Possible blown head gasket

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Sauntrer

So I've plenty of other people's machines but this is the first I've owned and could use some help diagnosing a few problems. I've got an '02 S185. I had it checked out by a mechanic and he tells me I need a new head gasket. It doesn't seem to have any symptom. Starts easy, every time, sounds good, no smoke or smells, doesn't overheat. How can I identify if this actually needs to be done? Is it going to cause further engine damage if I continue using it in this condition? Problem two, rust in the coolant tank. Simply a matter of changing the rad? How to identify other parts that may need replacing? I'm only intend to put about 150 hours on it over the next year so if I can put it off and still use it without doing serious damage. I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

Tazza

Staff member
One way to know if the gasket or head is gone is if there are bubbles in the radiator when running.
If it is using coolant, oil in coolant, oil in oil are all signs of a cracked head or blown gasket. Sadly Kubota engines crack heads more than they blow head gaskets i'm afraid.
I'd like to say that it will be fine even if it had a crack or head gasket issue, but if you run it and coolant gets into a cylinder, when you crank it next, it can hydro-lock and break your piston or con-rod.
Personally, if it runs well, and there are no fluid loss, i'd not worry about it.
As for the rust, it could be that coolant was not used, and just water allowing the internals to rust a little and stain the over flow tank. If you are concerned, run some engine flush in it to try and disolve the rust in the radiator/engine.

rodbuilder

From an old custom engine builder: An engine with a bad head gasket COULD still run OK, but if it's causing a water leak or oil to get in the radiator THEN you have a real problem...............and it might not show up by the way the engine starts or runs! 1. Look for air bubbles in the radiator, AFTER it's already warmed up. If they are there is COULD be a head gasket, cracked head, OR even a cracked block. KEEP AN EYE ON THE COOLANT LEVEL OVER A FEW HOURS TIME. 2. Check the oil dipstick and look for an ugly tan mix of oil and water. 3. If all those are negative and you REALLY want to be sure, remove all the injectors and do a compression test on it. "bad head gasket" usually means a loss of compression........but NOT always, if the "break" is between an oil passage and the cooling system! If one of those isn't there, your "mechanic" needs to bite the big one and go back to school!!!

rodbuilder

And a cracked head CAN be welded but I wouldn't repair a cracked head on a diesel because of the high cylinder pressure in them.

LJ4240

And a cracked head CAN be welded but I wouldn't repair a cracked head on a diesel because of the high cylinder pressure in them.
A few months too late, but you could pressurize the radiator to the pressure on the cap and see how long it holds to help determine if the head gasket is leaking.

tjc

So I've plenty of other people's machines but this is the first I've owned and could use some help diagnosing a few problems. I've got an '02 S185. I had it checked out by a mechanic and he tells me I need a new head gasket. It doesn't seem to have any symptom. Starts easy, every time, sounds good, no smoke or smells, doesn't overheat. How can I identify if this actually needs to be done? Is it going to cause further engine damage if I continue using it in this condition? Problem two, rust in the coolant tank. Simply a matter of changing the rad? How to identify other parts that may need replacing? I'm only intend to put about 150 hours on it over the next year so if I can put it off and still use it without doing serious damage. I would appreciate any advice you guys have.

tjc

So if your head gasket is shot there would be some kind of symptoms. Overheating, water in the oil, oil in the water, white smoke from the exhaust., Things like that if you have none of these run it keep an eye out for any of them symptoms and do your thing.