rod end of the dump cylinder. Machine with the boss bar guage panel are more likely to have accuate hour meters but keeping the panel working with all the related sensors (that go south btween 2000 and 3000 hous) can be a b*tch. Once you get to 99 G series (with the triangle head lights) they all have the engine monitoring system that can shut you down if the sendor tell the engine something is amiss.
Don't get me wrong this is a good idea, it is just that the parts don't last the life of the machine.
I know one guy who had the dealer dump 1600 cdn into his 753c to fix it.
The rest of the machine is pretty bullet proof, provided it has not been abused with lack of grease and oil changes (loose pins and blowby) . Or hammer to death buy some idiot behind the sticks. the later being obvious, just look for the bent up cab, bucket etc
Do check the engine blowby, and feel the engine block to make sure its cold b4 you start it, then see how quickly it quits smoking and smooths out and runs nice.
Dealer should let you rent it, private guys should let you test it in their yards, maybe rent
Ken

OP
OP
S

sawdust

That kinda of money should get you a clean older 753 763 in the later 90's.
look for loose pins on the quick attach and rod end of the dump cylinder. Machine with the boss bar guage panel are more likely to have accuate hour meters but keeping the panel working with all the related sensors (that go south btween 2000 and 3000 hous) can be a b*tch. Once you get to 99 G series (with the triangle head lights) they all have the engine monitoring system that can shut you down if the sendor tell the engine something is amiss.
Don't get me wrong this is a good idea, it is just that the parts don't last the life of the machine.
I know one guy who had the dealer dump 1600 cdn into his 753c to fix it.
The rest of the machine is pretty bullet proof, provided it has not been abused with lack of grease and oil changes (loose pins and blowby) . Or hammer to death buy some idiot behind the sticks. the later being obvious, just look for the bent up cab, bucket etc
Do check the engine blowby, and feel the engine block to make sure its cold b4 you start it, then see how quickly it quits smoking and smooths out and runs nice.
Dealer should let you rent it, private guys should let you test it in their yards, maybe rent
Ken
After looking at more overpriced, (and/or!) thrashed machines than you can imagine....I finally found 'the' one yesterday at a dealer and purchased it. Little smaller than I had my sights set on (but lighter...so my truck will like it)....a '98 751F with the Kubota motor. Suprisingly nice (original) paint, 1200 hrs, fresh dealer service, new tires, smooth bucket, pallet forks. Fired immediately (cold engine) at a little under 20F, every pin and grease point shows a grease stain in the paint, everything appears bone-dry. 8K w/delivery (100 miles). I hadn't really wanted one quite that small.....but then I start thinking about what a friend/competitor does with a really well-used old 743....and he can do more damage with that than I expect to do. Here's the question: The dealer will put a good used set of grouser 'bar-style' tracks and wheel spacers on it for 1K.....and that sounds like the high side of 'fair'....but I may be all wet. I need to let him know today. Any input? Thanks!

WebbCo

After looking at more overpriced, (and/or!) thrashed machines than you can imagine....I finally found 'the' one yesterday at a dealer and purchased it. Little smaller than I had my sights set on (but lighter...so my truck will like it)....a '98 751F with the Kubota motor. Suprisingly nice (original) paint, 1200 hrs, fresh dealer service, new tires, smooth bucket, pallet forks. Fired immediately (cold engine) at a little under 20F, every pin and grease point shows a grease stain in the paint, everything appears bone-dry. 8K w/delivery (100 miles). I hadn't really wanted one quite that small.....but then I start thinking about what a friend/competitor does with a really well-used old 743....and he can do more damage with that than I expect to do. Here's the question: The dealer will put a good used set of grouser 'bar-style' tracks and wheel spacers on it for 1K.....and that sounds like the high side of 'fair'....but I may be all wet. I need to let him know today. Any input? Thanks!
Sounds fair to me. new ones are much more! Your lucky to find a set of used tracks at all!

skidsteer.ca

Sounds fair to me. new ones are much more! Your lucky to find a set of used tracks at all!
See how loose the pivot pins are and how much meet is left in the bars.
Those are a $2000 and spacers new are 250, (they last forever if installed and torqued right)
Don't sound bad unless they are really worn. You will like the 751 its a 753 with a few less bells and wistles, but a good solid machine. If it has original paint then you know how it was cared for on the outside atleast
Ken

OP
OP
S

sawdust

See how loose the pivot pins are and how much meet is left in the bars.
Those are a $2000 and spacers new are 250, (they last forever if installed and torqued right)
Don't sound bad unless they are really worn. You will like the 751 its a 753 with a few less bells and wistles, but a good solid machine. If it has original paint then you know how it was cared for on the outside atleast
Ken
Thanks Mark & Ken... I just called them and told them to screw 'em on before they deliver it tomorrow or Saturday. Get the women and children offa' the streets that day. I wanna' go tear something up (or down....). Now....to find a trailer..... Thanks again. Jim