Problems with Model 453

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jsimpson

I bought a used 453 with 500 hours. It has two problems: I can only opeate it for ten minutes before the hydraulics cease to function. The bucket slowly drops down with feet off the pedals. What viscosity Shell Naturelle HFE should I use for hydraulic oil? Would a fan-assisted hydraulic oil cooler that does not use engine cooling air help in South Florida?

StuZ

Forget the cooler, find the problem !! Pick up a couple hyd. filters first, then make sure your pedal linkage is neutraled in the valve housing under the seat. I think they came with a 10W30 weight hyd oil, but where you are you mite try straight 30W hyd oil

StuZ

Forget the cooler, find the problem !! Pick up a couple hyd. filters first, then make sure your pedal linkage is neutraled in the valve housing under the seat. I think they came with a 10W30 weight hyd oil, but where you are you mite try straight 30W hyd oil
Looks like the pump is cheaper than the tilt cylinder.

OP
OP
J

jsimpson

whatcha mean by the pump is cheaper than the tilt cylinder?
One problem disappeared: the hydraulics don't quit on me amymore. But the bucket still slowly drops open and down. the machine had the cooler emoved (musta leaked) and I suspect all my o-rings in my hydraulics have heat hardened. Time to start replacing o-rings.

OP
OP
J

jsimpson

One problem disappeared: the hydraulics don't quit on me amymore. But the bucket still slowly drops open and down. the machine had the cooler emoved (musta leaked) and I suspect all my o-rings in my hydraulics have heat hardened. Time to start replacing o-rings.
I replaced the oil cooler, and installed an electric fuel pump to bypass the mechanical pump. Runs great, works hard. Still drops the bucket but I haven't had time to adjust the linkage. I'm more concerned about the loud grinding noise that occasioanlly popped up. Now I've got a clanking sound at the left rear when I go over bumps. I think an axle bearing bit the dust. I'll jack it up and take a look next week.

StuZ

I replaced the oil cooler, and installed an electric fuel pump to bypass the mechanical pump. Runs great, works hard. Still drops the bucket but I haven't had time to adjust the linkage. I'm more concerned about the loud grinding noise that occasioanlly popped up. Now I've got a clanking sound at the left rear when I go over bumps. I think an axle bearing bit the dust. I'll jack it up and take a look next week.
If the axle bearing went out make sure you flush, and change the diff oil If the tilt cylinder ends up being the problem, you will need a spanner wrench to take it apart.

reno611

If the axle bearing went out make sure you flush, and change the diff oil If the tilt cylinder ends up being the problem, you will need a spanner wrench to take it apart.
The loud clanking noise could very well be the back door if it is not locked REAL tight. Metal fragments in the fluid will cut the cylinder walls and ruin the piston packing, if this happens it will leak down slowly. It will cost big money to repair properly..I placed a magnet in my fluid tank and managed to clean up some of the metal in my machine. I fish it out with a magnet on a coat hanger..I use old speaker magnets, works for me..

Latest posts